Information bets

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's many reasons to bet - for value, as a bluff, semi-bluffs, blocker etc. Do you bet to extract information? In what situations is this useful? I think this move used to be more popular than it is now. Thanks! (I posted this under tourneys because that's all I play and I'm not sure if it is applicable to cash.)

MetaDon7577

MetaDon7577

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the board is small, and a few players in the game, I often bet. Sometimes I have to fold if the opponent checks and raises. Much depends on my place! Try not to lose much in difficult situations!

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Important to get information

It is important to get information as cheaply as possible anyone overdoing the information bet is going to be a losing player in the long run. You always want to gain information by having position and not by throwing chips into the middle. However there are situations where it is advantageous to attempt to withdraw information from a player out of position by betting.

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop raises with good hands can give you the information you need in the hand. You can get a tell by how much you bet and how long it takes for someone to call. Less people that call most likely it will be a higher flop of cards. The more people that call means the higher chance of the board being rags. Sometimes bets preflop and on the flop can tell you alot of where you are at in a hand. If you get a quick call preflop and on the flop it is most likely that the player is drawing something. Pay close attention to chip stacks and how long it takes for them to call and even check. A quick check can tell you alot too like that they missed the flop completely. I recommend playing the high percentage hands only in mutlis unless your stack is huge.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Betting for info is a useful tool. I think it is actually used more in cash games than tourneys. I play both cash and tourney. I do not use it in tourney to much since retaining your chips is a priority. But in cash games I use it cause I can always top off if I make a mistake.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I consider it a fairly used practice, but it will depend on your position and really while less money you put on the table better ...!

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, betting to extract information is usually an error. That approach is deceptive because it implies that your opponent will always be honest about his hand. You should only want to bet for two reasons: for value so that we pay worse hands and bluff to throw better hands

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's many reasons to bet - for value, as a bluff, semi-bluffs, blocker etc. Do you bet to extract information? In what situations is this useful? I think this move used to be more popular than it is now. Thanks! (I posted this under tourneys because that's all I play and I'm not sure if it is applicable to cash.)
These bets are only useful vs weak players.

The downside with these bets, is to a skilled opponent it is clear what you have.

That being said, even in what I play I get to use these bets regularly. Just verrrrry carefully!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes use a bet to get information - usually on a flop or turn with the middle hand. Sometimes such bets help to make a decision about the fold.

Last edited:
xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i have a hand where i have a high pair and everybody checks the river i will place a minimum info bet to see if anybody is lying unless the BB is too large then i just check it down also.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how much information you can extract. Nowadays, most of the bets are geared towards betting for value or bluffing. If they hold something strong, you will hear from them. If you are playing micro, play ABC and don’t get fancy because it backfires lol

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips

I don't understand the question , sorry. What do you mean by writing ''extract information?''
Is the situation where the pot is 1000 and you bet a mere amount of chips like 50-100?

Can you give an example?

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

To clarify the situation with the opponent's cards, you can use the bet. If, in response to your bet, the player misses the turn, he is likely to have a weak hand. If he answers the bet (declares a raise or a call), this can be a signal that strong cards are in the hands of your opponent.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Zwbb, thanks for your reply. That makes a lot of sense. So I guess the information bet is only worth while on the turn, not after the flop, as after the flop so many people c-bet when they miss, to call that an information bet doesn't really make sense. People bet and call the bet with nothing often anyway after the flop so it doesn't really give you any information.