The luck factor will break you in most tournaments.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We talk about luck in the short term and skill in the long term, but the truth is that even you will be broken in most tournaments even if you do everything right.

And a minority of the time you will get a good prize.

So the luck factor is more important than we can imagine in poker, however skilled a player may be, he will reach a final table a few times, unless in addition to skill he is very lucky so that his pairs of Aces are not broken until the final table.

So what's your opinion on the luck factor?

Leave it in the comments and let's get to the topic.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker is said to be one of the trickiest games, it's like playing Russian roulette
but one option is to survive in the wolf's den
welcome to the world of poker

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you are not happy with poker then don't play it because no one is forcing you to, there are many other good games like chess or dominoes etc.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why not choose to learn more about the game... learn how to get better? Instead of focusing on thinking you're so unlucky (because trust me, you're not).

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I mean thats just how poker works. All in all you will win about 20 percent of the time, and by that I dont mean winning the first place prize. Ofcourse that luck is a big factor.

J

JcWilko

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I always find I can stack up early, then on actual hands, I get called by nothing and runner runner ends my tournament, still learning though, love the game.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
So what's your opinion on the luck factor?

This quote from Jesse May comes to mind. :giggle:
“Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they're wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck.”

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think luck can ruin a great tournament you're playing, but the good thing is that there are always rematches at the tables.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
What is 0.8 x 0.75 x 0.55?

A poker player out of a tournament 2/3rds of the time after 3 all ins as favourite.

It's just cumulative probability and the very nature of what tournaments often are. Need a bit of luck to survive that.

I'd say try to never be all in but that's not very realistic! We can pick our spots though. We can work at getting good at accumulating chips between all-ins so we're all in less often too.

Last edited:
amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember reading, a few years ago, the reason the feds don't want to legalize online poker is due to the fact they think it is more a game of luck then skill, like slots. If they could be convinced otherwise they might ok it.

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
T
What is 0.8 x 0.75 x 0.55?

A poker player out of a tournament 2/3rds of the time after 3 all ins as favourite.

It's just cumulative probability and the very nature of what tournaments often are. Need a bit of luck to survive that.

I'd say try to never be all in but that's not very realistic! We can pick our spots though. We can work at getting good at accumulating chips between all-ins so we're all in less often too.
This is the key. Avoid knock out all ins and take advantage when you’ve accumulated chips.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think luck is very important in poker, even if you're given AA in every hand, there's no guarantee you'll win the tournament.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Luck is of course a very important factor. But I am more than sure that the skill of the player is more important in the long run. Luck is a factor that does not depend on you. Your mastery depends only on you. Therefore, everything is quite simple, you have to constantly improve your game, and just hope that sometimes, at least from time to time, you will be lucky enough, and this will allow you to achieve a consistently good result.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
if you want and hope to win a tournament , of course that in the end you will need LUCK to win it , no matter how good poker you play and skills :)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The variance in big MTTs is indeed so huge that some players will be luckier than others in a normal human lifespan.

Phil Hellmuth and wsop bracelets come to mind.

That's why I only play tournaments for fun.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to just focus on making the right play, there is real no need to worry about luck.

If your Aces lose to Kings there is nothing you can do about it - so no need to waste any time on it, just load up the next game.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Of course you're right that luck plays a large part in all tournaments, what I disagree with is your definition of short and long term. I would recommend you doing some study on variance in tournaments, especially large field tournaments.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that luck also has its place, but what do you mean by luck, for example, winning a coin, or winning 40 to 60, or winning against kings with jacks? there are decisive hands in which you win the position from above or from below - this is already luck and an opportunity to win the tournament

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
In the end the biggest part is luck, if your good hand hold up it will be ok, but garbage hands win moat of the time

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Luck unfortunately is a factor in poker. You can reduce the luck factor with the knowledge and the experience. To achieve these the best way is to play and be careful and focused, so that to gather as many informations as you can!