Did I play wrong?

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10Ao and in an early position pre flop and raising? I would of limped in just to see the flop. How has the Villian been playing? Is he loose or tight? Is he only playing big hands?

On the flop however, you do have top pair so I would of been hesitating to fold at that point myself (considering the player's actions previously) I most certainly wouldn't of pushed due to the 10 you had and simply due to the outs left. My opinion and I ain't even at a good standard of poker yet (I've only started to study a couple of weeks ago lol) it was a bad pre flop raise and a bad move on the flop for you to shove all in, on the pre flop he called you're raised, then on the flop you ended up checking giving him the edge to raise, after this raise I personally would of thought to myself he has this A but what about the kicker? Does he have AK, AQ, AJ? Once again this all down to previous hands and how he has been playing.

I hoped my opinion counted for something mate.

never limp its the best lesson that I learned. Stop limp, limp behind is totally different of start the limp. Fold ATo ? maybe it depends on the villain on the blinds status, is he TAG or LAG?

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely agree, I'm glad I came here to ask about the hand because all of the analysis are great and helped me understand what I've been doing wrong, overvaluing a top pair is a common mistake.

Quick follow-up question: If I had AQo, what would you guys do from the beginning of the hand?

I'd make a modest raise pre-flop and when I hit the ace on the flop I'd raise again. If I get called I'm probably checking on the turn because I don't want the hand to get too expensive with 1 pair. If I get raised on the flop I fold.