Just sitting out when deep

pres7on

pres7on

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey cards fellas. I was playing a micro mtt and HAD to leave home. I was like 200bb deep, freezeout, late reg over, and when I came back I ended up in the money, of course not deep payout. Is it a good (I don't think is entirely good) strat to just hold when you are really deep to at least make it to the money?

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we play an MTT tournament, the first thing we want to ensure is to get to the ITM money and then try to get to the final table or as far as possible, in your house you had to leave and leave the game with a large pile of chips because Something unexpected came to you and you had to leave the tournament, now regarding it being a time strategy with a good stack of chips and holding on can only be done without the case of the player is necessary and urgently from his bank, but in reality it We want to get as far as possible in the tournament or win it.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You may occasionally gain a mini cash, you lose out on the opportunity to gain experience, very bad exchange. Very poor strategy.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Sitting out is hever wrong :cool:

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like sitting out on purpose when deep stacked in a tournament. I know some use it as a strategy, but from what I've seen on the site I play on most who sit out either have to leave because of a previous commitment or just briefly to handle something. I more than understand if someone thinks a tournament takes longer than they thought and have to leave to do something else. In a real money tourney I would sit out and hope that I would have enough chips to still be around when I got back.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this quite often in certain freerolls. Players will go all in from the start and try to get a large stack, eg 4-5x starting stack, and then sit out rest of tournament. I guess they know they will then mostly min cash and isn’t worth their effort to play for long time. Don’t see it happen that often in buy in tournaments as I guess they feel more invested.

As to your point of this being a good strategy, my answer is no. A min cash is not what you are looking for. You want to aim at least for final table as that is where the money is. Unless you have a super massive stack, this will not be possible. You want to use your large stack and bully the table to keep growing.

Best of luck to you.

A

auslender72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you make big stack 200bb early at tournament your goal must be ft. you must take your big stake to go deep in tournament. sit out is not a option

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think it’s a good strategy, because if you win money, it would be a small amount compared to your buy in. I think it’s an option when playing a satellite tournament and your stack is already big enough to guarantee a ticket.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless you are multi-tabling, you want to maximize your return. Play to win and you will come out way ahead of limped in min cashes. But, it may make sense to sit out a tourney to focus on other tourneys if you have multiple games.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This just goes to show that you can fold a lot (sitting out folds everything) and still place deep than a lot of players. The early stages is more about the maniacs knocking each other out early in freerolls and micro stakes. This experience you had is evidence that folding isn't so bad. However, as others noted, this is not solely a winning strategy. With less risk comes less reward and you aren't going to get deep runs by never playing a hand. In fact, you want chances to chip up during the game.

It depends on what your goals are. For whatever reason, if you goal is to min cash then folding a ton might be a viable strategy, but the better question would be why you are aiming for a min cash. Sitting out the entire game does not guarantee a min cash at all, but if you are playing nitty, then you need to ask yourself why that is.

Are you playing games outside of your bankroll you shouldn't even be in? Are you too worried about getting chips in the middle? Are you trying to avoid variance all together (not practical, nor reasonable)? etc.

The better game plan is to be playing for a win, or at least the few top spots. That is where the real money is at in most prize structures and these deep finishes are where most make their real dough. Yes, risking more and playing for a win might mean you cash less often, but it is a valuable trade-off.

Before any event, you need to determine if you are playing for a win or a Final Table, or a min cash or whatever else. Also look into ICM and ICM pressure. If your effective stack is really low, then perhaps folding every hand until you get blinded out might get you to a min cash and maybe that is actually a win for you in this scenario, but in other cases, it would be a crime to not take a chance and aim for the 1st place :D

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think getting into ITM is good, but still the main goal in poker is the final table !!! If we don't have long aisles and final tables, we will never see any profit !!!

D

DesertStorm46

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont usually have a reason to sit out. I prefer to play on my phone when im reasonably certain im not going to be pulled away from the game although you cant always guarentee that.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, unless you earn something. And tactics are not the best.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
When I started playing online poker, I always played very quickly as soon as the fold check or raise button appeared, I immediately pressed it, but then I was warned that I should play my game a little slower and always wait a few seconds. If you are on the sit out for whatever reasons, then there is always no time because you automatically fold. I hate to sit out and I don't like to play against sit out players. But there can always be reasons why you sit out. For me it is mostly because of connection problems in the game. I already had it in freerol after late reg was over and I flew out of the game and was lucky enough to be able to get back into the game after a while and found myself at the final table, but those are exceptions where you can't should count on it. If you play in a sat and you have enough stacks to get the ticket, it might be an option to sit out, but I wouldn't recommend it yet. But as already said before you should always ask yourself before you go to a tournament, do you only play to get in the money or do you want to make it to the final table

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand your words at all) If you are interested in small prizes, why play big tournaments?) There is spin&go or sng, where you can really earn a couple of dollars and have fun) Of course, it is impossible to get money every day in them, but it is fun and does not take much time, and there is no need to play for several hours to get a minimum prize..

I think, it is absolutely not serious to talk about a new technique or a way to make money)) This tactic can be used when the bubble is close and you have lost all chances to be top, then of course, you should wait for the minimum payouts, but in another situation, you should definitely actively play and increase your stack for big prizes and at the same time improve your poker experience :)

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When we are deep stacked, that's the time we have all options at our disposal. And that's also the time we should be accumulating chips for the later stages of the tournament when blinds become much larger and our chip stack shrinks down to a much smaller size relative to those blinds.

Deep stacked is most certainly NOT the time to be sitting out!!! There is only one possible time we should consider sitting out, and that is when we have arrived at the money bubble and we don't have a big stack. This is the time when out best move is to fold 100% of the hands we are dealt, yes even folding AA in some rare instances (I don't advise it, but there are a few cases where it would make some sense to do so). If we're in this situation, perhaps sitting out is the best option, until the money bubble breaks. This way, we are assured of making a cash.

But to sit out during the early levels is a terrible strategy, it is the exact opposite of what we SHOULD be doing... which is to play a lot of hands and try to accumulate a big chip stack, take some chances. It is certainly not the time to be conservative and sit out!!!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has urgent and urgent matters when you have to quit the game, but this should be very well, very rare cases, since the queue is rare for you to refuse money.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Like the scenario you played out, sometimes in a tournament you have to leave for a long period of time or until you bust out. Of course never preferred, but if you leave with a big stack, you're often able to at least cash if it's a big field since people will continue to run out of chips at a faster pace than you with antes and blinds.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you just care about min cashing you can possibly sit out like that but you will never win a tournament that way.

GabaGabaHey

GabaGabaHey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you've gotta go then you've gotta go.

But at least it's better to leave and allow your chips to be whittled down then go all in like so many crazies do no matter what their cards are when they want to leave. They just screw up the game for everybody else.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will never make a long profit that way. You make many times more than a mincash when you run deep. It is best to keep winning chips, even if you're in 1st place. Use your big stack to push people around.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol funny question

well the only time i would do that is if i have something else to do that is important . if i have a lot of chips then i might consider sitting out and go . however it depends how important the other activity is etc