Limping in with big slick

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am curious what other players think about a move that happened earlier in a tournament that I was playing.

We are playing the 12th level and blinds are at 3,000-6,000-6,000. The UTG player limps in and everyone except me folds. I am in the BB and it doesn't cost me any additional chips to see a flop. Right away my read on him some of the lower broadway connectors, pocket 6 - J. How often would you limp in with big slick at this level in the tournament or how would your read differ from mine?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If everyone folds to you, they probably read the UTG as a strong move with just a limp. How long were you at this particular table?

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost an hour. I know this player from previous interactions and he will play any two cards like he has the nuts... we were playing 6 handed waiting for someone to bust so we could go to the final table. In general everyone is tightening because of the final table and how expensive the blinds are starting to get.

Your suggestion is a good alternative to think about. Which is why I posted my question, so that I could have other perspective to think about the hand and what I learned from the play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only limp behind other limpers or from SB in tournaments with antes. Yeah sure a limp-trap can work sometimes and allow you to go for a limp-reraise, but if you only limp with aces, its not exactly a balanced line, and I just dont think, its nessesary to ever do this at all. As for assigning limpers a range I rely heavily on my HUD. There are basically 3 different types of limpers:

a) The guy who limp everything. He can have stats like 35/0 or 58/2, which mean, his range is wide but also uncapped. You can isolate, but if you get limp-reraised, you typically have to give it a fair amount of respect, and if he just call, he will sometimes show up with very strong hands like AK or QQ, that he just limp-called.

b) The guy who limp trash. He can have stats like 45/19 or 69/12. This type of player is an absolute gold mine in tournaments. When he limp, he has essentially said, that he have a hand, which is so bad, that he should just have folded it. This also mean, he can not call a jam, so jamming on such limpers with even 20-25BB absolutely prints money. He is basically just donating 1BB at a time.

c) The tight aggressive player who suddenly limp. He can have stats like 12/9 or 16/14. This is the time, where alarm bells need to go off, especially if he is so short stacked, that he could have open jammed. I will typically just get out of the way, since the risk of a limp-trap is very high from a player like this.