losing with a flush on the flop Nuts in hand to a full house

bigreD451

bigreD451

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just left a tournament where I was dealt a flush and at a showdown was beat by a full house. I didn't see the full house coming. I was so fixated on my hand I wasn't paying attention to the board. I didn't slow play it. How does one train oneself not to to lose focus when he has a big hand. I know I have some basics of the fundamentals. I came in 16 out 550 players to win $145 a couple a weeks ago now the leaks seem to be happening every time I play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is obviously important to think not only about our own hand but also, what the opponent could have. But even so running the nut flush into a boat is just a cooler, and its completely fine and standard to go broke, unless you started with very deep stacks. Which most likely you did not, given you were deep in the tournament. For better and more detailed feedback please post the actual hand history in the tournament hand analysis sub forum.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you just gotta "pay 'em off." There is no shame in losing a flush to a boat. Could you have seen it coming? Hard to say. You would need to know the player - how they check/bet/raise.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you say, your leaks appeared after a well-finished tournament, this means that you gained extra confidence in yourself and began to play more freely. Which in turn influenced the quality of the game.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just left a tournament where I was dealt a flush and at a showdown was beat by a full house. I didn't see the full house coming. I was so fixated on my hand I wasn't paying attention to the board. I didn't slow play it. How does one train oneself not to to lose focus when he has a big hand. I know I have some basics of the fundamentals. I came in 16 out 550 players to win $145 a couple a weeks ago now the leaks seem to be happening every time I play.
Speak during the session why you are making this or that decision It is enough to imagine yourself in the role of a coach who analyzes the game session. Such a dialogue helps to concentrate on problem spots and find the right solution. You probably noticed for yourself that during the analysis of the hands after all the tables have already been closed, many mistakes in the game seem obvious and it is not clear why they were made at all.This is due to insufficient care. In a calm environment, when time banks are not running out, it is easier to reason. Your task as a poker player is to learn how to build a plan for the distribution quickly and correctly, based on the game strategy and information on a specific opponent. The presented approach will reveal all your weaknesses. Moments that are difficult for you to logically explain should be noted and analyzed in the future. At first, talking to yourself may seem unusual, but over time it will become a habit. As a result, all decisions will scroll in the head in the background and you will not even notice it.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, you just played by hand and thought that you were far ahead but did not think what the player is playing with you and calling all the streets, which means you are playing strong with something and what is stronger than your hand is right full house because of that, after that you have to play more carefully and think about the strength of your opponent's hand

RoviP

RoviP

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I played 8 and 2 off, and I lost by stealing from Garotomaroto lol, I lost badly, you lost beautifully with great style. Next time I let the full house be in your hands...

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Mistakes like this happen, even at the higher levels, one of the more common mistakes made by beginners & even more experienced amateurs is to overvalue the results of success, ie. "I just took down a $300 online tourney, damn I've figured it out, time to go teach the big boys/girls how it's done." Pay attention to the process, not individual results.

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands