Multi-way

L

linda1963

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can anyone give advice on playing multi-way pots and how these spots effect your calling/3-betting ranges

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
multi way. these are difficult spots. Therefore, there is no universal advice here. A lot depends on the situation - your position at the table, how many players are involved, what their actions were, etc. We can say that it is better to avoid such situations. When you do play Multi-way, strong hands are played aggressively and weak hands are folded. bluffing is very rare. A very important condition is what limits you play.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can anyone give advice on playing multi-way pots and how these spots effect your calling/3-betting ranges

Thank you for posting

Multiway pots always reduce the equity of big pairs but often give us good odds to call draws.

Therefore we will try to get folds with one pair instead of building pots. We do this by adjusting our bet sizing larger.

Multiway if our V will fold we often want to raise our strong but not nut draws post flop

example

3 way We hold QTdd Open raiser bets flop 9d7d2x we call and the third player calls we suspect nut flush draw by third player

Turn we improve our equity but do not hit the flush- Turn is Q or T for top pair or 8s gives us straight draw. Even if we think the opener is ahead of us we want to raise to get the 3rd player to fold their flush draw. Why? the worst possible outcome for us is to make a flush and be second best.

If however we have AX nut flush draw instead we let the third player overcall hoping to over flush them.

Hope this helps
:):)

L

linda1963

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your answers it's good of you to take the time.

L

linda1963

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently asked for advice on playing multi-way and how these spots should effect my calling or 3-betting ranges. I think I worded this question badly so please accept my apologies, and I hope I do better this time.
I think I should have asked :
Can anyone give any advice on how the expectation of playing multi-way pots affect my pre-flop 3-betting and flat calling ranges?:confused: