Late tournament Stages

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've gotten close to the money but haven't cashed in top 3 in a while i've gotten 4th,11th,14th & 20th but i still think there is a leak somewhere maybe someone can help. It could be I'm not implementing proper icm strat during these moments, any input would help and gl grinders

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm a super nit in these situations esp. the final 9 when blinds are high i sit and let the others knock each other out and become aggro when i have strong hands it's about 60/40 for me

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've gotten close to the money but haven't cashed in top 3 in a while i've gotten 4th,11th,14th & 20th but i still think there is a leak somewhere maybe someone can help. It could be I'm not implementing proper icm strat during these moments, any input would help and gl grinders
Same here i play nitty and when i have big hands i play them so aggro that everyone folds I'm paying a freeroll tourney on bol rn I'll update you in a few

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Maybe you're not using ICM correctly. In terms of fixing that I would recommend two things. One, take ICM quizzes. They help give you a feel for what the right answer is. And two, review your pushes (or decision not to push) after the game. Put them in an ICM calculator if not too inconvenient. Maybe at least pick your one or two most questionable moves.

Another possibility, however, could just be variance. You listed 4 outcomes. That's not a large enough sample size.

As for playing like a nit, as others suggested, I generally agree. It's the easiest way to play. But don't get carried away and get anted / blinded out. Also, look an see if the player (or two) on your left are also nits, and if so, be sure to try an occasional blind steal.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you're not using ICM correctly. In terms of fixing that I would recommend two things. One, take ICM quizzes. They help give you a feel for what the right answer is. And two, review your pushes (or decision not to push) after the game. Put them in an ICM calculator if not too inconvenient. Maybe at least pick your one or two most questionable moves.

Another possibility, however, could just be variance. You listed 4 outcomes. That's not a large enough sample size.

As for playing like a nit, as others suggested, I generally agree. It's the easiest way to play. But don't get carried away and get anted / blinded out. Also, look an see if the player (or two) on your left are also nits, and if so, be sure to try an occasional blind steal.
The quizzes and calculater is a good idea thank you and i will start studying my push or fold strat, i have one more question when on the Button is j/7o and k/4s a raise or call??

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For later stages, having a chip stack provides the greatest advantage. Otherwise, you are subject to flips and a x3BB raise on any premium hand can be costly if you do not hit the flop. Not many options with less than 15BB, if indeed you find yourself in this position at the later rounds.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The quizzes and calculater is a good idea thank you and i will start studying my push or fold strat, i have one more question when on the Button is j/7o and k/4s a raise or call??
J7o a fold and K4s a raise I think..

Consider position very effective at this point in the tournament especially of the player's vpip you could potentially verse as the blinds are so important, consider your vpip as well especially if you've been on the same table for a long time as it is crucial in how other players regard your potential cards, completely different scenario based on your BBs ie. 15 or >35 and everything in between. But be careful as 35 bbs can go down to 25 pretty quickly and then 15 and then low and behold, 5.

Last edited: