Limping with any two card

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early on in the MTTs I go to, basically everyone limps because the blinds are so low. Starting stacks are T10,000 and blinds start at 25/50, going up every 15 mins.

My question is, say we are in the small blind at an 8 person table and everyone limps. Is it worth calling with ATC to see a flop when the pot odds are so ridiculously good (pot is 325 and it costs 25 to call)? What about from the BU, or with slightly fewer limpers?

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's fine to limp in those cases, but be sure you can let your hand go even if you hit something. The problem with playing those hands is that you'll be often holding the second best hand and could lose a considerable chunk of your stack if you can't get away from it. So be sure you have the best hand before committing to the pot after the flop.

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those hands can get into tough spots like said above. Other thing is sometimes you are going to flop what you think is the best hand and be crushed. For instance you have 9-5 off... flop comes 55J or something. A player with A5 probably makes you go broke.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better raise. bad, when a lot of players. hard to read the hands. play against any two - it's bad.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's fine to limp in those cases, but be sure you can let your hand go even if you hit something. The problem with playing those hands is that you'll be often holding the second best hand and could lose a considerable chunk of your stack if you can't get away from it. So be sure you have the best hand before committing to the pot after the flop.

This is why these hands often play better as 3 bets as AT plays better heads up than multiway

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as long as your not flatting htese limps behind then good. If youre just going along with the crowd UGGGG!!!

**** NO ITS NOT WORTH GETTING IN EVERYHAND OVER AND OVER 4-5way

We do not play poker to hit cards

REPEAT REPEAT - WE DO NOT PLAY POKER TO HIT CARDS

and now what needs to happen to win these 8way pots

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the pot is giving you 7:1 or 8:1 its mathematically correct for any 2.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends if you think that your hand has a probability of winning I think you should always increase there depending on the flop you decide if to conclude with the increases, but limp depedendo of the situation is still an option
:dancing2::icon_rr:

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This probably makes the most sense

This is why these hands often play better as 3 bets as AT plays better heads up than multiway

This is good as well, however good postflop play can let you take down much bigger pots when you go multiway and flop some big hands

as long as your not flatting htese limps behind then good. If youre just going along with the crowd UGGGG!!!

**** NO ITS NOT WORTH GETTING IN EVERYHAND OVER AND OVER 4-5way

We do not play poker to hit cards

REPEAT REPEAT - WE DO NOT PLAY POKER TO HIT CARDS

and now what needs to happen to win these 8way pots

I limp behind a lot (probably more than I should) but I am pretty good at minimizing what I lose in multiway pot and maximizing what I win so it works out well for me. I don't now a lot of people who can make it work tho, so this post is absolutely awesome.

If the pot is giving you 7:1 or 8:1 its mathematically correct for any 2.

Hey You, who do you think you are bringing math into a poker conversation?:beer::beer::beer:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early on in the MTTs I go to, basically everyone limps because the blinds are so low. Starting stacks are T10,000 and blinds start at 25/50, going up every 15 mins.

My question is, say we are in the small blind at an 8 person table and everyone limps. Is it worth calling with ATC to see a flop when the pot odds are so ridiculously good (pot is 325 and it costs 25 to call)? What about from the BU, or with slightly fewer limpers?

Yeah I agree that it is OK to limp here. BUT.....now you are playing against the entire table out of position! And, what flop or board is going to be good for your ATC?

I assume some player limped to re-raise the button's raise?

Personally, I hate calling here and I prefer an expensive squeeze with any two cards....but anybody who calls is probably beating you.

Yes, we should NOT be calling to just try and get lucky....

Good luck !

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
To be honest early in a MTT I try to avoid playing any two cards even if I have 8:1 pot odds etc. If there is a possibility to overplay your hand and lost at the early stages then just fold. I play some holdings with good potential combinations like AXs , or suited connectors or mid pocket pairs, which I can 3bet preflop.

The bad thing about playing the early stages is that players shove their entire stacks so easily and they don't pot control like the later stages. So I don't want to put myself in such marginal spots early on and I play the safe way!

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually my theory is if the pot odds are great it means that a lot of people are entering the pot.

In online poker it is too difficult to steal pots from multiple players its just better to fold and get out of danger.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its always good to raise! limit the field of players. Then you take control of the pot. When so many people limp my raising range is way wider. Get down to 4players and ready to rock and roll. Good luck

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Personally I think that poker players who prefer to limp at any position during any moment of the tournament should go and play colorings or chu-chu-train with children instead of playing poker.
I only know 2 actions in poker. 1 is bet and 2 is fold.
There is just one type of fold.
There are many types of bets. Like 3bet, C-bet, question bet, joke bet, bluff bet, curious bet, provoking bet and so on.
Limp is a possible option in just one case, if you're in some early position, with pocket monster pair and the table is very aggressive, so you know for sure that there will be a raise behind you, so you're limping to make a trap and will 3bet or shove.
If you limp often you're not collecting any useful info, but you're giving a info to your opponents, info that you're the fish.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes to all over your questions even with a slightly fewer limpers, it's profitable to follow suit and limp behind everyone. That's one of the general strats to win in a freeroll which is to limp behind to see cheap flops. I imagine you're playing at a micro or low stake if players are doing that. So yes, it's profitable as hell to limp call.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi There
Its recomended that in online mtts at the begining of the game you should limp (excepted very good hands)

Red0nkulousAK

Red0nkulousAK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Horrible strategy, You're better of betting 10X and picking up all the dead money ATC

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe save the mental energy. Such a community pots supports every hope and dream.
A monster flop will probably not pay anyway. More likely to get a decent hand against multiple strong draws. Then again, it's probably only 5% of your stack. Perhaps no right or wrong answer, just perspectives.

T

TrippinVinnie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
limping in any pot

I personally feel that limping into any pot holding any hands except for the top 5 hands in the small blind. your either going to bleed your chips away by calling and then having to let it go or get crushed by someone holding a superior hand. If you get your chips in good then thats all you can do.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

[/QUOTE]

My strategy early in tournaments is to wait for a decent starting hand and try to punish all the limpers. Its relatively easy to build a good stack if things go right.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I generally won't call with atc in sb if I am holding two lousy hands. I'd want at least gap connectors or suited cards.