New to large MTT

J

jpalumbos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play lots of live STT and 2 or 3 table tourneys. I play tons of online STTs. I also play a lot of live $1/2NL cash games. I usually fare better in the tourneys but can hold my own in cash, also.

I've played in very few large MTTs, but I want to play in the 2-day $400 tourney at Foxwoods in Feb. Any advice?

20,000 starting chips, 30-min blinds, 2 flights on day-1, and 8 (EIGHT) levels of reentry.

MasterTur

MasterTur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jpalumbos, I can't give you advice, but I Want know too what people here have to say about that.

I'm new too in large MTT. One day playing to me, looks like very tiring.
I currently don't have the physical and mental condicion to play more than one day

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How have you done when you played large MTT's in the past? Did anything in particular stand out to you? How long do you usually play 1/2 and do you have any trouble with focus with longer hours? Are you planning to have multiple buy ins? Did you have specific concerns or questions about the bigger field MTT? These questions can help to steer better answers.

Generally speaking you sound like you are pretty familiar with the game and have some experience. I'm guessing in the 2-3 table games your playing now you may not have the stack depth and blind levels like the tournament you plan to play. That could be something you will have to adjust too. Best general advice is play patient, keep yourself comfortable at the table and play each hand as well as you can. With all the STT experience once you get to the final table you will be all set!! :)

J

jpalumbos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the comments, JPTS.

I've played 2 very large MTTs ($2500 entry, multi-day,2-hr levels). And was out before the 5th level in each. In the 1st (Rio, wsop), I played poorly down to less than half my starting stack. I shoved A-10 when I flopped TP-TK and the pre-flop raiser checked. (With 3 players, I had about 1 1/2x the pot left.) PFR had caught a small set.

In the 2nd (Venetian), I had a couple tough beats. My KK lost to a JJ7-flop when out of pos. Later, I shoved AA on the turn when a very loose, uber-aggressive player had caught his small inside-straight, after calling my 2 raises. In both those hands, things went as I'd hoped -- my Pre flop raise narrowed it down to 3 players, including a specific villain I was targeting in each. In the 2nd,I was sure that the only hand that could bear me was 74 that called 2 raises. (I was right!)

If anything, I think I played aggressively too early in those tourneys. In smaller ones, I've often failed to take stack size into account.

I have played 1/2 for 6-7 hrs easily many times, and 10-12 hrs a few times. but focus can be an issue after e while.

One concern is keeping track of pot size, and sometimes stack size with the larger starting stacks, since I'm not used to that. I'm also concerned about playing against a higher caliber of players than in used to.

More thoughts appreciated.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have some minimal large MTT experience as well and fared similarily to jpalumbos. I busted roughly 4 levels in on one of them on a hand that I certainly should not have gone broke on. The piece of advice I can give is to pace yourself, especially in a multi-day tourney. Look for decent spots to pick up some chips and don't get too crazy with medium strength hands early on.

E

emperord201

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Drink loads of coffee (for concentration) and lemonade/water (for hydration).

The first tournament I played I finished 83/600, £200x3 accumulator. Aspers

The second tournament I played I done awful and got bullied out of the tournament, £165 deep stack mint

The advice I'll give is play your own game be patient and declined and focus.