KQo out of position

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was watching someone play recently, and multiple times I saw them raise in EP with KQo. They weren't short stacked, so they weren't forced to raise.

Maybe it's from my ICM push/shove analysis, where I learned that you almost never shove with anything UTG, but I've never thought KQo was a very good EP starting hand.

Looking at a couple of opening hand charts, I see one that includes KQo from UTG and one that does not.

And how about in the SB? I saw the player raise once from there with KQo even with the button limping.

Thoughts? Am I being overly harsh on KQo in EP? Or is it one of those hands that is a maybe/maybe not scenario, so no big deal either way?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really isn't that great in EP, however if you feel like you have a solid read on the table and can outplay people in the streets then it becomes more favorable.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They could have been trying to make a move. Betting with KQo right before the money could be dangerous, unless they see other players playing extremely tight.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very difficult to give an opinion without having more information.

- How many players were at the table ?
- How were the other players playing ?
- What stakes ?
- How far into the tournament was it ?
- What were the stack sizes ?

There could definitely be a good reason for doing this. Perhaps the other players were playing too tight. Perhaps it was a short handed game. Perhaps this player was experimenting to see how long he/she could be successful with such a move. In general, I'm not opening UTG with KQo in a 9+ handed game. AQo is probably the worst hand I'm raising with. In the SB, I can see raising with KQo if there weren't any raises ahead of me. Why not ? If the button is limping, then you are looking to steal 2BB instead of 1.5BB.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
In 6-max or shorter it is an open with KQo even in EP.

In full ring it is often a fold UTG read-less. KQs is enough to include. But after thatt some charts starts to put it in.

It all depends on the table: stacks and player types (reads). If they fold a lot pre-flop, on the flop or later you can open up the aggression/range.

But it is certainly a marginal hand from early position so if you fold it most of the time you won't lose any money. It is more for image and board cover if you include it so you won't look like a total nit. Against unknown players just fold it until you get to 5 or 6 players left most of the time.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ off or suited isn't that strong from Ep at all, if you get called your battleing with a hand that NEEDS to hit a flop to continue. At least with AK your sometimes good aafter a flop, with KQ its more of a hand that needs to hit to be good. If you don't hit with the hand it is very hard to play. Raising this hand in EP is not a mistake but you should be very careful playing the hand especially if you don't hit, then it's kind of a worthless hand.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example on preflop play QK without positions, this hand very good if on flop not will ace, donk-bet almost always can be take from pot.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KQo from EP is fold in 9-10 handed ring, but in 6-handed it’s very playable

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I will raise i at time depending on the table and where we are in the tournament. Early on I hate it and fold more often than not as KQo is a very borderline hand in EP. I do see a lot of other play this type of hand in EP all the time and admit they dont do so well with it in the long run.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the comments. I do tend to play 9 handed, and it sounds like most agree that generally KQ is not a good opening hand EP.

But as some have pointed out, 6 handed, it's not so bad, since there isn't really EP in those games. I believe that was actually the case in all of the examples I saw.

Thanks for reminding me!

Tr0pik

Tr0pik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah in 6 handed table is a playable hand.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
To use these types of "raise with KQo in EP" strategies, you must have a good reading of your opponents at the table ... and if the opponents are very passive and do not look like solid players ... then it seems fine Take the initiative and have complete control of the table ...!

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to raise EP with KQo, but when I know something about table I try,
I think that poker is not a game of cards and is a game of players.
If you know something about others players, maybe you can make some moves and they will work.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on each player's playing style and level. but personally I consider KQ as a good hand to defend but not to attack when we play tight.

M

Maksimus71087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in late position KQo is not a bad starting hand, if noboby raise ftom early position.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just fold and save yourself the heartache

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like KQ it really depends on how late in to the tournament as well depends on stack.

Most of the time if a huge raise I would fold and be patient for more hands to come.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always thought you should raise almost all of your hands, someone can always come over the top and make you fold, or you can see a flop at a good price..?
I'm probably very wrong.

:)

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from an early position does not need to be opened. With an average you need. If you get 3bet, then calmly throw it away. From a late position are required to open. This hand plays very well postflop.