Initial phase of MTT tournaments

J

Jdperaza

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
have been looking at the strategy and it basically says to play very tight in the first phase of the tournament, however I do not entirely agree.

It would not be better to play a little looser in the early stages, because if you get it cheap and the blind is still really small, then you call and see the flop.

In many occasions you simply fold, but there will be some that you will catch double pairs or trio on the flop, or even straight, where you can easily double or triple your stack. By that I mean, that more than playing ultra tight, sometimes you have to see more flops, because I think you have many more implicit odds of hitting a monster hand at a very low price, and starting with 3 times the stack is half a tournament. On the other hand, if you save those few blinds, in an intermediate phase they will not be of much use to you, everything you save with "speculative hands" you will discard in a pair of hands or even just 1, leaving you completely lucky, for example they give you QQ You raise in preflop and you have already played 1/3 of your stack and the flop comes 1 Ace, bitch. And if the Ace doesn't come out, very well,

I don't know, I'm still wrong, what do you think 🤔🤔🤔🔥🔥🔥

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jdperaza,

I agree with you. I also read that in beginning Phase, you should be playing tight. However, I experienced that a lot of Players are playing tight, especially in the beginnings - thats the spot where you can potentially scare People away with a min-raise on medium strong hands!

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you as well. Aside from being able to see the flop cheap early on in a tournament, especially one with a small buy-in or a freeroll, best to play very tight initially and being ok to lay down above average hands pre or post-flop. Especially because you may not know how loose or tight opponents are with the buy-in, there likely are a lot of people willing to shove or play big with less and may lead to more suck outs at the end.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the type of MTT and the players at your table. Almost all the freerolls and a good many micro tournaments you have to many people going all in right from the get go, especially in the turbo type tournaments. In most cases they have junk but enough to beat your mid pairs a good % of the time. It makes no sense to be raising or calling knowing that there are people left to act after you who are likely to go all in unless you have a premium hand. In these situations playing tight early is the way to go.

Best of luck.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
have been looking at the strategy and it basically says to play very tight in the first phase of the tournament, however I do not entirely agree.

It would not be better to play a little looser in the early stages, because if you get it cheap and the blind is still really small, then you call and see the flop.

In many occasions you simply fold, but there will be some that you will catch double pairs or trio on the flop, or even straight, where you can easily double or triple your stack. By that I mean, that more than playing ultra tight, sometimes you have to see more flops, because I think you have many more implicit odds of hitting a monster hand at a very low price, and starting with 3 times the stack is half a tournament. On the other hand, if you save those few blinds, in an intermediate phase they will not be of much use to you, everything you save with "speculative hands" you will discard in a pair of hands or even just 1, leaving you completely lucky, for example they give you QQ You raise in preflop and you have already played 1/3 of your stack and the flop comes 1 Ace, bitch. And if the Ace doesn't come out, very well,

I don't know, I'm still wrong, what do you think 🤔🤔🤔🔥🔥🔥

Yes, yes ... I agree ... play tighter in the beginning until you know a little about what the table is like and increase your stack whenever possible, calling when you are very strong