It‘s me, the bubble boy from the weekly 300$ German Freeroll...

Ssssssnakes

Ssssssnakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Here's how it went down:

There were 16 players left with 15 being paid, I was 4th I believe at that time and there was absolutely no reason to do this…..

I had to pee, desperately. So I rushed to the toilet and did what I had to do, but already heard the sound in the background that my hand will be folded in a few seconds. I went back as fast as I could and saw my hand: 8 and 9, both in cross, my position was 2nd after the big blind.

Something in the back of my head told me it was a bad idea and without detour on the toilet, I probably wouldn‘t have done it. Here‘s what I thought:

- Do a simple bet of one BB, that‘ll indicate them your intention and it won‘t kill you if someone challenges you
- The chip stacks on my table were relatively even (1st: ~15k chips, last: ~8k chips; Mine: ~12k chips) and given the painfully high BB of 1,600$ plus 150$ ante (I hate it when the blinds go up every 5 minutes!) even with my stack I would have been gone with no win soon enough
- I knew that with every hand the risk of permanent all-ins would rise and with that the luck aspect while chip stacks won‘t count
- Everyone was afraid to become the bubble boy, which is a chance to gain against the general risk aversion

Within one or two seconds, my decision was made and I went into the pot with one BB.

Everyone folded, just as I had anticipated… the exception being the guy on the BB who had like 3000$ more than me. He called and at that point, I should have realized what he had in mind. Because no matter what, he wouldn‘t finish the tournament with this hand. He‘d still have two BB left and could go on for an entire round until the next BB reaches him.

For me though, if I lose it: Nada, Null, Nothing. Obviously, I didn‘t care for such game theoretic details. I guess, my at that momenta already empty bladder was still messing with my attention and so I didn‘t see his stack, but only what was smiling at me in the flop:

- 8 heart
- 5 diamond
- 2 spade

YEAH, that‘s mine!

If that thought ever pops up in your mind, you immediately have to fold!

Still, I didn‘t care. All that counted for me was that top pair that I hit, while he certainly won‘t give in to the insanity of the risk this hand was loaded with, especially since the only reason for his call was that it was cheap. I‘m not sure what exactly I thought in that moment, but it must have been something deranged like that.

Hoping he didn‘t have QQ or something higher and that he‘d be sensible enough to let go of the idea of going all-in with something weaker, I moved all my chips into the pot.

He didn‘t need more time than I did with his decision and called me with pocket tens.

Oh, crap!

Then came...

- Turn: 4 cross
- Rriver: Ten cross

And that was it, I was out.

The German tournaments bubble depp thrown out with not only pockets, but triplets...

Question is: Would you have done it?

a) my insane bet
b) his insane call

PS: The lesson to learn here is that it makes a lot of sense to use the breaks for going to the toilet.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto zu 2022-01-30 20-09-30.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto zu 2022-01-30 20-09-30.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 37
wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
My advice when when your bladder hurts next time in a a MTT: switch the tourney to your mobile phone PS App, sit down on your toilet, relax and find the right decision :)

being placed at #4 before this hand than I never would go all in with 88 postflop. Just call, and if villain rises, fold.

I know it hurts, I finished several times at #37 of 36 paid in CC freerolls,

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate being the Bubble ...dude.... (boy)

Wow what a RE CAP.

Let's summarize:

The moral of this story is. Be patient and you might win the whole thing. We've all hit 1st before, it's rare and keeps me coming back for more everyday!

We love cardschat - > Nice re-cap of being in the 'hated' bubble ( the worst feeling in poker!).

Thank for listening!

..bluff..

:cool:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With less than 10BB effective I think, its a significant mistake to do anything other than push or fold or maybe consider a SB limp, if BB is passive. It seems like, you min-raised from SB, and this is by far the worst of any option, because a good player will never fold getting around 4:1 and position. So all, you are doing, is bloating the pot, when you are out of position with 9 high, and if he jam on you, you are losing twice as much, as you had to. Normally 98s would be a fine push blind vs. blind, but give that you would be pushing into the chip leader, and it was the actual bubble, I would probably just fold here and expect to be in the money, before the blinds came around again.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Here's how it went down:

There were 16 players left with 15 being paid, I was 4th I believe at that time and there was absolutely no reason to do this…..

I had to pee, desperately. So I rushed to the toilet and did what I had to do, but already heard the sound in the background that my hand will be folded in a few seconds. I went back as fast as I could and saw my hand: 8 and 9, both in cross, my position was 2nd after the big blind.

Something in the back of my head told me it was a bad idea and without detour on the toilet, I probably wouldn‘t have done it. Here‘s what I thought:

- Do a simple bet of one BB, that‘ll indicate them your intention and it won‘t kill you if someone challenges you
- The chip stacks on my table were relatively even (1st: ~15k chips, last: ~8k chips; Mine: ~12k chips) and given the painfully high BB of 1,600$ plus 150$ ante (I hate it when the blinds go up every 5 minutes!) even with my stack I would have been gone with no win soon enough
- I knew that with every hand the risk of permanent all-ins would rise and with that the luck aspect while chip stacks won‘t count
- Everyone was afraid to become the bubble boy, which is a chance to gain against the general risk aversion

Within one or two seconds, my decision was made and I went into the pot with one BB.

Everyone folded, just as I had anticipated… the exception being the guy on the BB who had like 3000$ more than me. He called and at that point, I should have realized what he had in mind. Because no matter what, he wouldn‘t finish the tournament with this hand. He‘d still have two BB left and could go on for an entire round until the next BB reaches him.

For me though, if I lose it: Nada, Null, Nothing. Obviously, I didn‘t care for such game theoretic details. I guess, my at that momenta already empty bladder was still messing with my attention and so I didn‘t see his stack, but only what was smiling at me in the flop:

- 8 heart
- 5 diamond
- 2 spade

YEAH, that‘s mine!

If that thought ever pops up in your mind, you immediately have to fold!

Still, I didn‘t care. All that counted for me was that top pair that I hit, while he certainly won‘t give in to the insanity of the risk this hand was loaded with, especially since the only reason for his call was that it was cheap. I‘m not sure what exactly I thought in that moment, but it must have been something deranged like that.

Hoping he didn‘t have QQ or something higher and that he‘d be sensible enough to let go of the idea of going all-in with something weaker, I moved all my chips into the pot.

He didn‘t need more time than I did with his decision and called me with pocket tens.

Oh, crap!

Then came...

- Turn: 4 cross
- Rriver: Ten cross

And that was it, I was out.

The German tournaments bubble depp thrown out with not only pockets, but triplets...

Question is: Would you have done it?

a) my insane bet
b) his insane call

PS: The lesson to learn here is that it makes a lot of sense to use the breaks for going to the toilet.

Thank you for posting

It is good that you are sharing so that you might grow and learn with us so well done 👍🏼

By working on our mindset and skills off table it will help us make better in game under pressure decisions
I want to share several points were some study by you may be helpful.

1 A positive poker mindset requires us to maintain a rational not emotional perspective of the game. Several sentences you shared indicated that you were allowing the emotions of the situation to intrude on your thinking and the act of going pee broke your focus and you responded with an emotional not rational strategy

Having strategies in place to refocus yourself is the skill that will help you here. We want to create a check list or have a mantra to do this. Yes I am suggesting a mantra for when we have to pee and then rush back to the tables.

2 If you look at hand charts for this situation off table it will make it easier in spots like this to know to fold. Drill the right action into your mind before you get there and even under pressure you will make the right choice.

3 Not only was this a bubble spot but it was also the highest ICM spot for you. Often players think ICM has to do with FT play and trying to get top 3 spots but that is not true all the time.
Studying ICM off table will also keep you focused on the most profitable action in game.

Finally
Creating a Bubble check list is a great way to help refocus when we begin to feel the stress of Bubble situations. If we can remember to look at it before acting

A simple example of a check list

GTO Range
ICM Range

Those 2 simple reminders would have had you fold in this spot.

Hope this helps
:):)

Ssssssnakes

Ssssssnakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By working on our mindset and skills off table it will help us make better in game under pressure decisions
I want to share several points were some study by you may be helpful.

Having strategies in place to refocus yourself is the skill that will help you here. We want to create a check list or have a mantra to do this. Yes I am suggesting a mantra for when we have to pee and then rush back to the tables.

2 If you look at hand charts for this situation off table it will make it easier in spots like this to know to fold. Drill the right action into your mind before you get there and even under pressure you will make the right choice.

A simple example of a check list

GTO Range
ICM Range

Hope this helps

Thanks, this acually did help. Poker is so much more than your hand plus the table configuration plus the strategic considerations of the game played. It's kind of awesome if you ignore the emotional (and financial?) suffering as it means there is so much to learn and improve.

Next up for me: A potty plan:)

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, this acually did help. Poker is so much more than your hand plus the table configuration plus the strategic considerations of the game played. It's kind of awesome if you ignore the emotional (and financial?) suffering as it means there is so much to learn and improve.

Next up for me: A potty plan:)

Thank you for responding

It is human to have emotional reactions but for our poker mindset we are not ignoring those emotions but instead are super focused on the actions in game that increase our financial results thus making us happier.

It is fine to think wow I am on the bubble i can win x $ that would be great. Or ahhhhh I do not want to bubble.
Or as in this case ohhh no I am peeing I will miss a hand.

We then want to have a mantra or a check list so that we have to refocus on the actions that have the best outcome for us in game and we do that by knowing about hand ranges using GTO and ICM as our baseline because we spent hours learning them off table.

This allows us to feel but not act on our feelings.

Hope this helps

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heyho!
First of all GG! I know the feeling all too well of becoming the bubble boy and do feel with you! I have played only 4 Tournaments from CardsChat for the german community so far but i'd like to share my experience with you and maybe give you a few tips to the situation and your hand if you don't mind!

Playing at the money bubble is the most exciting and thrilling experience in my opinion and it takes a lot of skill and patience to realize what play would be the best choice in every situation. Most players get super tight and nitty when the bubble bursts - so if you are covering them it is the perfect time to bully them and just steal their blinds - but for that to work you must be sure that they do know about ICM and don't just call you in certain situations that would be a call normally but a huge mistake in ICM situations.

Your text was fun too read and i hope you don't mind me getting into a few details! Talking about positions (2 after big blind) made me smile a little bit, because i get the feeling that you are a genuinly new player. Âs far as i am concerned i think you were playing at an 8-max table at that moment meaning the positions would be called: SB (smallblind) BB (big blind) UTG+1 (under the gun +1) MP1 (middle position 1) MP2 (middle position 2) HJ (high jack) CO (cut-off) and BU (button). Correct me if i'm wrong but i assume that you were in MP1?

Anyway let's talk about your hand now!
I totally know that feeling when you have to pee - as others told you before having the option of switching to mobile in these circumstances can be very useful - so maybe get the mobile app for the next tourney! It can really help especially if you tend to have digestive problems under stress :D

I am not sure what you meant with "do a simple bet of 1bb" but i assume you mean that you raised to 2 bb. Now here's the thing. If your stack is below 15BB it usually will be played as a push or fold situation - so either all-in or fold. There's a few exceptions where you can adjust but normally i wouldn't recommend getting too much into detail for these situations, play it simple. Especially at the bubble. You don't want to give shortstacks the oppertunity to look at a flop cheaply. Most of the times you'd be happy to just pick up the blinds and antes.
And as you said everyone was kind of short - and you were afraid of blinding to death (loosing all chips going through the blinds). Well if you approach the bubble i'd recommend that you open the 2nd table and have a look - who is the shortest stacks how many orbits will it take for him to blind out - and just fold. It's kinda similar to how satellite tourneys are played - give other players the time to make mistakes and bust before you 10 big blind can still last long enough at the bubble - since it will be played hand for hand anyway. I can assure you that the chances of getting ITM with your position (4/16 with 15 ITM) would be around 90-95% if you just kept folding every single hand. I know it sounds that silly but sometimes that's how you have to play. As long as there are stacks and players in positions that would bust before you or have to all-in before you would be forced all-in there is nothing to worry about. And if you have a way bigger stack then everyone else - then it is your time to shine - be aggressive push all-in with litterally any2 cards and make your opponents cry in desperation cause they have to fold super strong hands cause calling them at the bubble would be a mistake.

Anyway as i am reading your text more i still can't figure out if you limped (just called preflop) or minraised - and i was even railing the tourney on my stream :rolleyes:

"Everyone folded, just as I had anticipated… the exception being the guy on the BB who had like 3000$ more than me. He called and at that point, I should have realized what he had in mind. Because no matter what, he wouldn‘t finish the tournament with this hand. He‘d still have two BB left and could go on for an entire round until the next BB reaches him."

About that column: Here's the fun thing with your stack of 10 big blind you are afraid that you are going to bust soon - but you don't think that others wouldn't be afraid of busting if they have 2 bb left. And it looks like you put a burden on yourself that isn't reasonable to the situation. Also in most cases i wouldn't even dare to assume what other people think and just keep on my game.

So let's keep things straight: I wouldn't have played 98s in that position with that stack. Because:
1. Never limp (just call preflop)
2. With 10bb i would just have all-in or fold
3. 98s is too bad to push all-in at the bubble with my stack :D

Well here's where the fun starts. You managed to see a flop (which in itself is a miracle considering your opponent had a hand that with him covering you he must push all-in at the bubble).

"Hoping he didn‘t have QQ or something higher and that he‘d be sensible enough to let go of the idea of going all-in with something weaker, I moved all my chips into the pot."

As i explained i would NEVER give my opponent any pocket pair stronger then 77 in that situation if he just calls me preflop. Yes there is going to be that 1 new players that wants to trap with pocketpairs but if you think about the fact that there's a 50% chance of a flop having a card higher then a queen you start to realize why most of the pocket pairs want to be all-in preflop.
Anyway back to your thoughtprocess and here's the big mistake you made.
If you minraised and BB defended playing 8 max, it would mean that SB put 0.5BB you and the bb put 4,5 BB and antes should be around 0.72BB ... so there's a total of 5.22 BB in the pot with you having 8 BB behind in stack.
You decided to go all-in what in pokerterms would be called an overbet. But what would be the reason to do so? For me it wouldn't indicate strenght - but more like weakness that you have a very vulnerable hand. So no aces no kinds no queens - pretty much exactly the hand you tell us you have - a small pair. Cause if you have an overpair you want to make sure that you get called and don't try to get everyone out of the pot.
So whenever you get into these situations where you think (that you have to fold) that it is your flop - ask your self how would you approach the flop with an overpair. Think about hand that you want your opponent to have that are worse then yours but still can call the bet. And think about hands that are better then yours and would only call too.
Try to balance it and don't overbet in most spots.

Well in the end i am amazed that TT didn't rejam preflop so unfortunate in that situations. I hope that my text helped you a little bit. There's a lot of details that you have to keep in mind to make the best play in ICM situations but if you want to learn more about it i'll gladly help - and maybe you want to just see me play (and most likely bust) the next weekly tourney as well as i'm live streaming every single german CC freeroll atm! :)

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
As someone mentioned above..quickly switch to the app on your phone..then enjoy your pee to the fullest without having to run!
i somehow can understand the situation...