Interesting Final Table decision

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a classic ICM spot and I'm awful with ICM, I just fly by the seat of my pants LOL
Although I do think I have a decent feel for ICM spots

BOL Freeroll
Final Table, 3 left
Blinds 2K/4k/400
Payouts:
1st $23
2nd $17
3rd $10

Stacks:
Button 81K
SB 61K
BB (me) 67K

Preflop:
Button shoves all-in
SB calls all-in
BB (me) with AJo... what should we do here?

I can fold here, but after the hand I'll have 63K and:
(a) if button wins the hand, they will have 147K
(b) if SB wins the hand, they will have 127K, button will have 20K

Or I can call here, and the tournament will essentially be over since 1 player will have a massive chip lead.

What's our play?

I decided to call because I didn't want to be HU with a huge chip deficit
Button has 66
SB has ATo

Flop is 79T rainbow
Turn is 3
River is the glorious 8 (not so glorious if you were SB)
SB was eliminated, Button was left with 10K and I had 192K
I went on to win the tournament after a few more hands

Last edited:
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No real problem with your decision either way you played it. Wouldn't feel out of it if I had to take either stack on HU with 63k & that situation & depending on my reads & notes on the other 2, wouldn't second guess calling no matter the outcome.
Congrats on the win.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No real problem with your decision either way you played it. Wouldn't feel out of it if I had to take either stack on HU with 63k & that situation & depending on my reads & notes on the other 2, wouldn't second guess calling no matter the outcome.
Congrats on the win.

Yeah I was very conflicted about what to do, and of course, BetOnline only gives us about 10 seconds to make up our minds so I had to do it quickly. LOL

I've actually been in a similar spot before, and I made the same decision that time and went on to victory... so that was probably what sealed the deal on my choice to call and make it a 3-way all-in. It won't always work out, and I did catch a lucky river, fully realize it too. I just felt this was my best opportunity rather than having to claw back from a 2-1 or 3-1 chip deficit heads up. Depending upon the outcome, I could have gotten 2nd place even if I didn't win the hand since I had a slight chiplead over the SB. I did have 7 outs on the river, so it wasn't miraculous but def some good fortune at the right moment!

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Congrats on the win, Alizona. I agree with your call.

Im calling with AJ because you know my range is too wide and you just saw SB called my all in with T8s for his tournament life.

pegasus888

pegasus888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More time

I like your decision, I just think in those specifics situations the websites should give more time to players to make a decision.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are at the final table, it is quite complicated since there are very few players left and once the cards come out, all the players have the same probability of winning.:D

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on the win...

Good play by button applying ICM pressure and good call on your part as 3 way AJo is a good hand to flip, it's either go for 1st on any opportunity or settle for 3rd.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I swear I had similar situation yesterday with 5 players remaining. I folded AJo.

The other 2 players had ATs and 77. There was an Ace on the flop. I would have won the hand and become massive chip leader.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on the win, Alizona. I agree with your call.

Im calling with AJ because you know my range is too wide and you just saw SB called my all in with T8s for his tournament life.

Thanks - as always, you played very well indeed, and unfortunately you ran rather poorly at the final table (to say the least).

For those who weren't there to watch, this player had a massive chip lead at the FT which quite often means a straightforward win... but on this night, it just didn't work out, took some unlucky beats and all of a sudden all three of the players left had similar size chip stacks.

You certainly lived up to your username, you were quite aggro from my observation, but of course that's a compliment when it comes to playing good poker. Better luck today my friend!!

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nice decision, with a short hand and mainly in a final table you cannot play so tight. but I would fold because I usually get bad with AJo

ObiwanJ

ObiwanJ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you weighed up the situation correctly and if I was lucky enough to reach the final table and encountered this scenario I would have done the same. You might have been waiting much longer for a better hand & AJo strong enough hand and given the stacks, makes sense.