Limping Small Pairs in EP

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp does not give you information about the strength of the hand of another. The pot will be small, and when you flop
the three , you will not win much.

jirasuonna

jirasuonna

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will have zero fold equity.
You will be a target of aggressive players.
You're out of position. In position you might be able to check behind and hit your set on the turn. Out of position checking, you might end up a target.
If you are shallow stacked, if anyone raises "the limper" you won't have implied odds to call.
If you are deep-stacked, you will have lead or trap to build a pot which might scare out opponents.
Again out of position is awkward if you hit your set, but a possible flush or straight draw is on the board.

I am kind of a beginner, so take that with a grain of salt.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here it is boys. You raise in early position with a small PP, when you get three bet what are you going to do? FOLD, now you've lost your raise. If you limp, you can call that raise and still hit your set.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just don't do it. Fold 22-66 pre in EP. This play is break even/losing ev wise depending on the strength of the pair. This is a leak that you can fix!

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no set way to play these types of hands b/c every decision pends upon who you're playing against.

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more you limp, the bigger your dick becomes!

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just don't do it. Fold 22-66 pre in EP. This play is break even/losing ev wise depending on the strength of the pair. This is a leak that you can fix!

This is terrible advice. Far too prescriptive.

B

Bird173

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The thing that nobody has mentioned is stack depth! If you are deep stacked in a cash game I’d probably raise 3x and I’d still call if somebody bumps it up to 9x (this is assuming 100bb stacks as you need to be getting 10:1 to see mine. One out every 8 times we should get there on the flop). If it’s a tourney though or for some other reason you are short stacked chuck it in the muck with less than a 40bb eff stack. I thinking limping the small pairs EP could be effective for n the right situation... I.e. 50-80bb eff stack.
Just my two cents though I’m not a winning player Lol

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you shouldn't limp small pairs

As others have mentioned, limping in with small pairs doesn't give you any information on what other players have. Not to mention if you flop a set and have the nuts, then you're not extracting much value from everyone else. I would maybe bet 3x BB pre-flop and if people call they probably have other small pairs or Ax, Kx hands as part of a tighter range.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here it is boys. You raise in early position with a small PP, when you get three bet what are you going to do? FOLD, now you've lost your raise. If you limp, you can call that raise and still hit your set.

Thank you for your post. I agree with Aces %100. This is a great way to see 3 cards for a minimal price. Hit a set bet or raise. Miss and I'm check folding to any amount. Good Luck

Good Luck To All:cool:

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to limp with anything, prefer to raise a c-bet depending on the flop and number of callers. But if you will do it you might think about limping with big pairs also to keep your range ballanced. If you always limp with only small pairs you will be aesy to read.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is terrible advice. Far too prescriptive.

I fail to see how this is terrible advice. Most inexperienced and recreational players should be folding these hands in EP. Rarely will they be able to make profitable decisions long term with these hands post flop, since they are usually OOP and potentially multiway. Heck most pros don't even play these hands in EP due to them being marginally profitable at best.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are deep-stacked enough, notably early on, it's fine to limp, limp/call with small pairs. You are looking to set mine here. It's a speculative hand that you are looking to hit a monster flop with. You don't wanna be building up the pot when you are going to miss the flop most of the time.

You should not be playing aggressively with small PP OOP.

In the mid- to late-stages, do not limp.

People that tell you never do this or never do that, you have to think twice about their advice. Tournament poker strategy depends on the situation.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A min raise would be much better, because you have a chance to do a long range blind steal. because the position opening commands a really strong hand.