Did I play this right ?

T

Tk_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing in our monthly at Daytona. I have about a 24k stack, blinds 600, 1200.. 22 BBs. I'm the chip leader at my table and the average stack is 14k. I'm on the button, raise 2600 with KcQd , get called by the UTG. Flop comes 7,10,j clubs. I raise 3k get reraised 6k. Make the call. Turn is 3h, get raised all in..(14,400) I have straight and flush draws, and I make the call and miss both straight and flush. Lady wins with a 10 and no clubs. This left me with 100 chips and I went out next hand. Pot odds when she shoved were 2.6-1 (37,800-14'500)

Did I play this wrong ??

I had just moved to this table about 15min prior and had only been in 1 had with the villian... and she folded that hand to my preflop raise. So I didn't really have any info on this person.

I intended to raise 3600 before the flop and did not announce a raise amount and miss counted chips so that's why I only had 2600. I guess maybe I should have jammed on the flop when she reraised me ?? I was afraid that she had flush on the flop but figured with a Kc and straight draw I was in a good situation and my read was that she didn't make the flush. If my math is correct I was a 60% favorite to win.

Help me learn from this. Up until this point I was doing pretty good catching cards and went from 3600 up to about 26000. I was catching AA, JJ, AKo, AKs and winning every time. I had knocked about 4-5 people out.

Last edited:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My decision would have been not to call the all-in with only the river remaining because the likelihood of drawing out is a very low percentage, thus losing a big chunk of your stack. I know its hard to fold when committing a fraction of your stack however to win a tournament you have to be discipline and sometimes swallow your losses and fold so that you don't get ousted from the tournament.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have very strict standards when it comes to following draws. Long story short, I don't follow draws if someone is all in. Like Matt Damon said in Rounders, I'm not goint to draw against a made hand. You had nothing more than a king high, queen kicker. The hand should've had ended when the villan went all in, like you said, you had no information on him/her.

This strategy has save me TONS of money, and has also prevent me from winning money. But it has save me money in the long run.

T

Tk_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My decision would have been not to call the all-in with only the river remaining because the likelihood of drawing out is a very low percentage, thus losing a big chunk of your stack. I know its hard to fold when committing a fraction of your stack however to win a tournament you have to be discipline and sometimes swallow your losses and fold so that you don't get ousted from the tournament.

I still had a 30% draw on the river and a positive EV.. that being said sometimes it's better to live and fight another day.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's right you live to fight another day. Now from that you have learned something, now you can play it differently the next time you have that. Could fold also if you want.

I think I would have folded but wasn't in that position.

T

Tk_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Can someone who is knowledgeable with Game Theory Opitimal, analyze this and tell me what the GTO play was ? Thanks.