MTT card dead

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello fellow cardschat people. First of all Happy New Year.
Last couple of mtt that i played i was card dead for almost whole tourney. In the earler stage i got AA KK AA and managed to get chips, the late reg is usally 240 min with 10 min blinds and i survived that, problem is in the later stage the blinds are eating me up. It's bounty so we see alot of all ins. I get decent cards i do raise or 3bet when i am in position but then i get multi way shoves but i am not gonna do shove with 10 9 or 10J or KJ when i know they do shove in with Axo. Lost few shove with AKs, AQs, QQ, vs K2o, A3o.
I was waiting for my moment and then i am forced to do shove with Ax cos the blinds are eating me alive. How to play vs so many shoves?

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easiest answer is to Google or Youtube "small stack poker tourn".

You might have the wrong style for that type of tourn. You're also talking about playing an early stage game for the whole tourn and with antes, its going to be very hard for you to do well unless you keep hitting the deck. I mean if you can catch the folks going crazy early with a hand or two then you should be ok to min cash depending on the payout but I suggest you look up the odds of those type of hands being dealt to you for a more realistic expectation of getting them then look at how many hands you play during your tournament and perhaps reevaluate your strategy.

The other thing is even if you're playing low quality players then you're going to get called with anything especially against big stacks that can afford the loss so you're going to lose in the worst possible way, no matter what, its just part of the game. That's why a lot of folks would tell beginners not to waste their time playing with the play chip folks since too many of them don't even know starting hands and a lot of them wouldn't even pick up on how nitty you play.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you need to understand, that nobody cash in every single MTT, they play. Most MTTs pay around 15% of the field, so the vast majority of the time we dont cash, and "a few MTTs" is really nothing. Its possible to go 30 in a row without cashing, and in fact this will happen sooner or later to everyone, who play long enough.

And a lot of the time this will happen, because we just dont get any good spots. Every time we have a playable hand, there is action in front of us, or we get 3-bet, when our hand is not strong enough to continue. And then we just keep on folding, if that is the best decision, we can make. Your question is so general, that its not possible to determine, if you do anything wrong. Much better to share some actual hand histories in the hand review forum and let us look at them :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To add to the solid advice already given, Bounty/PKO events play a lot more aggressive than standard MTTs. The money is in the bounties - not making it into the cash, so you have to be playing to bust other players. 1-2 bounties pay for the buyin, after that point - you are freerolling the tourney. Any additional moneys earned is profit.
This certainly does not mean jamming junk - however everyone giving advice on these events is saying aggression is the key.
These tourneys play fundamentally different than standard MTTs.

Although - my best finishes in PKO/Bounty events were to completely ignore the bounty aspect of the events, it is widely accepted that this is not the correct/optimal way to play these events.

There is a lot of information on how to play these events - compared to standard MTTs. I'd suggest looking up this information, and re-assess how to approach them.

GL in the future.

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how many tournaments do you plan to win or place in? what percentage? tournaments need more luck than regular ring games. even if you win or place 15% of the time your killing it, so...............chill

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mtt

Hi, I play mtt from $ 1.1 to $ 5.5 and what happens to you usually happens, especially in bounty tournaments, sometimes you have to push more than usual- and also overpay depending on the position you are in

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Bounty is added to pot odds and calling ranges can be very loose. Try to solve some spots in ICM-calculator.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sometimes you are just destined to lose a buy-in and get no monetary return for the time that you put into that particular game.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the very best MTT pros will only make a cash about 20% of the time... which means the other 80% of the time, they also bust out short of the money. So don't feel too terrible about a streak of bad cards or bad luck. It happens to the best players too!!

The correct thought process for MTT players is called the "long-term viewpoint". If you are making a cash 15% of the time, then you're probably doing just fine, and your only real "mistake" is looking at MTT's with a short-term viewpoint. As tournament players we really should never do this to ourselves, and we must learn how to accept MANY losses, sometimes for a long time in a row. It's just the nature of the game!! And once you realize this and can accept it, you will be well on your way to success. As others have said, then you can really begin to focus on individual hand mistakes you make be making, and more importantly, learning how to adjust to each stage of the tournament - early levels, middle levels, near the bubble, after the bubble bursts, and then nearing the final table and if we're lucky enough to make the final table - for each of these stages we should have a good idea of how we want to approach them in general, and then we modify those strategies based upon the way our opponents are playing at our specific table. This is what turns an average, "good" MTT player into a great one. But start with adopting the long-term viewpoint because just from your question it makes it clear this is the place you should start with. MTT poker can be a brutal game when we're in a long downswing and not making 15% cashes, we can begin to doubt ourselves or make strategy adjustments we should NOT be making... and in the worst case, we may get impatient and "take shots" in higher level tournaments trying to make a "big score" to make up for the downswing, which can decimate our bankroll and our depression begins to REALLY snowball downhill... these are all errors caused by an improper short-term viewpoint, and so that's my suggestion - just become confident in the fact that most days we ARE going to lose. It's just a basic fact of being an MTT player and it can be hard to accept it... but the best players understand this concept perfectly. Best wishes on your journey to success!

Last edited:
A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to carefully select the tournaments. There are many tournaments with shorter late registrations. You also need to understand that similar situations can happen to anyone. Stick to your game plan, analyze your play and the play of your opponents.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to avoid tournaments that have that long of a late registration. There is a point of being ridiculous and they past it by 2 hours. As for the bounty, they are more aggressive and its not surprising you see a lot more all ins. If your not happy with these events I would stay away from PKO and ones where the bounty is 1/2 the buy in.