Live tourney tips

B

biops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im planning to play my second live tourney (my first was a promotional freeroll From pokerstars at BSOP-sao Paulo with 20k of prize pool). I ended up around 180th i guess, From 1k entrants. I was trying to play as the solid as i could but ended up eaten by blinds, i just went that far cause i got lots of value on pocket queens that both opps thought i was bluffing.
And i saw some tips like "just look to your cards when its your time to act to dont give tells" but now i think its better to look as soon as delt and then look at your opps reactions.
Btw, im planning to play on freeroll + $20 Rebuys (thinking to make at Max 3 Rebuys)or $20 +R, basically all poker clubs next to me just have Rebuys tourneys.
Also, i will play some home games with friends before playing live, i have to control my reactions better hahaha

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was trying to play as the solid as i could but ended up eaten by blinds, i just went that far cause i got lots of value on pocket queens that both opps thought i was bluffing.

I don't play live a lot, so no help on this aspect (maybe apart from that playing some smaller tourneys and live games before, to get used to it, is very good idea).

When it comes to strategy, maybe you were playing too tight? Have you studied some MTT preflop charts? You have to remember, that when ante goes in, you need to open more, because price is so good typically.

Also, there are of course a lot of materials on the web, but I remember that there were especially two series that made me asking myself a lot of questions in terms of tournaments. Those are 2 reviews of tournaments by Tonkaaaa, twitch streamer (links below).

There is also a good book from Gus Hansen "Every Hand Revealed", which is his perspective on Aussie Millions tournament. You have to remember that this is 2008 and that he already had some fame back than, which made his opponents act differently towards him though. And also he plays very very loose ;).

The other thing is - do you take any notes during your play? If not, try to write down the action of every hand that you had doubts about and then ask on the forums, groups etc. People tend to not do it live, because this is not as easy as online, but that way you can learn on your mistakes (and find out spots you can improve on).

Just remember, don't try to learn totally new approaches just before the tournament as you will end up with chaos in your head. Few days before the tournament, try to chill out, get a good sleep etc. :)

Review videos I wrote about:

B

biops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play live a lot, so no help on this aspect (maybe apart from that playing some smaller tourneys and live games before, to get used to it, is very good idea).

When it comes to strategy, maybe you were playing too tight? Have you studied some MTT preflop charts? You have to remember, that when ante goes in, you need to open more, because price is so good typically.

Also, there are of course a lot of materials on the web, but I remember that there were especially two series that made me asking myself a lot of questions in terms of tournaments. Those are 2 reviews of tournaments by Tonkaaaa, twitch streamer (links below).

There is also a good book from Gus Hansen "Every Hand Revealed", which is his perspective on Aussie Millions tournament. You have to remember that this is 2008 and that he already had some fame back than, which made his opponents act differently towards him though. And also he plays very very loose ;).

The other thing is - do you take any notes during your play? If not, try to write down the action of every hand that you had doubts about and then ask on the forums, groups etc. People tend to not do it live, because this is not as easy as online, but that way you can learn on your mistakes (and find out spots you can improve on).

Just remember, don't try to learn totally new approaches just before the tournament as you will end up with chaos in your head. Few days before the tournament, try to chill out, get a good sleep etc. :)

Review videos I wrote about:
$215 Sunday Warm-Up with $118,000 to 1st - Throwback Tournament Review [Episode 1: Part 1] - YouTube
[Part 1] $1050 Super Tuesday - Throwback Tournament Review - YouTube
Thank you, i'll watch later both vids.

I planned the Basic, play for value on first stages and look for spots as it was a invitational tourney, lots of people May never played poker before. On the first dealers change, the dealer Said that on his first table, he flushed 2 and a 3rd person had triplets and none beted until showdown. Hauahauau automatically i Said "why i havent settle down at this table?" Anyway, i havent any hand From my usual range or even marginal hands like suited conectors... in 3 hours of tourney, i had QQ early on, one AQo, one JQs. The mostly hands we're trash or almost trash, Figure-lowcard offsuited... 29s, etc... i remember one KTs i entered mini raising and guy 2 spots to the right of me shoving (shortstacked- about ten BBs) and i folded, i had around 20 and didnt see that could worth the risk... was the first shove from this guy and with 10bbs i think you can wait some value to shove.

I usually watch hand reviews and discuss with friends, mostly. In portuguese there are some pros with really good content on YouTube, like André akkari and Caio pessagno, i really like the videos From pessagno, looks like he was born to teach... anyway From 2012 i guess, akkari decided to focus on his live carreer, and the videos became rarer.

P

pokerchick_xoxo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson's "changing gears" concept is important. Especially at the early and late stages of a tournament. People play tight early and later when its close to the money. Get aggressive and take down some pots at these stages.

V

veruska A1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice to you are:
1 - Be patient when starting the tournament: do not rush to play many hands and use the first levels to expect Premiums.

2 - Look at the table: If you want to get information about the villains, you must be attentive at all times to the game style of each, so you can know how to play hands against them. As you must understand, it is not the same to play against an aggressive villain than against a rock.
3 - Learn to use cards and cards: It may seem obvious, but you have to see the cards hiding them with the hands of other people. It is also important to know that the bets with the chips must always be made with a single move, or they can reclaim the play and take it as a "Call" instead of a "Raise".
4 - Control the pots: Playing with chips and cards is much more beautiful than using a computer mouse, but you have to look at the pots that are placed to make the bets, because the chips will be in the center of the mat and you will have to count them To calculate the sizes.
5 - Your gestures and actions can betray you: One of the most important points of the Live tournaments are the so-called "Tells", which can show the strength of your hand, so try to control your emotions whether you have a good hand or if you try to bluff .

B

biops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice to you are:
1 - Be patient when starting the tournament: do not rush to play many hands and use the first levels to expect Premiums.

2 - Look at the table: If you want to get information about the villains, you must be attentive at all times to the game style of each, so you can know how to play hands against them. As you must understand, it is not the same to play against an aggressive villain than against a rock.
3 - Learn to use cards and cards: It may seem obvious, but you have to see the cards hiding them with the hands of other people. It is also important to know that the bets with the chips must always be made with a single move, or they can reclaim the play and take it as a "Call" instead of a "Raise".
4 - Control the pots: Playing with chips and cards is much more beautiful than using a computer mouse, but you have to look at the pots that are placed to make the bets, because the chips will be in the center of the mat and you will have to count them To calculate the sizes.
5 - Your gestures and actions can betray you: One of the most important points of the Live tournaments are the so-called "Tells", which can show the strength of your hand, so try to control your emotions whether you have a good hand or if you try to bluff .

1n2: this is the plan, but im always paying atention to my opp, if i had opportunity i will try to exploit them.

3.thats good to know

4. Even playing online i made pot control in my head, so it wont be difficult live
5. I think that's the hardest thing to me haha i'll definitely try to improve.

Thanks for your help

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play calm and wait for good opportunities. Do not rush and do not try to bluff more than one player. Be careful when to bluff. I wish you good luck :)

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tips