Need help with this hand

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tonight I played in the+25 free roll and started off good but noticed I was getting pushed around later in the tourney. I noticed that every time i put a three bet people would jam all in. Like they knew I wouldn't go all in. Does the HUD tell them I don't call all in . This ended up causing me to leak allot of chips.

I've always been a post flop player. Maybe telling too much on here what hands i push with and weather I'll fold. I do admit that I'm tight but just having problems shoving on what I think are 50/50 chances on large amount of chips.

One hand I know of I thought he had mid pair and I had a,k suited and I couldn't do it. He flashed me his cards and he did have pair of eights. I just didn't want to put all my chips in. I think this might be stopping me from getting to the final finished 15 tonight. What do you think.:ciao:

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your VPIP and fold to 3bet stats must be nice and high.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's nothing wrong with calling an all in shove with AK suited, especially if you've got some chips to work with. I start out very tight against all in shoves in the beginning of those tournaments, but I loosen up once I've built a stack (50+ BB). From there, you want to call those you've got stacked, take their chips and keep moving up in places. Just watch out for the other big stacks that can bust you in the face. I've seen deep stacks shove just because they've got AA or KK. You want to remain tight against those opponents.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players might have just noticed you were folding more than average/afraid to get it all-in, in addition to a lot of people in push/fold mode later in the tourney or just big stacks being pushy.

I've felt that way before, but then other times it feels the opposite.. so it could just be the way the cards happened to lie. Sometimes you just have to take a stand too and play back, but that can end up bad as well.. you win some you lose some. You can make all the right moves and still lose.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, there is a stat on most HUDs that tracks how often you fold to 3-bets. If you're only willing to play premium hands in those situations then players that know how to use their HUD will definitely target you.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I think is that you do not trust your game, you must have more control and confidence in your played hands.:cool:

B

bttrkks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there are way more stats for Allin than VPIP and 3bet Stats. I would advise you to invest the 99 USD and buy PT4. I have it now couple of weeks and my game just exploded. Honestly, i played yesterday on phone, when the internet was gone and i felt so limited.

The 99 USD are a good and solid investment and you will get it back. I love that tool, and i learn every day more and it helps me to undesrstand poker way better. But also inplay it helps me to stay disciplined and not to get tilted.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tonight I played in the+25 free roll and started off good but noticed I was getting pushed around later in the tourney.

On later phases AI ranges are very wide there is no calling when shallow and there is no mostly folding given they would lose too much of their stack to win tourney anymore. I play just tiny tiny bit tourneys now and then, it really is mind boggling how wide people play but math vise that is the correct play. So a noob advise, they don’t care about your stats because they have so few hands from you and your style changes (should change!!!) so much from early phase to later phase.

Secondary the too aggressive ones have a really good chance to see later stages compared to too passive ones. It's not unusual to see typical too tight player to blind out from the tourney.

Last edited:
J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On later phases AI ranges are very wide there is no calling when shallow and there is no mostly folding given they would lose too much of their stack to win tourney anymore. I play just tiny tiny bit tourneys now and then, it really is mind boggling how wide people play but math vise that is the correct play. So a noob advise, they don’t care about your stats because they have so few hands from you and your style changes (should change!!!) so much from early phase to later phase.

Secondary the too aggressive ones have a really good chance to see later stages compared to too passive ones. It's not unusual to see typical too tight player to blind out from the tourney.

I am by no means a push over. I'm very aggressive post flop. My pre flop all in ranges are very narrow. Seemed like all of a sudden every time i got into a hand they would jam all in. I got knocked out at 15 so I would like to think these where better players. Maybe using a HUD since I don't have one. I can tell a difference in play from the regular free rolls. Didn't feel like the usual call with anything group. Have to say I enjoyed the game. Let's play poker:ciao:

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I'll call a3 bet. Just have trouble going all in unless I have AA,KK pre flop. I wonder if the huds tell them this.

These freerolls have post flop game only early on , after some levels where the blinds are shallow you can't open raise and fold after a 3bet. That's why is preferable to open shove. You should adapt to the structure and don't 3bet light. KK,AA pushing/calling range is a severe leak of your game , you should play with equity in a program like Equilab. Also search for some push/fold charts there are many out there :)

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some time you just have to gamble to win tourney thats also part off game

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People get a sense of your game play if you aren't winning hands and coming across strong then you will get pushed around

K

knocker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing you have to understand is that freerolls are full of bad players. If they were any good they'd be playing with their own money in a real tournament. Nobody has any money invested so they don't care what happens really. Anything they get is free money. People start shoving around with 6/7 in those things. Shove range for some people in freerolls starts at like pocket 22's.

Keep that in mind and when you've got a good hand don't be afraid to call.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's ok to be cautious and not want to risk your stack with marginal holdings pre flop in the early part of the tourney, but you can't let yourself get too short stacked and lose any fold equity. You need to commit to a hand and shove if you only have 10 bigs or so. Then you might find you start getting respect. :)

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes HUDs give your villains ALL kinds of information. If you are unwilling to get a HUD for yourself you should atleast do some research on them and find out what your villains have access too.

K

knocker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can defeat that by just not 3 betting. Flat call and go to the flop when you have the feeling people are picking off your 3 bets for free. If you think you're a good player post flop, just plain get post flop when that's happening. At least then you can call shoves when you've seen a board.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You haven't given much information about the hand, for example stack sizes, but regardless of that later on in these kinds of games you have to get it in at some stage of other. You could do a lot worse than AKs although in this situation it seems like you would have been slightly behind.

If you're not sure whether you're making the right plays maybe try an ICM quiz where you'll be given hole cards in a spot and have to say fold/shove/call. If you get a good result you're probably doing alright.. You might find your decisions are a little too nitty or otherwise.

Practice makes perfect! [emoji3]

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the bottom line on playing MTTs with, say, a few hundred players, is that you won't reach the final table without going all in probably more than once. You might reach the money playing tight but getting thru to the big money will always force you to gamble at some point. In the late stages when the blind pressure is lowering your stack you need to open your shoving range....in your example shoving with AK was the right choice. Sure the other guy had 88 but you were only a 45-55% underdog...almost even money.

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe you are not 3 betting your monsters? KKs QQs getting smooth calls? if you did this then you have the ammo to call their craziness

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

That is what they accused my game of being at first. To conservative. Heres a tip when they dont think its your turn to win there going to jam you and blind you that way. If its your turn to win they will play According to Hoyal and you should do alright. If you need to make money in poker then you need to take a break between wins. Finding the days they don't jam is the hard part.

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question whether their hud gave them the respective information. To answer that question you should download a good hud, play and collect your stats in order to analyse them.

Depending on how serious you take the game you should truly do that in order to tweak your game.

Same with the AK hand. A hud could help you to find out whether your opponent has a good hand. Or to be more concrete what probability is.

All the best for your game!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands