JJ very early

P

PH03N1Xir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only 7 hands in, but UTG hadn't put any money into any hands yet. Button had already called a raise preflop and limped about 4 hands but not shown any cards. I usually reraise preflop with JJ in a spot like this, but decided just to call here. Am seeing this a lot lately where opponents just shove in on the flop. Usually it's pretty obvious they don't want a call, but I just don't get this play. Should I just let this go this early or are you calling this all day long?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t650)
MP1 (t1410)
Hero (t1470)
MP3 (t1460)
CO (t1230)
Button (t1290)
SB (t2510)
BB (t1980)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Jd, Jc.
UTG raises to t100, 2 folds, Hero calls t100, 2 folds, Button calls t100, 2 folds.

Flop: (t330) Th, Tc, Td(3 players)
UTG bets t1400 (All-In), Hero ???

Last edited:
57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Only 7 hands in, but UTG hadn't put any money into any hands yet. Button had already called a raise preflop and limped about 4 hands but not shown any cards. I usually reraise preflop with JJ in a spot like this, but decided just to call here. Am seeing this a lot lately where opponents just shove in on the flop. Usually it's pretty obvious they don't want a call, but I just don't get this play. Should I just let this go this early or are you calling this all day long?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t650)
MP1 (t1410)
Hero (t1470)
MP3 (t1460)
CO (t1230)
Button (t1290)
SB (t2510)
BB (t1980)

UTG raises to t100, 2 folds, Hero calls t100, 2 folds, Button calls t100, 2 folds.

I think you should call here. I don't think UTG would go all in with a Ten here. Leaving only AA, KK, and QQ beating you. I think some players will also make this play with a pair smaller than you JJ just trying to take down the pot. Some might make this play with AK. So once again I lean towards a call in this spot.

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think.youre going to be ahead a majority of the time...much like your post about flopping three aces...this person tight or otherwise could have a lower pair or a big ace...JJ looks good here

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today in Acr cc freeroll,( my first one ) I hadn't played a hand yet and on the 11th or 12th hand I was dealt JJ and went all in preflop. Got 1 caller and knocked him out with A 10. I finished 12th today in my 1st cc try and it was a ton of fun!

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t650)
MP1 (t1410)
Hero (t1470)
MP3 (t1460)
CO (t1230)
Button (t1290)
SB (t2510)
BB (t1980)

You're in middle position with JJ UTG raises to 100 and you flat? why not 3 bet to 250 or 300 and see where you are at? As played you put yourself in a position with less information than you could have.... now you have to guess if the UTG open was QQ+ not likely I call off here.. but just wondering why no three bet?

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i shove, limp or fold jacks. hate them

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this specific spot would tend to fold

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, there isn't a whole lot of information to go on. We don't know much about the player. However, the all-in seems like a scared bet. He raised 5BB pre-flop and then immediately went all-in. Sure, he has AA, KK and QQ in his range, but would he seriously bet that much with any of those hands knowing that it's almost certainly the best hand ? I'd lean towards a call here.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it depends on the type of tournament, opponents etc. but in most cases i'll call!)

B

badameli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, there isn't a whole lot of information to go on. We don't know much about the player. However, the all-in seems like a scared bet. He raised 5BB pre-flop and then immediately went all-in. Sure, he has AA, KK and QQ in his range, but would he seriously bet that much with any of those hands knowing that it's almost certainly the best hand ? I'd lean towards a call here.

I smell a weak PP. If so, you've got him drawing near dead (runner runner for quads is his only out). Alternatively it's a scared AK/AQ that doesn't want your live cards to hit.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I smell a weak PP. If so, you've got him drawing near dead (runner runner for quads is his only out). Alternatively it's a scared AK/AQ that doesn't want your live cards to hit.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking here too. It seems like the way somebody would play a middle pair or AK/AQ. I really can't see somebody pushing all-in with QQ/KK/AA here. I would think it would be a more standard 1/2 to 3/4 pot bet with any of those premium pairs.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Since UTG player didnt played any hand before, I would 3 bet and if he 4 bet i would fold. In your situation, I would fold too, u lose to very few hands, but he looks like tight and might be in that range.