MTT Starting Hands

LeonardBuda

LeonardBuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you use the attached starting hand table for MTT's? Personally I think it's too tight but maybe that's what's required. Your thoughts? Screenshot 20180825 102308 Pinterest

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too tight, imo.

Folding AJo and 66 means you are going to blind out late and not steal enough. You are also going to lose your limp a lot if you play according to the chart.

Remember that even if this was acceptable, you never want to play a static range. It should fluctuate based on position and you should have occasional semi-bluffs in there as well

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the table helps but remember that even if you have percentages you have more possibilities following the table perp the truth that does not mean that you win while you use it are sometimes probalities have the strongest hand and opponent or opponent or opponent have weak hands and even hands and garbage you lose everything depends on the percipience when playing strong hands
:bebored:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think this table is way to tight. Later on in the event you are going to be short stacked and folding way to often and the blinds will eat into your chip stack. While using a hand chart when starting to play is not a bad idea you should remember that any chart you use should not be what you always do. You may use it as a guide but always remember what hands you should play will depend on the table you are at. Folding hands like 66 and a tight table will cost you in the end since a tight table will fold to your raise and a loose and aggressive table just calling maybe better.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe as an UTG range with no antes it's okay but from mid or late positions or with antes that's way too tight.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i started playing poker i used the same. This table is for MTT's early stage, i think it is very useful.If the stack goes under 15BB, then it's really too tight. Search late stage starting hand table.

R

Rivaud

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
WAY too tight! The only time I used this table is on the bubble when you are middle of pack which I'd still like to steal some blinds so would open up at least two tiers...

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chart might be used as a quick reference (kinda?).
It does not reference table position which is a cornerstone of Holdem strategy. I dont recall when I have seen a static starting chart. I agree 100% that blanket folding 66 and AJo is not a good strategy at all. You will be leaving a lot of opportunity and EV on the table.
Have you looked in the strategy part of the forum - there is a starting hand table as well. It references mid and late position play.

SoCal

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This information is messed up - your opening range depends on your position - to think there is one range for all positions is a mistake.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SO the only hands you are open raising in any position is JJ+, AJs+, KQs. Then limp or fold everything else. Who says poker is dead? hahahaha

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it's too tight, but for the begginers it can be a quite good guide to start their mtt career

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That chart is pretty tight but not too far off. A lot of it really depends on what stage of the MTT you are in. Most online tourneys increase blinds quickly and force you to loosen up a bit to avoid blinding out.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is also playing a huge factor. As your position increases you playable hand range also goes way up...

K

Kassandra677

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you need to stick to the table, but in poker there is still variance, and it happens that weak hands on the turn or river get

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how your opponents are playing... I'd be playing a lot of these hands differently from the chart and raising with most hands I play.

If you are playing the same against super-tight and very loose players you will be making a lot of mistakes.

Good luck!

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in turbo/hyper thats around the range i play, in fact i tend to be a bit tighter, my range only opens up when ive built a stack.

imo everything is leading up to the moment when you run somebody over and bust them, with that in mind i dont like seeing pots trying to bink with ak - j7 etc, unless im well above average stack. because i want as much as possible behind me when i wake up with a hand, to ensure i can play it right.

all the donks in the world are guna be building stacks off anything from q10 - 45 all ins and shit, my focus is ganking those types of players asap before i get moved to a different table.

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way too tight.

Just because you have a good holding, doesn't mean you're going to receive a good payout.

You won't win enough hands throughout the tournament to cash.

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Way too tight.

Just because you have a good holding, doesn't mean you're going to receive a good payout.

You won't win enough hands throughout the tournament to cash.

expanding range and playing more hands doesnt amount to winning more hands

W

wildywild

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the stage of the tournament & your position on the table.
I think in the begin of the tourney it's a a good one. Once u doubled up and need to press the low stacks, it's way to tight.

Also, if u rc KQs in early position, it can end v bad..

I think you need to know the ''strategy'' of your table, and pick in on it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands