Idea behind limping or limp reraising preminum hands?

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I see this a lot at the lower stakes, and a ton in the CC freerolls. A player will limp AA or KK and when they get iso raised by a later position they will min click it back ( min 3bet) that player, or their limp will be called by 2 , 3 or more limpers and they will be out flopped by 93o when they hit 2 pair and they never ever fold AA or KK even to aggression.

My question is why do some players find it enticing to limp premium hands? When someone that limps a ton, limps and hand and I raise them and they turn around a min 3bet me, the very FIRST thing in my mind is QQ, KK AA or AKs. So I play the hand with that in mind. If I was iso raising lite, ill just fold to the 3bet, and when I just check in the blinds with some junk hand and flop 2pair or better, I almost always get their entire stack.

it's a ton more +EV to raise your good hands, just do not understand the thought behind the limp reraise I guess.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly feel it’s proper to limp in front of players that like to iso raise, but I don’t understand ever min reraising. I feel like that part of your description is counterproductive.

If I am limping w AA or KK, I am doing it to take chunks of chips from players a couple different ways:

1) By disguising the strength of my hand against weak opponents I may want to try for all of a stack post flop w a hand that is pretty straightforward to play. This is dangerous, and therefore something I’m not wanting to do in tourneys much. But min raising would take that power away from me, so why do that?

2) to punish an aggressive late position player by popping them preflop. But I want them to pay for their aggressiveness, so I’m reraising significantly, especially from OOP. I also hardly try this because I find its way easier to be threebet when I raise anyway. It would have to be vs a late position player I’ve read as an iso raiser.

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never limp AA or KK because you get called with 56 or something his get straithg or 2 pairs and i can,t fold AA or KK i limp this hand if i see aggresive table only

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
making limping and calling with hands AA-KK you do not get much in profit

igorsad

igorsad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely should make a notes on players who limps premium hands, but players who limp-reraise some trash hands or some low pocket pairs/ high connectors like JQ, KQ is weak players or fishes, you also could make notes on them but if you use some tracking software like PokerTracker or Holdem Manager you should look on PFR and call open stats. Usually players who make limp-reraise with trash hands have big difference between VPIP and PFR (for example 25/2, 33/6 etc) and sometimes some donks or mouses or agromonkeys/maniacs do that. Play like always, just remember that you should`nt invest a lot of money in bank if you`re not sure that your hand is better.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the limp move at extreme aggressive tables where there are often 3 bets going on all the time preflop no matter what. Otherwise a passive table or medium of the road table I feel better to raise initially.

If you have a small stack then limp move is definitely a no no.

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard to limp prem hands on line cause no one knows how to fold on line i would just min raise check if you miss the flop get out

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Yeah, I see a lot of weak players at CC freerolls who like to limp Aces, especially from early position. It is a bad play for many reasons, but the main problem is that CC freeroll players are very passive and it is very likely that nobody will raise, and limper with Aces will end up playing out of position vs 4-5 other limpers.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands