MTT - designed to eliminate players quicker ?

Awaterfall13

Awaterfall13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a general wondering but I’m feeling at the moment that a lot of MTT tournaments I’m playing seem to be favouring the bigger stacks no matter how high the odds are stacked against them, thus eliminating the small stacks a lot quicker than you would see in real life, is this me been a sore loser or have other ppl experienced this ?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can say that it's not true that big stacks are protected. I've had a big stack several times only to watch it get ripped apart during the middle and later rounds by small stacks.

You just need to pick you battles and adapt your play as a small stack player, and work your way up past the average chip count. Analyze your play. You may be committing too much to the pot pre-flop, or making bad decisions post-flop. Just analyze your weaknesses and try to plug up your leaks.

Good luck to you! :)

LumeBStackin

LumeBStackin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you find the tournament moving too fast, try to avoid the turbo style variation. Instead look for something with a slower blind speed to give yourself a chance to build a stack.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The bigger stacks take more risks against smaller stacks with hands they normally wouldn't play.
With a 60/40 on many flips the big stacks will win their share and probably appear to win more that their share, because they are flipping with trash a lot of the time and sucking out.

Awaterfall13

Awaterfall13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I think you all have valid points, I’ve hit a bad patch at the moment and I’m probably looking to blame everyone but myself. Like what is mentioned above I do find a lot of big the bigger stacks who maybe have double my stack or more do tend to flip trash hands and land them and I think this is what’s causing me to think that the big stacks are given some kind of advantage by the program. Is this play recommmended? And if so what kind of cards would people be playing that they wouldn’t if they were short stacked?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just paranoia. Players run good. We all do here and there in MTT's.
You're more likely to remember unlucky moments/ bad beats than the moments you got lucky/ran really well.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes I think you all have valid points, I’ve hit a bad patch at the moment and I’m probably looking to blame everyone but myself. Like what is mentioned above I do find a lot of big the bigger stacks who maybe have double my stack or more do tend to flip trash hands and land them and I think this is what’s causing me to think that the big stacks are given some kind of advantage by the program. Is this play recommmended? And if so what kind of cards would people be playing that they wouldn’t if they were short stacked?

my advice would be to stop wasting any time thinking about 'a program' or conspiracy. The game isn't deal out by some program. Cards will be dealt to you with same results as if they were dealt from a live deck.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It all depends on the situation. Blinds get high and a lot of the time it's profitable to jam any two cards into shorter stacks if they are playing tight. Just stealing from them relentlessly until they wake up with a hand... if they resist with any top 10% of hands (which is still a little loose sometimes when it comes to people's "tournament life") that means 9/10 shoves go through uncontested, when they call you have around 40% equity so it's hugely profitable in these scenarios.

If you mean they are calling off shortstack shoves, my guesses are A. You are playing freerolls B. You yourself do not understand proper calling ranges vs shortstacks because if playing "properly" they should be pushing superwide. The problem is not all shortys know how to play push/fold so you get the situation where they are shoving super tight but people are calling off thinking the shover should be pushing almost any 2 cards.

So you end up with a bigstack calling off shoves with some crap like Q7os, because Q high is a snapcall vs an any two cards shoving range. But the shover waited for hours to get AK... Q on the board and "omg, this is so rigged for the bigger stacks", when in actuality it's the shorty's fault for blinding themselves down to nothing waiting on a hand and not really giving the big stack an option but to call off their 4bb shoves, then the shorty loses a 60/40 which isn't all that unrealistic at all.

I hope this makes sense to you, it makes sense in my head anyways lol

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
MTT must end at a time, so eliminating all-in players is normal.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My take is it just appears that way. By virtue of their large stack they can play a more open game. This allows them to see more flops, float more draws, call off a little light, and that sort of thing. I don't feel the fix is in for big stacks. You have to be in a hand to make a hand and the big stacks are simply able to be in more hands.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello, for the first time I hear it, never noticed such a thing .. It's mathematically impossible, with chances in favor of a small stack, how can a big stack win?)

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At PS markedly different. AA KK very often lose over the worst or even garbage hands.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in Poker, big stack is more likely to survive.
example:
big stack play 100% a hand against small stack 10%. where both ahve 50% chance to win.
big stack has 10 shots at this, small stack only 1. For sure big stack will hit and win before running out of chips.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You think that because when big stack win the hand small stack is eliminated and when small stack win hand big stack just lost a part of stack so you noticed more the elimination.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
see well. with whatever cards to enter, BB or KO passing and more players at all in more players

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do not play turbo thats going faster than normal tournaments

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Yes its true when it comes to hyper/ turbo it happens.
I experienced this myself, where I won hands with garbage cards, and lost with good hands to garbage cards.

I had 99 and went all in to ward off donks but no, this player with slightly bigger stack than me calls all in with 10 6 os.
Flops a 10 and I am kicked out, just like that.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message -7

All tournaments who have a large stack that easier they put pressure on those who have less for example if the table of nine persons, one stack is four times more than the rest about the same, and if five people went all-in he can equalize with beemerboy and deviatko suited hoping to get lucky what you can do even with a pair of aces because you have so many players win rate is only 19% is good to have a big stack.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's something true in what you're saying. Tournament structures are designed that at some points, you don't have a lots of choice with the stack you have or you can play loose and have a lots of possibility. But live tournaments are also designed the same way.. nothing to do with the cards.

Keep on the work, you'll find your way in!

-TRP-

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The online MIT course has some remarks on how to deal with big stacks playing trash hands.
If I remember well the statistical optimum they mention is 25%; meaning: if the big stack plays 40%, you play 10%.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And You're absolutely right!now play MTT 0.55 here is fresh giveaways: blinds 400 / 800 on preflop 3 player go all-in 1-ASAS; 2-QsQc; 3-Jc10c the ratio to victory 1- 67%; 2-16%; 3- 17% ; stacks 1-27K; 2 - 34K; 3-95K eventually the jerk who responds with J10 comes trips! How is it possible to explain to any normal person will not be using these maps to answer two risking 1/3 of his stack - but the pokerstars the feeling that win some Imbeciles and the way he is now in the chip leaders of the tournament! That's it!

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I admit to thinking that flops are rigged to see action flops to get players to bust in reality this just isn't the case there are lots of combinations of hands. It's true sometimes the big stack seems to have unbelievable power calling your shove with a big pocket pair holding 95 and hits trip 9s but it's all part of the game you want calls being the 80% + favourite