Initial phase: give up or increase?

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The good player's primer says that in the early stages of SnG we should only raise with hands like JJ + or AJo +, but when the table folds at the beginning of the tournament I would like to know if you find it profitable to raise from the button or the SB even with Bad hands? Or should we simply give up a walk whenever we are in this situation with marginal hands?

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every decision it poker can be the right call or the worst call. It all depends on the opponent, position, table image, etc. If you find that a bet is exploiting them you should most definitely raise.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When everybody is folding, go ahead and steal the blinds, but be prepared to fold at any reraise. Might get expensive.
Until there are 5 players left, I only shove in AA and KK, the rest is folded and your mentioned hand range comes in play with 5 ppl left.

3 ppl left and every hand is a raise, no worth to wait for 2nd place:fight:

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of the nature of SnG's you can be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Unlike lengthier MTT's, you don't have enough time to gather enough info on your two opponents to your left to know if opening on the button or SB will be profitable.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely be play lesser hands than these from late position.

I think starting hand ranges should vary, not be set in stone.