Large multi tables

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

So I've been playing a lot of multi table tourneys lately (I quite enjoy them) and was wondering what is considered "good".

I fancy my self as an above average poker player and am working to be better. I'm just curious what people consider good in multi table tourneys? I think it is unrealistic to think you will make it to the final table every tourney.

Let's hear others opinions.
Thanks,
S.Powell

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey,

So I've been playing a lot of multi table tourneys lately (I quite enjoy them) and was wondering what is considered "good".

I fancy my self as an above average poker player and am working to be better. I'm just curious what people consider good in multi table tourneys? I think it is unrealistic to think you will make it to the final table every tourney.

Thanks,
S.Powell

Thank you for posting

Their are so many factors regarding MTT’S that good at them is hard to equate with just having results. For instance 4K runners or Large big blind jumps or 30 levels of rebuys all effect results
As does short term variance.

The best way to understand your ability is to review hands looking for mistakes. When you find your errors reflect on why? The why of your mistakes reveals your skill level

Hope this helps

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on your definition of "good." I think good is being positive in cash flow, meaning you don't have to add money to sustain your playing.

If the MTT pays 10% of the field, you should at least get ITM 10% of the time. Then 10% of those should be a deep run (like final table). I think good would be anything over these figures.

In my MTT game, I was getting ITM closer to 25% of the time, but not getting any deep runs. I have been adjusting (not effectively) to try and finish higher, even if it means not reaching the money as often (which is the only thing that is happening so far).

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good baseline for ITM% is whatever percentage of players that the tournament plays. So, if it pays out 15% of players, 15% ITM is fine. If you're ITM% is much higher, say, 25%, you're cashing more often but it's likely you aren't finish very deep. If you're finishing lower, say 10% ITM but your ROI% is low/negative, then you're busting out too early and are unable to get deep when you do cash. But if your ITM is 10% but you're ROI is, say 20%, then you're cashing less often but you're also making deeper runs as that's where they profit in poker is made.

So, overall, ITM% does't matter as much as ROI does but both can be a good indicator of where you are, skill wise, over a large size. Again, using a 15% payout baseline, if your ITM is 10-15%, and you have a 5-10% ROI or better, you're doing good. Any positive ROI is good. Keep in mind that you can have a high ITM% and a low/negative ROI%, which isn't great at all.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

Thanks,
S.Powell

With large MTT tournaments, they can get quite swingy. Also, the payout structure is usually 10% or less of the field, which I use a benchmark of success. I'm generally pleased if I can get in the top 10% of the field because that means you beat 90% of the field!

Note that I play primarily freerolls, which often has fields of 1,000+ and I have only ever won once out of the 100+ tournments I've played in and made final table maybe a dozen times. For me, I'm focused on getting into the bubble more often like around 30-40% of the time and right now, I hit the bubble around 15-20% of the time.

I think getting final table every single time with a field of 1,000 is pretty much impossible to be honest so gotta take it step by step.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As far as I am aware there are no specific criteria to judge whether a player is 'better than average' other than being in profit( doh!) That said I agree with the parameters set out by the posters above (cashing 10 to 15% of the time...hitting a final after 10% of those cashes etc.)

Whether playing free rolls or micro stakes, keep a spread sheet regardless. With free rolls you can note where you finished, cashes and % of final tables which are all indicators of an improving game. With the micro stakes you will know exactly how much you have spent in buy-ins against tourney cashes and whether you are ahead.

And I would also say remain relaxed about everything. It's a journey embarked upon which is going to span (if you are serious) an extended period. Once you can look at such a lengthening period you will see consistencies with improvements and in the longer run be less concerned with the days/tourneys where good cards eluded you.

O

Oli3579

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just look for a positive ROI over a large sample size