Get lucky

Big_Banana

Big_Banana

Rock Star
Joined
Sep 15, 2020
Total posts
165
Do you think that free tournaments you get a lot more people taking unbeleavable chances trying to get lucky and if so Why do we play them are the odds stacked against the good players.
 
E

eetenor

Legend
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Total posts
1,681
Awards
1
Do you think that free tournaments you get a lot more people taking unbeleavable chances trying to get lucky and if so Why do we play them are the odds stacked against the good players.


Thank U 4 posting

In free tournaments you will face more variance as players will suck out more often. That is fine if you know how to play strong ranges vs wide ranges preflop. Also knowing how to read boards post flop is very important.

AA vs 3 all-ins preflop wins less than 50% of the time but when it does win it often 3-4X's your stack. At the right times in tournaments that can easily propel you to final tables.

So the odds are seldom against good players unless they get the odds wrong.
Example we 3bet AsAc get called in 2 places flop comes 9h6h2h. If one of our V has 8h7c they are 56% to win. Not to mention any flush gives us only 2.5% equity.

Over estimating are odds vs any 2 possible cards x 2 or more players is where tight players often make mistakes in free games. In free games taking free cards and protecting our stack is important because you will have a skill edge and if you have a skill edge you want to apply it over multiple hands. Taking a 50/50 flip means you have erased any skill advantage.
There are times we do take flips in tournaments because we have to, not because we force ourselves into that spot.

Hope this helps.
:):)
 
3

300HPGOD

Legend
Joined
Feb 13, 2018
Total posts
1,180
Awards
10
What you are saying is very true but we still play them because they are free and we should still feel like we are at advantage even more so then a normal tournament. If we know others are taking big chances we have to accept that we lose at times when we have 70% equity in a hand but at the same time, are we going to turn down that 70% chance at doubling up because we will lose 30% of the time? We shouldn't be, especially in free tournaments. We should be encouraging the lunatics to play the way they do and try to take advantage of it. This is not easy to swallow because I have been there too when I want to punch a hole in the wall because some dolt cold called my pre flop 3 bet with 93 off and then flops it but we need this to profit in the long run. Safe to assume all of our good tournament finishes have come because someone somewhere along the line, made a call that they shouldn't have and the chips were pushed in our direction.
 
C

Clean

Rock Star
Joined
Jun 24, 2019
Total posts
100
Do you think that free tournaments you get a lot more people taking unbeleavable chances trying to get lucky and if so Why do we play them are the odds stacked against the good players.
Yes, the odds are stacked against good players, most people don’t take them seriously
 
Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Joined
Sep 24, 2019
Total posts
361
When we go all in we often hope that we will be lucky. Poker is a difficult game. Don't just rely on luck even with good hands.
 
LFC_yllnwa

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Joined
Jan 31, 2017
Total posts
1,433
Awards
8
NZ
When there are a lot of stupid players on your way, of course it increases your chances of success). But I think in such tournaments it is not important your level of play, unfortunately.. Players do not risk anything, play madly and expect to get a prize. Why are we involved? it's obvious, everyone wants to get a prize for free, it's great, but it's a huge lottery and sometimes if you try to win it a lot of times, you don't get anything, you get bad thoughts about yourself... But I think it's worth playing such tournaments for crazy fun and not waiting for anything, and winning will be a pleasant surprise for you :)
 
Top