MTT poker advice

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone:hello:
I'm stuck in a loop and not sure what im doing wrong. I'm starting good let's say online mtt and just very close to money usually 100BB or around it, but then something happen:confused:s like I have a bad beat or I play loose bluff and that it I loss most of my blinds away. I notice even I'm in top 10 or 20 players I feel like all my chips going away so I try loosen up but then run into better card. I'm new to this and still learning so just asking for advice. It might help someone else also.
Thanks you

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It kinda normal to regulars as my suggestion is to learn from it as you have to take the decisions right is the correct word.

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you advance in a tournament be more selective about opening ranges. You will be up against better players who are good at choosing their opening ranges also. So your hand will be up against better hands if you try to loosen up your range. I guess you can find chart online if you really want to.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the later stages, in tournaments, it is better to be patient and rarely bluff. Try to wait for strong cards and use your position at the table.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I'm close to the bubble or when I'm placed among the top 10. I play only the cards max and do not hesitate to preflop folder all the spot that involves a risk for my stack. it's a strategy that has allowed me to reach my goals. sometimes it's better to let the other players compete with each other and let them do the job for you.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It sounds like you're not adapting to the situation. When you're at around 100BB playing against players with 10-20BB you should be more selective with your range as your opponents are looking for spots to get their stacks in.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the later stage, try to follow the rhythm of your table, you see that there is a lot to do with the game the top 3 at the final table. Medium strength hands turn into fairly strong hand. When only 100 players in a big tournament where several thousand people participate begins aggressive play and always seen the players who play wrong at this stage. They have a nice stack, but then it begins to melt. We can say that this stage of the tournament in which to monitor the dynamics of your table is more important than the other stages of the tournament. And if you see her, and to adapt it will be all right.

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone:hello:
I'm stuck in a loop and not sure what im doing wrong. I'm starting good let's say online mtt and just very close to money usually 100BB or around it, but then something happen:confused:s like I have a bad beat or I play loose bluff and that it I loss most of my blinds away. I notice even I'm in top 10 or 20 players I feel like all my chips going away so I try loosen up but then run into better card. I'm new to this and still learning so just asking for advice. It might help someone else also.
Thanks you

Once you have an above average stack look to win once every orbit. Keep it simple and don’t try to do too much. You can afford to pick your spots, so play tight and take advantage of position. Good Luck!

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the table, if there are very aggressive players, you have to play with good hands, if you have many chips you can play more hands.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is key, especially later in tournaments. When you get moved around, to other big stacks they may play crazy or tight, watch what happens unless you catch monsters.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the pressure is getting to you as the bubble approaches? Or maybe you're playing too loose as you said yourself because you feel that you're over the bubble.
But in reality, if you're gonna focus on MTT's, you're guaranteed to lose so many more tourneys than win them. Don't be so hard on yourself

T

THQ01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play for the long run and don't get beat up or too excited from one MTT to the next. Rank and record how well you play each MTT. Perform an autopsy on each hand you bust out i.e. investigate whether you are happy with your play.

Timed aggression is so key in MTTs and understanding the times to move chips around. This comes with experience.

eddy78

eddy78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
happened to me many time, what help me its not try to be the boss of the table, if you know what I mean, basic poker works just fine. of course, some times you gonna have to take action , especially when blinds go up, choose your spot better against the right player, adjust accordingly

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you're not adapting to the situation. When you're at around 100BB playing against players with 10-20BB you should be more selective with your range as your opponents are looking for spots to get their stacks in.

In many ways this is true. Having a big stack - 100+BB late in the game is amazing - if we are in the top 10 out of the remaining field after a bubble burst that's a beautiful thing. A big stack comes with a lot of advantages smaller stacks do not have, this gives us an edge - that also means if we lose our high stack we can lose our edge so we should be protecting it while we are using it to our advantage.

Connecting with the quoted reply - yes we typically want to put the max amount of pressure on the smaller stacks - but we dont want to do this in an unreasonable way. There is no need for us to get overly pushy and shove something like K6o into the SB and BB just because they are 20bb stacks...the only thing that will call us in this spot is usually a hand beating us anyhow. So losing 20BB wont kill us but it will not help our run either. We dont want to just spew chips and give them away. If you want to apply pressure with a weak hand like K6o or something similar then raise it up. If you get 3bet you can fold and if you get called you can navigate the flop and later streets accordingly.

Mix it up with the smaller stacks you easily have covered - dont spew chips raising everything in every rotation - dont overcommit with weak hands and just stay focused on making the final table. Folding wont kill you, it's a good thing to know how to do ;)

Now the opposite side to stacks you want to be going to war with...the other big stacks are always something to be approached with caution. Whether they are good players or horrible players if they rival ournstack size then we need to understand that even if they dont have us covered - they can do some serious damage to our game. I've made this mistake countless times and still catch myself doing it once in a while today. Anyhow - there is no reason to avoid the other big stacks altogether, if you have a strong hand you want to get value from whomever at the table is willing to donate - but there is no need to try anything risky vs someone who has about the same stack size as you.

For example - how many times have you seen two big stacks go at it (you involved or not) - and the flop comes out Ace hi - they go to war, get it all in, and one has AK and the other has some sort of 2 pair hand or flopped a set? I've been this guy, I've also been the other guy who out flopped the AK - and I love being that guy. When my opponent overplays and over values their hand like this and they are willing to stack off I will always be there to take it. Think about it...yes you flopped top pair top kicker...but if you are getting raised on a dry unconnected flop by a player you seem to think is fairly decent...does he really have AK too? - even with an ace on the flop reducing the chances significantly? - would he raise or go all in with worse than AK?

Think about it. If we have AK, we start the hand with 100 BBs and a 72 BB stack opens to 2.5BB - we 3bet our AK to 8.5BB and they call - the flop comes A hi - they check, we bet 10BBs and they go all in. Well this is a bad spot for us...if we think they are doing this with less than AK we call them off all the time. If we perceive them to be a good player, one very aware of what our 3 betting range could be - then what's the harm in folding? Sure we flopped very well and pretty strong, but why does that mean we cant fold? If we let this go we are still over 80 BBs deep and can easily survive as the field narrows and we can keep laddering up the pay jumps. We don't need to be folding strong hands like this all the time - in fact it's very player dependent - but I'm just saying there is no harm in making a solid disciplined laydown when your stack is at risk. It could possibly save your tournament :)

I know this was long, hope it helps. Good luck!