garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

I had an experience playing a 4h LR tournament from the beginning once. only to min cash after 7.30h of play. And yes, it was a micro so i just doubled my cents invested.

I am curious on how do most players approach it. Do you guys prefer to register at the beginning of a tournament or would you rather go within the first 10/20lvls?

If you prefer any of those, why?

I prefer the short late reg because I find it better to play in the early stages. Feels easier to play with a medium/big stack against the other players like there are more unexperienced players around and I am able to build a bigger stack before the first hour. After that, usually gets even easier as you start to exploit the short stacks late regging. (of course, that does not happen every time).

So, in your opinion. Which is better? And why?

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love late registration, so I enter tournaments 5-30 minutes before registration ends.Why do i like it?Because I don't want to waste my time,I go into the game, quickly build up the stack and play further, or I immediately fly out))everything is easy and simple))

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A tournament not reaching the money until after 7h 30min sounds pretty insane to me. I think, the best choise is probably to not play it to be honest? Its just way to much time to spend, especially if you are playing for insignificant money.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost always am a late registration (or super late last-minute registration) for most regular tournaments (not including freerolls, PKOs and other variants). Based on the tournament schedule and what time (and how much time) I have to play, I'd never want to play a 4-hour late registration event from the start. Unless I make it to final table, the most I'd win if I'm in the money after 5-7 hours of play would be 1.5-6x my buy-in, which isn't worth it for my time.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to play in tournaments with registration length, but if I sit down to play, then only at the beginning of the tournament, maximum 10-15 minutes after the start, you must agree that there is little good in playing with a steak 8-10 times less than the opponent's [SPOILER ] [/

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A tournament not reaching the money until after 7h 30min sounds pretty insane to me. I think, the best choise is probably to not play it to be honest? Its just way to much time to spend, especially if you are playing for insignificant money.

Completely true. Yeah that was a one time experience. After that (and wow, the frustration of so many hours for so little money lol!) I never tried that specific one again.

The ones I am currently playing are 2h late reg max, which I see is the most common type on the site I play.

There are others with shorter late registration periods like 30min, but these are almost always hypers.

I liked the idea of the last 30min registration, I might give it a try and see how it goes :) (Also, of course I would do that if I had at least a 20-25BB stack, less than that I think it would be just gambling).

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer to play the tournament from the very beginning due to the fact that at the beginning of the tournament there are a lot of weak players and it is easy to play with them !!!

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

I had an experience playing a 4h LR tournament from the beginning once. only to min cash after 7.30h of play. And yes, it was a micro so i just doubled my cents invested.

I am curious on how do most players approach it. Do you guys prefer to register at the beginning of a tournament or would you rather go within the first 10/20lvls?

If you prefer any of those, why?

I prefer the short late reg because I find it better to play in the early stages. Feels easier to play with a medium/big stack against the other players like there are more unexperienced players around and I am able to build a bigger stack before the first hour. After that, usually gets even easier as you start to exploit the short stacks late regging. (of course, that does not happen every time).

So, in your opinion. Which is better? And why?
So, the answer to the question - "When should I register for the tournament?" - depends on your ROI and bankroll. The lower your ROI, the more buy-ins you should have in your bankroll. When you check in early in the MTT, you have a deeper stack, which gives you more room for a higher win rate. Early registrations also have more fish in the tournament, while late registrations tend to have fewer, because fish fly out faster than regulars. If you get kicked out after the first hand on early registration, then obviously you should always re-enter as there will be no ROI difference. If you have the opportunity to participate in the tournament from the beginning, you should be able to rebuy.The problem appears when you start a tournament game with 20bb through the late registration option. In such a case, you have a much lower ROI, and therefore the variance is much higher, so perhaps now you need 2 or 3 times as many buy-ins (than if you started the tournament from the very beginning) for this to be a good investment. and met the requirements of reliable bankroll management.This is why you can see the best players make unlimited entries when they have huge bankrolls; they can afford to put themselves in very low ROI situations. Thus, a re-entry tournament system is always better for the best and richest players.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost always am a late registration (or super late last-minute registration) for most regular tournaments (not including freerolls, PKOs and other variants). Based on the tournament schedule and what time (and how much time) I have to play, I'd never want to play a 4-hour late registration event from the start. Unless I make it to final table, the most I'd win if I'm in the money after 5-7 hours of play would be 1.5-6x my buy-in, which isn't worth it for my time.

Agree with you AUS - the 4 hour + late registration events on ACR usually pay out 2.5x the buy-in for min-cash, and upwards of 100x the buy-in if you are able to hit the top spot. Usually 3rd is getting roughly 50x the buyin, 2nd is getting 75x and 1st is getting no less than 100x the buyin.

The $4.40 4000gtd on ACR is even better. Top place gets somewhere in the ball park of 175x the buy-in. Just the other day I cashed for 5x and I barely made it into the top 100. The payout for first place was well over $700.00. Super overlay?!? :) BTW - I late regged in this event with 16bbs. lol (proving your point)

But - it's obvious to everyone registering late for events like this - first - you are missing out on all the soft spots that are available early in these events. Also you are instantly putting yourself at a disadvantage in relation to all players who have grinded up a stack in this event. 10bb stack nearing the end of late registration is essentially - banking on luck - that you will get one chance, and one only, to get a double - and possibly limp into the bottom of the prize pool.

However - I totally understand all the players who value their time - and those extremely long late registration events are a grueling slog that requires dedication to that event for no less than half a day. It is not 'worth' the time commitment for a lot of players.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah it looks like ACR for me too.

I agree with you, its important to select which game is worth to play you considering the time-income that you are able to invest from.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately thats how the tournament poker works. Hours before getting into the money don't matter much. But once in the money, you are rewarded more for every ladder of prize money. I prefer tournaments with late registration of 120 - 150 mins. Anything more than that is a test of patience for me.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Micro or medium does not matter, everything can be considered for a start! ;) The game from the start of the tournament gives a lot of opportunities and information for any player, but only if he can use it correctly! :) It is not easy to enter the late registration, because you get every round of pressure and have very few options and opportunities for the game, you are limited by your bank....

Also, you do not have any information about your opponents and you also do not have time to collect it the blinds will kill you...... It is impossible and wrong to hope for a successful all-in for yourself to double the pot, so playing at a late registration does not have many advantages before the start of the tournament. But the game from the start, requires more attention, strength, patience and experience of the game, so as not to make many mistakes, when this the bank allows you to! ;)