Late game, how not to get frustrated ???

F

felima0211

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After hours and hours in front of those tournaments micros that even after 8 hrs of game still pay $ 4, $ 5 dollars unless you get among the top three, taking into account that we can find adverse situations that can leave us very far from these first three positions ... how not to get frustrated with it?:(

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah,the life of a tournament player! :ciao: Yes,,the "Real" money is at the Final Table,that's the reality of it,but when you win,you receive a good chunk of cash! :D

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There are plenty of options, but I refuse to call them good to be sincere.Don't play long games like this.
Play less tournaments, make days off.
Don't put all your energy in it, do other stuff during these games.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
All par for the course in tournament play :)

M

Maitresse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are plenty of options, but I refuse to call them good to be sincere.Don't play long games like this.
Play less tournaments, make days off.
Don't put all your energy in it, do other stuff during these games.

I would probably agree that the payoff for such an investment of time might not be worth it, unless you're freerolling and trying to build up a bankroll...

At the moment, that is what I am doing so I have to say that doing other stuff is a good piece of advice. If you play fairly tight, you're folding a lot of hands, and if the game is lasting that long, definitely have a back up activity. I find folding clothes is an easy, productive task that's not distracting. I'll even prep and cook a meal with my laptop nearby sometimes. Also, if you live where there's recreational, that helps a lot with the frustration late game, I have to say, especially if you're starting to fade out.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
After hours and hours in front of those tournaments micros that even after 8 hrs of game still pay $ 4, $ 5 dollars unless you get among the top three, taking into account that we can find adverse situations that can leave us very far from these first three positions ... how not to get frustrated with it?:(
I used to play long tournaments, too . I'm lazy. Look for other poker rooms through affiliates . Play less intense tournaments .;)

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to love the game more than your life, and in the very same moment you get kicked out of a Tourney you have to shout out loud: "Next time I'll get you!!", and start a new tournament..

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it comes down to expectations...if i'm running really well in the beginning of the tourney and I look where i am currently placed and i see i'm in first...Its easy for me to get hyped about the big payload i could make if things continue to go the way theyve been going, and what happens is i can begin to adopt unrealistic expectations and enter a mind palace where variance, luck and toe-stubbing isn't a thing.

"Hope deffered makes the heart grow sick"

When we stop fantasizing about the money at the final table and instead play hand to hand and can celebrate good play more than lucky wins...then we're getting somewhere. Just cant look at the big payouts with a mentality of entitlement.

All that said...it sucks to make it super close to the big payout and miss the cheese. Thats always going to be frustrating, that is, until you stop playing poker.

M

Maitresse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we stop fantasizing about the money at the final table and instead play hand to hand and can celebrate good play more than lucky wins...then we're getting somewhere. Just cant look at the big payouts with a mentality of entitlement.

Nice! I really like this. I actually think about this quite a bit. Bringing mindfulness principles to poker.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, we must hope that when you will have the first place in the tournament and it will be very fun for you, but for now we hope and wait.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Want cash constantly, play cash...

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should enjoy the game not just focus on winning the money.

B

Barbarik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Register for a new one and play before winning!:aetsch:

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it comes down to expectations...if i'm running really well in the beginning of the tourney and I look where i am currently placed and i see i'm in first...Its easy for me to get hyped about the big payload i could make if things continue to go the way theyve been going, and what happens is i can begin to adopt unrealistic expectations and enter a mind palace where variance, luck and toe-stubbing isn't a thing.

All that said...it sucks to make it super close to the big payout and miss the cheese. Thats always going to be frustrating, that is, until you stop playing poker.

I seen someone write here on another topic about why early chip leader never wins. And I think I am starting to see it. Although they can win it's unlikely. Recently I have played 3 tournaments 2 deep runs one minor cash. The deep runs I just survive early and middle, thats my mentally and I'm in there with average sack. Then late I pick right moments to go all in and call them. And late game I became chip leader in both deep runs . One for about 20 mins but still up theee and one for a while

F

felima0211

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Great line of reasoning, no doubt to be able to see other ways to reach the goals should be rather the best direction to be followed, it is just that many times just because we are at 30.20 positions of a giant award our subconscious begins to imagine the many things that will be possible with that prize, creating a self esteem and hope that distract us from the focus of playing hand to hand and making decisions with friesa even after winning a big pot and becoming CL we still go a long way to create all this arsenal of happiness that can turn into a nightmare in a few minutes ... The way is to keep the focus and step up step by step, without self sabotaging with anticipated expectations. Thank you very much for your attention !!! :D

F

felima0211

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This type of discussion is very enriching because we can absorb a little of each person and thus create different ways of thinking and not let our brain is in the comfort zone, thank you to everyone !!!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn to take min cashes regularly and with happiness and never give up victory
is certain to follow good luck.:)

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great line of reasoning, no doubt to be able to see other ways to reach the goals should be rather the best direction to be followed, it is just that many times just because we are at 30.20 positions of a giant award our subconscious begins to imagine the many things that will be possible with that prize, creating a self esteem and hope that distract us from the focus of playing hand to hand and making decisions with friesa even after winning a big pot and becoming CL we still go a long way to create all this arsenal of happiness that can turn into a nightmare in a few minutes ... The way is to keep the focus and step up step by step, without self sabotaging with anticipated expectations. Thank you very much for your attention !!! :D

My pleasure. The thought process here is along the same vein of, when you're playing in a tourney that is still in late registration and you've quadrupled up your stack in the first hour, your ecstatic. But you lose on a river and all of a sudden your stack is cut in half. Now, its still twice the size of the starting stack...but on an intelectual/emotional level because you've lost half your chips you don't think you've double your starting stack but instead you interpret the events as having lost half of all your chips.

Because of that--the guy who just entered the tournament and increased his stack by 10% his very first hand-- is now in a much healthier/optimal place mentally than you because he's more content about his 10% upswing than you are about your overall 100% upswing from your starting stack.

To take that a step further...when we stop looking at the immediate results (how we placed) of our tournament and instead aggresively look to improve our game and our control of our emotions...thats what directs your trajectory to be one of either succes or failure...the cashes are wonderful...but what is forever more valuable than our cashes, is our ability/knowlege to be able to get there again on a regular basis.

Thats what I'm working on learning and applying right now.

Top 10 Games