Did I Play This Right?

J

jn137

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament, It's toward the end of the night, I am only a few spots out from a paying position and blinds are getting big! I'm holding AT in the CO, everybody limps in before me and I raise to 4x BB. I get two callers. Flop comes - 773

First action (Player 1 - Has roughly 10x BB left in his stack) shoves all in. My thought here is that the 773 couldn't have helped him all that much. He called my raise and with his stack size, he's not going to be calling raises with small connectors or even small pairs I would assume.. but if he was sitting on something like AA he would have likely re-raised me pre-flop. Maybe he has KQ or even QJ? I'm thinking I might be able to call here, his stack is about 1/5 of mine so I have him easily covered. Also, this player has shoved once before earlier in the night and it was in a super weird spot. I'm liking my odds against him here.

Next player (Player 2, acts before me) then also shoves all in. So now I'm thinking okay this is a no brainer fold at this point if he is going to call / shove all in as well, so I fold. Both players are now all in.

Turn comes - 10
River come - A

Player 1 flips over QJ, player 2 flips over JT and I want to puke. Would've taken both players out and added a huge chunk to my stack. Easily enough to cruise into a paying spot for the night.

Was my thought process correct here? Obviously we now know after the fact I would have won, had I called.. but was this the right move? What about if Player 2 didn't call? Where could I have improved this play?

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You have 50BB. First player has 10BB. Second player has...?

You are pretty safe to call this here, whether or not player 2 is in there, as you have two overcards and one is an ace. You played conservatively.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much information is missing. Is the flop rainbow or is there a flushdraw? How many bb does the second player have? That data is key. The one with 10bb is committed since he called your x4 raise, so you have to pay his shove yes or yes since you would have called it anyway if it was preflop. But if the 2nd player has a much bigger stack you have to fold. Think about this: Player 2 is calling the shove with one player still behind (you). Most of the time his hand is going to be good. So you don't have to be a resultist. It's okay to fold that spot.
On the other hand, what is the point of opening x4? Do you open all your hands for the same size? If you open only a few hands then you have a clear sizing tell. If you open all hands x4, well, you're investing too much in weak hands.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it absolutely right. You made a good bet on the preflop. The flop is good for you. Of course, playing a call against an opponent who has a very small pot against you is the right thing to do, in this situation, do not hesitate.

But whether it is necessary to play all in without having anything on the flop in this situation, I think not. You made the right fold in this situation, because the opponent can easily show a pair or A with the kicker higher. In a situation where the money is close, risking all-in when you have nothing on the flop is not the best solution. If you lost, you would ask yourself the logical question, why did I call without having anything?)) The opponent showed a bluff and it is better to throw out and stay in the game than not to believe and fly out...

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have guessed one of the players may have had an overpair - or even just any pair - not a 7, so I would have called here too with your stack.
Not faulting your fold though sometimes we will make this loose call and be crushed, but I'm pretty sure you had enough equity to call.

This can be run in equilab - a free software you can download, but it does not take ICM into consideration. For that you can try ICMizer - although I'm skeptical of it's accuracy.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you're being too hard on yourself here, and too results oriented. Based on what you were saying here, it sounds like you have 50 big blinds, so I'm probably folding here instead of committing 4 big blinds, though that play, if you know your opponents' tendencies, is fine too.

Remember, you could have had someone short stack, limping in with QQ+, hoping to induce action behind them as well. Seems that open-limping has become the new raise based on how I've seen people play.

The other thing you could have done as well, is shove, though you didn't say how big Player 2's stack was. This definitely is a super weird spot, at least in my opinion, I'd be interested in what the professionals that are on this forum think.