Isolating with 99 on the button?

K

KielBasaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guy,
I was playing a tournament yesterday and the guy in the highjack shoved his 10 BB stack. I was on the button w 99 and 82 BB. I decided to isolate the small stack so I shoved. Also should be noted that the big blind was sitting out at the time so I only needed to get through the small blind, who had about 65 BB. End up getting slow roled with pocket Kings and lose most of my stack. How would you guys have played this hand differently?

L

LoveNelly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends.. if I was in the money i would made a little rise to see how the other players would react. If I had been re-raised I would probably call to see the flop,if the flop would look great for my hand i would continued with raised,in the oppsite case i would fold

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such big stacks behind we want to iso not iso ai as we aren’t closing the action. And we can get away when sb shoves over us.

Just shoving 65bb eff (10bb stack is irrelevant) with 99 isn’t optimal.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such big stacks behind we want to iso not iso ai as we aren’t closing the action. And we can get away when sb shoves over us.

Just shoving 65bb eff (10bb stack is irrelevant) with 99 isn’t optimal.

WHAT???

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iso not iso ai??? I don't get it, is it miswritten?

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iso = isolation (raising an open limp)
ai = all in

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thx, now it makes sense. BTW, I would have risen to 20 BB to show SB I have something nice . Guess that what you meant, isn't it?

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah a decent sized raise atleast 2x the all in stack with the intention of folding to a shove from sb/bb

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played right. The cards just did something funky. Even if you just raised or even called, the kings are obviously going to go all in. Just one of those bad situations that happen in poker.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you not fold to a sb reshove?

So action is all in, we raise, sb reshoves we fold 99, saving a 40bb stack instead of getting it in with 99 60+bbs?

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99 I love it! I don't think you played wrong.99 is a powerfull pair because generally I win with this hand but not always,sometimes I lose the way you did.

Last edited:
W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could just call with the intention of folding if sb shoves. 99 just doesn't do well ai against likely ranges.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
82BB are many chips to risk with 99, especially if the BB was with 65BB, I think the best option was to do a re raise to get information from the BB.

K

KielBasaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea this seems like the best play now, in the moment and especially online i tend to make small mistakes like this that end up losing me lots of chips. I am trying to minimize them as much as possible but get tunnel visioned sometimes and draw a blank. I managed to make my way back up after losing this pot and actually was holding the #1 spot in the tournament for a while. I was very happy but ended up loosing almost half my stack when some one check raised me all in and I called with top pair when they flopped a straight. Ended up getting one outted on the river a couple hands later and knocked out before the money. Luckily it was a free roll tournament but its better to learn from the mistakes I guess

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it fine. It is a bit tricky as you are deep, but you only have one other player to worry about. The reason for shoving is to get the sb to fold many of the hands we are flipping against. He really needs a monster to call of his stack in this spot, and those dont come that often.

I personally dont like a raise fold here. The first reason is that a frisky sb can shove a way bigger range than pockett 9s. Thats include broadways and even underpairs. Anonther thing is that putting 20% if your stack in and not see a flop is to mutch in my opinion.

My 2 cents

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 99, even if Im last to act Im not calling 10BB shove!!
what do you imagine you are ahead of? You have no fold equity at all!!
1/8 chance you will hit trips...
yuk...

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 99, even if Im last to act Im not calling 10BB shove!!
what do you imagine you are ahead of? You have no fold equity at all!!
1/8 chance you will hit trips...
yuk...

99 and 10bb all in is definitely a call.

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hmm ... how could you play differently? if we know that the blinds are adequate players with a large stack, then you can raise to about 20-25bb and reset to all in, if aggressive one of them, it's better to limp call and raise to all in. In the first case, we have 57bb and maybe we see a flop. In the second case, we drop to all in and leave 72bb. This is an option

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
So deep I would probably made the call in position, if one of the players to act 3bet I would probably fold.Especially another huge stack like 65bbs.

If I had everyone covered by multiple times their stacks in a critical phase of the tournament then there is the possibility to re jam to scare them. But in general 99 so deep it is not a rejam with so many players behind to act.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guy,
I was playing a tournament yesterday and the guy in the highjack shoved his 10 BB stack. I was on the button w 99 and 82 BB. I decided to isolate the small stack so I shoved. Also should be noted that the big blind was sitting out at the time so I only needed to get through the small blind, who had about 65 BB. End up getting slow roled with pocket Kings and lose most of my stack. How would you guys have played this hand differently?

I can not hate the play but the timing was really bad. When you decide to shove like that, even if you have only the SB behind you, with his stack of around 65BB you are pretty much risking 65BB (in case SB calls) to win 10BB from the short stack. I think it is not, mathematically a good play.
Also, in tournaments, generally there is no much need for isolation shoves with medium pocket pairs from the BU. If you were to just call pre flop, worse hands then 99 will still fold from the SB, many Ax will fold, while all the hands better then 99 would probably re-raise from the SB.
Therefore, 99s are kind of a middle ground between isolating or not, but considering the risk you are taking, it just doesn't pay off imo.