Late registration, 5 advantages

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
reads

I agree with your thought but the better time to stack off some weak opponents and increase dramatically your stack is at the first stages where everyone plays with the anxiety of a quick double up and that leads to mistakes.

Also you will understand what type of player is everyone, you can make some reads :)

Yes, and make good notes during the time as to card range of others.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late reg is ok for me i like it because by the time i reg most of the donkeys are gone and blinds are where i like them to be

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the same way when it comes to not having hours to devote to long tourneys. I love to jump in as its about to close registration and then play aggressive until i come up to the average. by that time people are shoving left and right anyways and so it almost saves me the time of building up a stack slowly only to get into shove matches.

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's advisable to study the current stacks first :)

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the late registration, I just do not agree when it is for more than 30 minutes, there are tournaments that have late registrations of up to 2 hours, this I do not agree.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Point by point.

Late registration, a lot of members are against it. For me, I often late register when I don't have 3+ hours to dedicate to a MTT tourney.

>1. Not starting with the total field, I miss the first stage when all the donks shove, with or >without decent cards.

That is exactly backwards. You WANT to be in when the bad players are in. Granted, the all-in maniacs will give you a lot of variance, but why would you want to wait to play with better players?

>2. Since the blinds are up, relative to my stack, it's easier to make big decisions.

That's also backwards. You are waiting until luck is a larger factor. If you are better than the average competition, that's the last thing you want. If you are not better than the fish, study more until you are, or pick a different hobby.

>3. Joining a tourney that is on-going, shortens the amount of time invested the tourney.

That's pretty valid, as long as you have one of those...what's it called again? Oh, yeah...a LIFE. I wouldn't know.

>4. Haven't cashed when registering late, I am just pointing out a few upsides.

If you've played a lot of tourneys that way, that should tell you something. If only a few, you have insufficient data.

>5. With late reg, it's freer, expectations are different. Probably won't be ITM, so it's not >the end of the world, one way or another.

I'm not sure what that means.

>Just my thoughts,

And mine. Tale it for what it's worth.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly!

I prefer the beginning because there are many fish on the table that go all in with bluffs and bad hands.

Yep. It means that the first part is skewed more towards luck, but so what? That usually means you are either knocked out very early (saving your time), or you wind up in the middle stages with a huge stack.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love play more loose, for me it is the best advantage on this for late registration. Normally, in the early (registration) do you not play loose, because everyone usually plays very tight so nothing pretty much happens. However, in late registration the blinds increasing quickly and are high which forces everyone to play loose.

Yonip17

Yonip17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah late registration for me is good. I can play more loose and aggresively.

S

santiago matias

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
late registration is good for me, i always have a good run when i late register