BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi everyone ! For some time I have doubts about how I should play KK preflop in mtt tournaments with low buy-in, that is microlimites. I lost a lot of hands against an Ace with a low kicker. My bet is usually 3 or 4 bb if no opponent has increased previously and if I have usually made a bet the size of the pot. Always playing tight aggressive. How do you think is the best way to play this hand? THANKS!!

Last edited:
Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's okay to open KK with 2.5 or 3 bb. If an Ace comes out the kings become a middle pair.
In advanced stages you may receive a tribet, if you have many chips you can pay and see how to play it, if you have a low stack it's all in preflop.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's okay to open KK with 2.5 or 3 bb. If an Ace comes out the kings become a middle pair.
In advanced stages you may receive a tribet, if you have many chips you can pay and see how to play it, if you have a low stack it's all in preflop.

Pretty standard. If you see a flop that hits an ace, a 1/3 pot size bet should give you info on if they hit the ace or drawing.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello how are you doing.
First of all I must clarify that I am a rookie, but I would raise with KK quite strong (4 or 5 BB), trying to prevent a low Ace from matching or resurfacing me and finishing there. At least if I lose, I do it against an AQ or an AJ and not against A2. I think psychologically it is not the same hahaha.
Greetings

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In micro limits it’s pretty hard to play big pairs, because there are always some one who will call you with any two cards and possibly to beat you is very big. I play KK like any other hand, and when I see flop I decide what to do next. If flop looks funky, doesn’t go in my favour, I fold them easily, because I lost to many times with them. 2,5BB is a standard raise, then after flop decide what to do next. Sometimes is hard to fold monster hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to get past thinking about, what exact hand you have, and learn to instead think about, how your hand relate to the board and your opponents likely holdings. You also need to get past the idea, that because you have a particular hand, then you are supposed to always win. This is not, how poker work.

Preflop KK is the second nuts, so you usually want to raise and reraise for value, and you are almost never folding. Staggered bet sizing can be ok against some opponents, but as a default whatever your normal raise size is, this is also, what you should use with KK.

Postflop KK is just a hand like any other hand. Sometimes its the nuts like on KK8 or KJ2. Other times its a strong made hand like on AK4, Q83, or T22. Other times again its a marginal made hand like on AT4 or JJ5. Sometimes its a marginal made hand and a draw like on AJT.

If you have a general strong postflop game and know, how to play different types of hands on different board textures, then you also know how to play KK. So work on becoming better at postflop play, and learn to not get married to particular pretty looking hands.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are many amateurs at micro limits and preflop QC is a good hand, but it’s not a fact that you will win, I would recommend playing loosely aggressively

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, you play the pair of kings preflop correctly. This hand must be played aggressively, so as not to appear in multy-pot.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you play KK quite well. Of course KK is a very good hand, it does not guarantee you will win the hand. As some players already mentioned in this thread, KK can become quite weak when an A is flopped. Chances are big that when you raised preflop somebody with an A would have called you, so when there is an A on the flop, you are probably losing. So stay alert.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most important is that you dont go to the flop against more than 2 opponents because someone will hit something and that can end badly.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you have a strong hand like KK or AA doesn't mean you should deviate away from your normal preflop opening sizes my sizes tend to be 2.5 x late position to 3x early position. If your kings get beat so be it. Stack sizes also matter obviously 15BB or less it's going in the middle deeper stacked I think you can open your default size and if you get 3 bet decide what's best usually a 4 bet for me

C

Coherent16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always think I’m ahead when I have that. Whenever I see an A on the flop I always fold if someone goes over the top

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with other posters on this one. If ace comes on flop bet 1/3 and fish them out. I have been bit way to many times being over aggressive with KK and I love seeing them preflop. I would rather lose 1/3 of a pot than my whole chip stack to a A2.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely agree you played the hand correctly usually 3 BB’s. Unfortunately losing with kk’s is painful but happens all the time.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say you can raise a little more pre flop. Most players at the micros will not notice you changing your pre flop raise sizes and they are generally call heavy. I would say you can go up to 4x or 4.5x depending on the blinds. If blinds are already high 3.5x works just fine.

As far as post flop, if there is an ace on the flop, bet 1/3 to 40% of the pot and see what happens. You will get called often but that does not always mean they have an ace. If in position you can always check the turn and re-evaluate river. If there is no ace on the flop you can bet much larger such as 3/4 pot. I know on paper this seems easy to see through but most players in the micros just wont be picking this stuff up.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think that depending on the buy-in you should play aggressively, and after the pre-flop in the post-flop you should remain aggressive even if you hit the ace, depending on the progress of the hand if you see that you are losing a fold without thinking

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It depends from the position, the other players, the stage of the game and what stack you have. Generally play aggresively and remember it is only one pair!:driver:

J

Jlo111888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play all in most of Time depends structure of stacks of my opponents this is a Monster for sure :pepsi: