MTT NL Tournament - First Blind Level

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been thinking lately from playing quite a few MTT NL tournaments that raising during the 1st blind level. doesn't seem very effective unless it is a big raise. Players seem to call since they have the chipstack to do so since the blind levels are so low.

Anyone tend to not raise as much or raise more than they usually do the 1st blind level?

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just play tighter early on since there are no antes. A good standard raise early on is 2.5 to 3x. It's sometimes not as effective but you shouldn't go crazy early on with a big raise. Imo

P

peeetiee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking lately .....
Hy, I try to stick to BB as reference.
A good hand can be risen to 4 BB pre flop, according to poker school, no matter how high BB is. In the end of a tournament it´s often more than 1 Mio!!!!
So don´t forget the maths and don´t be shy of big numbers!
Bye

:deal:

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the low big blinds , I usually play very few hands and try to get involved in less pots as possible, this way we can analize more our opponents and make a plan to get their chips later in the tournament. Usually, on PS the tournaments give you about 60BB in the beggining, when I get to 30BB or 25BB, is time to apply what you have studied till now about the players.

During low blind play, even the speculative hands I like to fold, unless I'm on the button and cutoff and I know that other players are like to fold on a c-bet on the flop. It's all about knowing how to use the basics

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Be tighter early on in mtt's. If you have a hand to open with raise 3-4xbb and most rag hands should fold out. If this is micro or rebuy mtt's you will probably get 3/4 of the table coming along and calling your raise. not much you can do to avoid this short of jamming lol, which still would prolly get 3-4 callers as well.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It would be more profitable to just call in some situations rather than 3bet/squeeze because in early stages the players rarely will muck their marginal hands.I am not saying that you should limp every hand!! For example it would be better to call AK. Later on the MTT this hand is a ''standard'' 3bet for instance.

The open raise in the first 2 levels must be at least 3x the big blind. You can limp profitably in late positions or complete from the SB hands like suited connectors and of course Axs. Those hands are very speculative and are hard for inexperienced players to put you in that range.So there will be the potential to stack off an opponent!

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blind levels

I honestly don't think the blind levels makes a bit of difference. People who raise crazy will continue to do so and those that follow the standard guidelines will also continue to do so.