The King high misconception

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you feel about shoved with your King-x hands preflop or calling all ins with them? (Excluding AK and KK of course). Incredible talking KQ, KJ, and KT primarily. At early stages of my poker interest, I tended to favor these hands in shoving spots, but lately I’ve found this to be a misconception. You’re still losing to Ace high hands and pairs unless you hit your outs.

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting

Well going all in is not something you would want to do (pre flop), unless you have top pairs and even then you have to think about what game you are playing, where you are in the game, your positioning, your opponent, you bank roll etc etc.

Good luck at the tables!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you feel about shoved with your King-x hands preflop or calling all ins with them? (Excluding AK and KK of course). Incredible talking KQ, KJ, and KT primarily. At early stages of my poker interest, I tended to favor these hands in shoving spots, but lately I’ve found this to be a misconception. You’re still losing to Ace high hands and pairs unless you hit your outs.

Gap concept is King here if blinds are high by all means jam your KQ KJ and try to pick up blinds without showdown most of the time opponent folds you win and when they call you have a chance of winning 30 or 50 percent of time if low pair ect most time will be AK or big pair though play this 100 times aggressively you should see a profit + EV.

But calling someone elses shove 100 times all in with KJ KQ always showdown majority of time you lose - EV.

Weigh in other factors stage in tourney bubble chip stack position is it a SB steal attempt on your BB good luck:icon_thum

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to play A LOT of freerolls and did a lot of early shoving, KQ and KJ were death so often! I actually stopped shoving with those hands. Better to wait for AA or KK or AK, I think the odds of one of those coming is pretty high, 1/10 hands? or so....
you dont have to wait long. its worth it.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi..
KQ ... KJ ... KT ...
I stopped playing with this combination ... and in vain ...
Since often and AA, KK, AK - also flew past the game ..)))
:smokin:

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion position on the table, stage of the tournament and people playing with you (if they are tight or loose) are much more important when deciding to shove or not to shove than the particular hand. Generally KQ, KJ and KT are category 5 and 6 hands so shoving with them is appropriate only when you are at late position and there are only limpers before you.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To learn how to use these as shoves, or vs shoves, get the program SnapShove.

Can teach you proper ranges. (KT+ are often shoves on sub 15bb+)

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kx is a "hit-the-flop-hard" hand KQ-K9s can be played for call or in some cases a cold-call and maybe a raise from late position. You're looking mainly for broadway to hit on a rainbow flop. Going all-in preflop with these hands is just a good way to lose chips. I don't have a problem with these hands but they don't need to be over played. Only in desperate circumstances should you shove these hands.

Last edited:
F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
King high is the second best no pair hand. Given the right moment, call a bluff with king high.

N

nonames45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I rarely go into the game with KQ, KJ and KT cards, I agreed before they seemed like a strong card, but the longer you play the better you understand that the card is not fire, well, of course it depends on the position, raises opponents and so on, began to enter with them into the bank

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Play KT, KJ, KQ Carefully try not to invest too much stack in hands that may be dominated.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually with kx I try to make a preflop raise and try to hit something other than k on the flop, like two pairs or sequence or flush in some cases. If you do not hit normally, drop the hand

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not something to do unless you have a big stack

L

Luccasdsp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I also think a mistake to push with these hands. But I must confess that I do this from time to time. Hug!!!

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in serious tournaments I try not to play such hands

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless I am a short stack I do not push with these hand or call an all in with them unless the shove is very short and I have a good size stack. This being said when short say 12BB or less I will happy open shove KQ, and KJ and when less than 9 BB K10 and K9 suited. While I agree you would be behind any A and need to hit your card the fact is by shoving 1st I am getting players who need a better hand than many Aces would be. A9 to A2 may fold and I win a pot and that's what we are going for. Yes we will need to catch up if called but the folds we get will help us survive as well.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

To go all in pre flop with those hands, for me, depend a lot about the period of the tournament and the stack of the other players, if cash game no way to go all in

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to move all in with king high than Ace high. I found higher succes with it. Maybe I was just lucky

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The broadway are so strong can play raising or even 3 bet but I see no advantage in shove with these hands yes it is a mistake in stages start an increase with these hands
One must play more cautiously with these hands especially at the beginning of tournaments

:jd4:mateuspoker

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Play KT, KJ, KQ Carefully try not to invest too much stack in hands that may be dominated.

Hi There
Fully agree. O Never go all in with that hands. But i play them limping or small bets

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi There
Fully agree. O Never go all in with that hands. But i play them limping or small bets Specially online

Red0nkulousAK

Red0nkulousAK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only hands calling are pp's or AX, I'd say wait.

P

Pete Ski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that shoving Kx pre is going to be profitable in the long run. while you may be flipping against a smaller pocket pair you are dominated against Ax. Anyone using a HUD will soon see that you are shoving pretty wide and exploit you when they have a dominating hand

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

After you go all in, there is nothing you can do. I have lost many hand on the river, after having the best hand pre-flop. Thinking back, I realized that if I had played the hand different, I would have won, since most people will fold before seeing the river card. Going all in in my opinion is the most common way of getting bad beats. If you play KQ and your opponent might be holding A/10s or better, you could outplay your opponent. Remember, going all in is not something you do to win, you go all in just when is the right play. Otherwise you are just gambling.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After you go all in, there is nothing you can do. I have lost many hand on the river, after having the best hand pre-flop. Thinking back, I realized that if I had played the hand different, I would have won, since most people will fold before seeing the river card. Going all in in my opinion is the most common way of getting bad beats. If you play KQ and your opponent might be holding A/10s or better, you could outplay your opponent. Remember, going all in is not something you do to win, you go all in just when is the right play. Otherwise you are just gambling.
KQ is not better preflop than ATs so what you said makes no sense. If it is the other way around depanding on the number of blinds you have if you are short it is always correct to shove that AT and lose on the river. Just unlucky