Must I learn to fold top pair+ top kicker?

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please only reply if you are a good/ experienced poker player.

I am an OK player. I win but not significant amounts. Here are some examples of how I get knocked out from tournaments most often:

I raise 3BB with AA.
Flop is 5 - 8 - Q
I bet half pot. Opponent shoves. I call...because I can't fold. Because I believe I have best had. I believe he has AQ or KQ.

I raise with AK.
Flop is 2 - 6 - A
I bet. He raises/shoves. I have to call with top pair top kicker. He has A6 (two pair, I lose).

I don't have the strength to fold these hands. I also feel like if I start folding to these players I am missing value for the times when I am ahead.

Does anyone here believe that always folding to a big shove is more profitable in the long run?

And I ALREADY KNOW it depends on circumstances and different players, but online tournaments often we don't have a lot of info to work with.

G

Gosselin33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I play every day, all tournament is diferent. Some u can all in with AA, n win. Others u canot, because the others players. If a tounament is the beggins u dnt go all in cause they r call u with 2 3, 4 5, ..., n the flop help they. But if close of a buble u can cause the players if go is more better, só they dont call u with 2 3, some times kkk. I allready call with 2 3, and lose hahaha but no at all do this.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please only reply if you are a good/ experienced poker player.

I am an OK player. I win but not significant amounts. Here are some examples of how I get knocked out from tournaments most often:

I raise 3BB with AA.
Flop is 5 - 8 - Q
I bet half pot. Opponent shoves. I call...because I can't fold. Because I believe I have best had. I believe he has AQ or KQ.

I raise with AK.
Flop is 2 - 6 - A
I bet. He raises/shoves. I have to call with top pair top kicker. He has A6 (two pair, I lose).

I don't have the strength to fold these hands. I also feel like if I start folding to these players I am missing value for the times when I am ahead.

Does anyone here believe that always folding to a big shove is more profitable in the long run?

And I ALREADY KNOW it depends on circumstances and different players, but online tournaments often we don't have a lot of info to work with.
depends on the stack sizes and players, if really deep early in an MTT against a passive player then ok to fold AA to a shove.

If late and down to 20bb - 30bbs etc against an aggro player then you shouldnt fold as they can have so many top pair hands other overpairs, draws or pure bluffs etc

G

Gosselin33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My english is no good. Sorry if i write some wrong. But that i learn losing hehehe in the begin i play ppoker.

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A6 really depends on the table and the tournament. If it's a decent sized buy in at a full ring, I think you are safe to assume you have the best. Maybe they have a draw and so they shove? Maybe they paired something and are shallow like was said, so they decide this is the spot.

But there's many times where a good player will shove two pair thinking they'll get value out of top pair top kicker, so I don't think you can say it's 100% either way. This is probably one of the situations where you have to read the player and decide.

Trips also tend to play out like this too, he could just as easily have 66 here.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have no read on the player your moves are always correct in these situations. If, and only if, you have some sort of read based on range/action of an opponent should you opt for something else. In most situations you will have the best hand, especially if its a lower limit tourney.

And of course stack size and position and how close to the money you are (and how much you will be ok with winning) play a lot into this. If your objective is to outright win the tourney your moves here are always correct, if your objective is to just make the money then I can see folding (especially the AK).

Exceptions would be if you are in a satellite and are close to the prize with a healthy stack (where all winners get paid the same thing). Here you can fold more often, but in this case it may be wise to just push AI preflop since any value doesnt help you all that much in the long run. This way hopefully you just steal the blinds and weed the outdrawers out from the get go.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am curious where you are playing. If this is Bovada, then I can see the issues with reads since most of the time you have no idea who you are playing which makes this a much more difficult scenario.

If this is a site where you can use poker-edge, then I suggest getting it, it will help you a lot in these situations.

E

erysett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online tournaments you never know who you play with , depend of your stack, if the tournament is in bubble or not, depend of more many factors, you can lose with AA in front of 2-7 sometimes

anonimalit

anonimalit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard talk these pre flop hands in micro stakes, more WHAT YOU can observe and the player who gave shove is regular or not, if he has good showdowns etc.

Folding in Poker