Lost !! But did the right decision???

G

GeneralKosta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Im new to poker. I play a tournament. 30 players left. 8 pl. Table. Most of the players at my table have stacks around 50k except me and another player. Both 300k.

I have AA. BB is 8k and i double to 16k. The other guy goes all in with 300k, I think wtf. I have AA what good cards could have this guy to risk this huge stack. Till that moment my strategy was to play very passive to get as far as possible and im in a very comfortable position. I could fold every card and reach the final table.

I go ALL IN. I think with these cards i have to call. He has 10 10. He gets the set at the flop. I lose everything. I cant sleep now but i think i had to call and i had bad luck. What would be the right decision in your opinion? Thanks

Last edited:
duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Certainly it was a good call with Aces.

Pocket Aces wins around 80% of the time, so that means 20% of the time your going to lose.
Pre-flop you had very good chances to win agaisn't pocket 10s.

Its certainly a risk going all-in versus a large stack that can kick you out of the tournament, but still, was a good call.

AlphaCentauro

AlphaCentauro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on a buy in I try to avoid calling all in preflop. It’s ok to mess around in freerolls and 💩 but when you buy into the tournament it’s really pointless to risk it until you guarantee your money back. AA does not guarantee you the win, it gives you a lot of equity preflop but it doesn’t guarantee you will win the hand.

G

GeneralKosta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Depending on a buy in I try to avoid calling all in preflop. It’s ok to mess around in freerolls and 💩 but when you buy into the tournament it’s really pointless to risk it until you guarantee your money back. AA does not guarantee you the win, it gives you a lot of equity preflop but it doesn’t guarantee you will win the hand.
It was a low stake tournament and i got my money back 4x and i thought dont take a risk now, try to get as far as possible. I wasnt ready for that situation and i went all in. I regret it but at the same time i guess i would be dissapponted if i didnt call. Anyways its history now.👍

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Oh dear lol, First time I folded AA in a live tournament pre I would have lost to a set of TT’s had I’d called. I won’t lie to you, Live id happily fold depending on how much I was playing for. When I did it I was playing a crazy £10 rebuy that I’d not reloaded into once. Had I lost the hand like I would have I’d have been left with about 17k from 400k+, I tanked for ages but decided to fold and glad I did. I didn’t sit there for hours grinding to throw it away in a 4 way flip, even though it was only the guy Tom my right that was a danger.. Online is another matter though but that’s still dependant mind. For me personally it would depend on the stakes I’m playing, low buy in I’d get it in unless the money in the comp was substantial ie. 100 buy ins plus. I’d definitely fold in a larger comp I’d paid money for though.... Though I don’t direct buy lol.... So that leaves me with the satelliting in do you fold when qualifying is a given... that would be a yes again alas. I don’t care for AA much unless im heads up and/or losing won’t dent of piss me off. Playing insignificant stakes in all day long

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do not worry. 80% of the time you will win with AA vs. TT. But of those 80%, most probably won't involve you getting a massive stack and possibly winning a tournament. Sorry (for your loss).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the worst advice ever, so please dont listen to it. The goal in an MTT is not to min-cash. The goal is to maximize our EV and ideally win the tournament. So of course we are never folding the nuts, and your hand is certainly not anything to lose sleep over. Its just a bad beat story, and there is actually a special section in the forum for those.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it was the right game on your part you just got unlucky!!!

M

mcbeaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Anything other than a call would be a strategic mistake. As others have written, you are way ahead except against AA. It's not just about the pot, but the great possibility of being able to put pressure on the others as the clear chip leader, who are fighting for every single place, while first place seems to be out of reach for them for the time being. You then have a chance to decimate the field bit by bit and make it to the heads up. That's a multiple of the prize money than for 8th place. If you have the best chance of at least second or third place in 80 percent of the time, but finish eighth in the remaining 20 percent, there's nothing to think about: You have to call!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You were unlucky, because your aces were defeated. But I think with a leading stack it was a mistake to play passively. Maybe you payed that!

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Im new to poker. I play a tournament. 30 players left. 8 pl. Table. Most of the players at my table have stacks around 50k except me and another player. Both 300k.

I have AA. BB is 8k and i double to 16k. The other guy goes all in with 300k, I think wtf. I have AA what good cards could have this guy to risk this huge stack. Till that moment my strategy was to play very passive to get as far as possible and im in a very comfortable position. I could fold every card and reach the final table.

I go ALL IN. I think with these cards i have to call. He has 10 10. He gets the set at the flop. I lose everything. I cant sleep now but i think i had to call and i had bad luck. What would be the right decision in your opinion? Thanks
when you go all in before the flop you should know that you are taking the risk of losing everything. So back to school, you only had a pair.... Good luck!

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Its good call for sure. I think you didnt play this hand with chance......you do the right thing you loose, that part of the poker.....i think the other guy play not safe with all in pocket 10 but its what i think....

Next time will be better for you my friend but with more chance

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a low stake tournament and i got my money back 4x and i thought dont take a risk now, try to get as far as possible. I wasnt ready for that situation and i went all in. I regret it but at the same time i guess i would be dissapponted if i didnt call. Anyways its history now.👍
If you already got your money back than it was a good call, even if this time you had bad luck.

bardhylmemaj

bardhylmemaj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AL
Chips
It was a logical decision. Then whether you played poker with real cards, or with App game cards. What was supposed to come out came out.
But I don't see any gambling site in your post, POKERSTAS, GGPOKER, or anything else.
If you won before that money tournament, I'm 80% sure that it was no accident that you lost.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Cannot fold Aces. You would have been in a better position to win the Tourney if your Aces hold.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, a correct decision does not always mean victory, if bіti saw his hand went all-in? just unlucky, but unfortunately you need to play a lot of tournaments so that it is fair at a distance