MTTs and sleep

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday, after barely getting any sleep this week, I decided to play some MTTs.
At first I was playing good, getting into some regular spots, and what not.

Then when I started getting sleepy, I started giving way too much credit to certain cards, and played like a maniac. Which to my recollection, I have yet to do. I stated seeing all SC as premium hands, the sad part is I had been 1st for playing good prior to that, and just started dozing off and not caring anymore.

How much would you say sleep affects your ability to do well in MTTs? I know for me it messed up a FT run for sure :/

You can only play MTTs if you are fresh. You have to know how long will the target MTT last and if you are tired or sleepy do not play poker. Or play CG then, you can finish that anytime. :)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Physical exercise during the break and coffee)

P

paulsnover12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no sleep, lose big!

Playing poker on little sleep is the worst time to play. I used to play on pokerstars and the best games were always at night. Big guarantees with low entry. I grinded all night in a 10k $100 entry just to call all my chips preflop with AJ to AK. SOmething i NEVER do especially so close to a cash. When you feel yourself making bad decisions for no reason just stop playing. You might not realize your tired but take a 20 minute break and youll know

D

Dick_Huff

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sleep is crucial to every aspect of life. Lack of sleep has effects on the bodies psyche, so obviously having a lack of sleep will effect decision making and you will NOT be playing at 100%

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a crazy old world! Sleep is vital, and especially to poker, and I do at times find myself dozing off while sitting playing, so the best solution is to mobile up and go walkabout, while still playing. Further proof of this is that last night, for once I didn't fancy playing poker, so ended up in a 3 hour session playing FIFA15. I didn't fall asleep once! I know that if I had been playing poker I would have dozed off.

So, why is this? It's simple really. Being active keeps you awake longer than sitting at a table playing poker. Also, physical fitness impacts on your brains ability to work cerebrally for longer. So, get off your assess and walk around. When playing poker, and when not, do some exercise, you can play longer and stay alert longer. This is why physical fitness is key to playing sit down poker!

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its happened to me before lots of times, you get far into a MTT and then your body goes "just bust out so we can sleep, yeh?"

S

seghill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tired is the same as any sport - if you are not physically and mentally fit you will suffer for it. You need to stay alert for 4 hours to relly make money at MTT's.

The 5 minute breaks give you time for a quick walk or toilet stop and drink - unfortunately at my age I need 10 minutes for all.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it is getting late I will only fire low buyins Turbo MTTs.

Sometimes I fell asleep as I was getting deep into tourneys. Not funny.

I was doing micro sleep between hands but it can only work for a while. Eventually there's the blackout lol.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It makes a huge difference, specially because MTTs last for lots of hours, you are much more likely to make lots and lots of mistakes, because you lack concentration.

Profound!

I'd never really put much thought into this before.

I'm definitely going to be making some big adjustments right away with sleep being a big part of that!

T

titomurcia1214

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Affects sleep when you unconsciously try to finish everthing faster and makes you have less patience to play

Bob23bk

Bob23bk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was doing micro sleep between hands but it can only work for a while. Eventually there's the blackout lol.

Nothing like a micro sleep at the table :sleep:

And the blackout? Oh my favorite is when you wake up in bed with no recollection (or on the floor:p)

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the blackout? Oh my favorite is when you wake up in bed with no recollection (or on the floor:p)
When I woke up, one look at the screen and I knew what happened. I was blinded out of the tournament and I was not in a good mood.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember so many times back before black friday where i basically purposely busted an mtt just because i was so tired. so i think the best advice is if you're not gonna be able to stay awake for 4-8 hours, don't register.