Implied odds

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thought it might be interesting to hear from others as to when implied odds work best and when they don't. Sometimes you might want to call a bet that you are not getting the right odds for because if you hit your hand you will probably get paid off handsomely (you are getting good implied odds). What are the most important factors when considering this? Thanks!

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Opinion

You want to remember witch cards have flopped on the table. If kings have just flopped on the table its a good idea kings not coming.

Also it is not good to bet when you just won a hand. The probability of hitting two hands in a row is about one in 58. You want to wait five hands before betting again after a win.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Implied odds are tricky and you can never be sure you will get paid off. Lets say you have an open end straight draw on a 256 rainbow flop and you have 78. You know you have 8 outs or about 34% to hit by the river and he bets pot. he is giving you 2-1 on the flop call and the odds are about OK for you if you don't pay more by the river but if you think he will be then you are not getting the odds to call. Now you have to ask if you have implied odds. You have to ask your self if I hit say the 4 and he checks will he call a bet. You have to look at this flop and ask if he hit the flop or does he have an over pair or was he just cbeting the flop with say AK? If he was a tight raiser he probably missed this flop so he either has the over pair or he cbet a missed hand. You know if he missed he probably wont bet any more and you have the odds to call since he will most likely won't continue betting unless he hits. If he has a over pair he will most likely bet the turn and call your bet if you hit. Here you have implied odds and its a good thing. You have to then ask if he would see the draw as a possibility and would he call if you hit. If could look obvious to him and he may not pay you off if you hit loosing the implied odds. As you can see it can get complicated. Hope this helps and good luck.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You also need to be aware of his stack size. Say it started as a multiway pot and is now at $20,000. If he only has $10,000 left then that is all the extra you will be able to win from him and you may not be getting the right odds then.

drbottlecap10

drbottlecap10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am recently trying to learn to ignore implied odds when I am low stacked. It is just not worth it to call from the small or big for a good price when it is going to take 10% of my stack.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have implied odds, the main thing you should care about is what your opponent is. You have to know that if you complete your draw or whatever you will ghet paid. Yep it's all mostly depend on your opp. If he/she will not pay you any other thing does not matter.
For example if you call an open-raise with 33 you really need to know your opp will give you the whole stack with his TP or Over pair. I mean cash games. If he won't no thing else matters cause you won't get the money. In tourneys, there's some difference but not that much, the main factor to imp odds is still your opponent.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator