Maniac style in mtts

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing a maniac style alot of the time. Early in mtt's I play loose to build up a big stack or just bust. I play a lot of unlimited re-entries so i can just re-enter 2-3 times if necessary.

My goal in poker is to play online starting in the micros and 3-4 times a year play the big live tournaments in my city. I will play like a maniac in the $2000 live main events in the beginning and perhaps tighten up a bit for awhile and then hit the raise button and start collecting pots again.

I've played quite a bit of live in smaller buy-in mtts with some success. I played tight in the beginning and then just played the shoving game in the end with some success in these. I may play a few of these every now and then again. I'm quite good at counting stacks, pot size, and picking up on a few tells giving me information to make a decision.

Is there any information online on how to play maniac style successfully? I know gus hansen has a book and moorman1 had a book too. they both played maniac style for a while. I don't like the calling preflop style gus plays though. I like to bet. Moorman used to bet all the time and then just fold to a 3bet. I notice a girl called Vanessa Selbst used to 4 bet with hands like JTs and had success with it. People say she wouldn't succeed against the GTO bots nowadays.

Then theres guys like bryn kenny who would check/raise on the river with not much. I've also seen sam trickett play like this as well.

What they say is they are trying to put pressure on a opponent when the right play for the gto bot is to call but since playing for big bucks they just fold. There's players in the smaller buy-in live mtts that will fold to pressure and others that won't. It's not a move against every opponent and different amounts of money means more or less to different people.

Online I don't think that play is going to be profitable when your opponent has something and knows your loose but will just call anyways. Live they sometimes fold even in a $100 mtt when the gto play is probably to call.

Last edited:
Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that most of the books and tutorials written before about 2015 are simply out of date. Poker has changed in terms of style of play and accuracy of calculations. What worked 10 years ago - in the golden days of online poker - is now on its way down.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think it's a good strategy to be a manioco in mtts, due to the variance and regular players!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like playing a maniac style alot of the time. Early in mtt's I play loose to build up a big stack or just bust. I play a lot of unlimited re-entries so i can just re-enter 2-3 times if necessary.

My goal in poker is to play online starting in the micros and 3-4 times a year play the big live tournaments in my city. I will play like a maniac in the $2000 live main events in the beginning and perhaps tighten up a bit for awhile and then hit the raise button and start collecting pots again.

I've played quite a bit of live in smaller buy-in mtts with some success. I played tight in the beginning and then just played the shoving game in the end with some success in these. I may play a few of these every now and then again. I'm quite good at counting stacks, pot size, and picking up on a few tells giving me information to make a decision.

Is there any information online on how to play maniac style successfully? I know gus hansen has a book and moorman1 had a book too. they both played maniac style for a while. I don't like the calling preflop style gus plays though. I like to bet. Moorman used to bet all the time and then just fold to a 3bet. I notice a girl called Vanessa Selbst used to 4 bet with hands like JTs and had success with it. People say she wouldn't succeed against the GTO bots nowadays.

Then theres guys like bryn kenny who would check/raise on the river with not much. I've also seen sam trickett play like this as well.

What they say is they are trying to put pressure on a opponent when the right play for the gto bot is to call but since playing for big bucks they just fold. There's players in the smaller buy-in live mtts that will fold to pressure and others that won't. It's not a move against every opponent and different amounts of money means more or less to different people.

Online I don't think that play is going to be profitable when your opponent has something and knows your loose but will just call anyways. Live they sometimes fold even in a $100 mtt when the gto play is probably to call.

If you are targetting the right players with this approach you can certainly get away with it. The importance is knowing when your opponents will not have a strong enough hand to call you.

Be careful using this strategy against solid regulars though as if they see you are playing like a maniac they will be licking their chops waiting for a chance to catch you.

It's valuable to have this gear in your arsenal for sure. And when things like ICM pressure are in play it can be very effective. But you do have to be willing to dial it back when the time calls for it, otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

You may like Alex Fitzgerald's content if this is the style you want to implement. Here's a couple of his videos to show what I'm talking about :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMvngwLhJ0&list=PLBrNnyWekagPjhAXn0UCemd2xihgtTUYl&index=2&t=106s[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzkYvxiDJhE&list=PLBrNnyWekagPjhAXn0UCemd2xihgtTUYl&index=3&t=87s[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjRDp1XCHE8&list=PLBrNnyWekagPjhAXn0UCemd2xihgtTUYl&index=4&t=0s&ab_channel=GripsedPokerTraining-EvanJarvis[/ame]

Hope that helps!

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play in maniac style and win tournaments this is good. There are very few well-known players who perform well when playing loose.

W

wilberth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The maniac style is risky, as it can be exploited by another player who has a good reading of the game and who takes the game seriously. A manic player when raising and re-raising makes a tight player uncomfortable since he manages to win most of the time in the prefolp. I do not use that style of play because I think it should only be used very rarely and it is not to my liking. I follow a style a bit loose and aggressive.