Jessica1507

Jessica1507

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello everyone, everything good?
I have played some low entry tournaments on average between $ 1.10 and $ 3.30 and I have also played some between $ 11.00 and $ 22.00 and I have noticed that on many occasions the players pay and play a lot more marginal hands in the larger entry tournaments. than in the lower ones. I noticed that the fold is applying more to micro limits than medium limits and this is also applying to cash game tables. Is this just happening to me as a woman or is it normal with everyone?

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played some low entry tournaments on average between $ 1.10 and $ 3.30 and I have also played some between $ 11.00 and $ 22.00 and I have noticed that on many occasions the players pay and play a lot more marginal hands in the larger entry tournaments. than in the lower ones. I noticed that the fold is applying more to micro limits than medium limits and this is also applying to cash game tables. Is this just happening to me as a woman or is it normal with everyone?

Hey Jessica,

First off I don't think being a women has anything to do with your experience in these tourneys. Great female poker players all over the world.

In my opinion you are experiencing a more seasoned player in the bigger buy in tournament. A skilled poker player will play a very wide range of hands depending on position, stack sizes, and tendencies they have observed from others at the tables. Beginning poker players are most likely playing tighter ranges because they are trying not to make a mistake and so they are playing conservatively. Play tight in the tourneys and adjust your strategy accordingly once you have some hands with your table. Always pay attention to every hand whether you are in or not. Don't be afraid to 3bet a loose aggressive player when you are at the top of your range such as AA KK QQ AKs AQs. Another reason they are playing different ranges is so you won't know whether they have AK or low suited connecters and they can extract maximum value from their opponent if they get out of line in the wrong hand. Good luck jessica

Good luck to all:cool:

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low value tournaments and medium value tournaments

Yes more seasoned will play hands like76 suited. Some call them AA busters. They get the right kind of flop, they will stack any huge pocket pair. Suited connectors go up in value when
deep stacked, correct pot odds and willingness to take more flops. Most conservative players they will put at top 8-10 percent range. They will know if on the flop and action if they continue afterwards.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 posting

As you go up in stakes post flop play is more important than preflop card selection. A strong player plays their hand -your range of hands -board texture -ICM pressure -your flop-turn and river frequencies for betting -checking and folding.

They also use HUDs and take notes on your play. They are strong with poker odds so they will call correctly if you give them proper odds to do so. They also do not fear losing a hand and plan to rebuy multiple times if they get knocked out so playing wide ranges is standard for them.

In order to compete with them the above are the skills you will need to have

Hope this helps

:)

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

in general, there is not much difference in the strategy of the game in these tournaments. Everyone will play approximately the same. the difference can start from $ 33-$ 55 + yes there. the style of the game is changing dramatically. much more regulars at the table and players making bad decisions much less

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

More skilled players are likely to play loose aggressive (LAG) and higher stakes, while beginners players play tight aggressive (TAG) in low stake games. Adjust accordingly. Being a women, I don’t think, has anything to do with it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More skilled players are likely to play loose aggressive (LAG) and higher stakes, while beginners players play tight aggressive (TAG) in low stake games. Adjust accordingly. Being a women, I don’t think, has anything to do with it.

This is exactly it. Many of the best MTT regulars use a LAG style, while the less experienced regulars lean more towards a TAG style, because this is a lot easier to do well. On the other side you should find more fish in microstakes MTTs, so its a bit surpricing, if the average VPIP is higher in low- or midstakes than in the micros.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't confirm your thoughts.. I play a lot of microlimits and sometimes get into mid-limit tournaments. My notes say otherwise. I think the average limit of 7.5 to 15 is very few players who play connectors, or bad hands. Of course, at the start of the tournament, there are players who have fun (to double the pot for the middle and late stage of the tournament), but after 20-30 minutes of play, very good players. Maybe you give your game a chance to play against you with a more extended range of hands?

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, how many tournaments you have played? there are some things that can make you see some different spots, but in the majority you will see more weak players open raising or calling with weak hands in low price tournament, It's different to the players that choose hands that can be good to play the post flop.

If you study the range for each position in the different stages of a tournament you will see a lot of cards that can make more sense in tournament more expansive, because the players from cheap tournament are in general more weak, you don't need to use a some advanced moves against these players, because they will not make the correct decisions.

Against better players we can use more weapons on our game style, so you will see more traps in these tournament, don't try to compare these players, study more and try to choose better your hand.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
sin yes because the higher value tournaments the prize is bigger, and the K.o too!

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Micro players tend to play according to charts (maybe not actually, but effectively). That means most of their opening hands will be Ax, Broadways, and pairs.

As the stakes go up, more players are following a GTO strategy. This includes more suited connectors and lower cards, giving them the same weight as higher cards to disguise their hand. When a wide opener flops a :5d4: :6d4: :8s4: board, you don't know if they hold AKo or 79d. They can bet either, as both are in their range.

My advice is to play your game in limits you are comfortable with.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have mentioned, it has nothing to do with you being female. The players in bigger buy-in tournaments will play even wider than what has already been described in this thread. One thing that might help you is to notice when/where you see these marginal hands in play. Hint: they are usually in position or out of the blinds. Notice the difference in betting patterns between these positions and take note on the strategy that each employs.

Conversely, very rarely will you see someone in early position with a hand like AJ, KQ, or 33 whereas you see these hands limp in all the time at microstakes.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the definition of marginal...

I often see players complain after losing to suited connectors or one gappers.

But it was them who gave the opponent the pot odds he needed to call.

I think in higher buy-ins you will have more good players that do not judge a
hand by the hole cards they have, but take many things into consideration.

If your opponents give you 12 to 1 pot odds you can literally play any 2 cards.
No... You SHOULD play any 2. Because even though you are the underdog you
will make a profit in the long run.

Many beginners on the micros will not have this strategy in their arsenal yet, so they
will fold what is a profitable call.

And some players will play more marginal hands when they realize their table is very tight,
because they can take down all the pots with 3 7 9 offfsuit kind of flops by simply pushing the
bet button twice and get everyone else to fold their Ax... In case they don't you are still fine with
crap like 8 6...

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I have seen, it makes no difference what tournament, everywhere there are those who play for fun.