Are Hyper-turbo tournaments a test of luck for you?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The structure of hyper-turbo tournaments does not allow much time for making decisions during the hand. The growth of the blinds is very high. Even if you have your own range for pushing hands, it all comes down to about the same odds on the preflop. But at the same time, you must constantly increase the stack. Are hyper-turbo tournaments a test of luck for you?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many pros say that hyper turbo, super hyper turbo tournaments are coin flips. And only with an increase in the number of such tournaments can you get at least some profit.

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. Because the variance is higher you need better BRM

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The structure of hyper-turbo tournaments does not allow much time for making decisions during the hand. The growth of the blinds is very high. Even if you have your own range for pushing hands, it all comes down to about the same odds on the preflop. But at the same time, you must constantly increase the stack. Are hyper-turbo tournaments a test of luck for you?

Position: This is an important factor in all poker games and is even more pronounced in Super / Hyper Turbo games. Your starting hand requirements in early position with the entire table behind you should be much tougher than when you are in a blind versus blind situation. It's not about wanting to play more hands on the button (since there will be very little post-flop here), but simply that fewer opponents give you a better chance of stealing.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Knowing your opponents hand ranges, you can use the ICM calculator to find the optimal push / call strategy based on stack sizes and the number of players behind you. My choice is the SNG Wizard program, it has a 30-day trial period and allows you to find mathematically correct solutions based on stacks, ranges and game situations.[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a much bigger factor in a single hyper turbo tournament compared to normal speed. But given that they're so much quicker you can play many more of them so I think over the long term the speed doesn't have as much impact on luck/variance. For example say if you can play 1,000 hyper turbo tournaments in the same amount of time it would take to play 200 normal tournaments, I think your variance over that time would be similar whichever format you choose to play.

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is quite difficult to play a hyper turbo, I would not call it luck, I would call it insecurity, since it is quite difficult to wait for a good hand, and the probability of winning is low :)

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
A little bit of math, a little bit of strategy, some discipline and loads of luck.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's the ultimate test of luck and a little bit of push-fold knowledge.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never like hyper style tournaments. Its all luck and no skills.

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes as a matter of fact hyper turbo are all luck no skill

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, in fact pure luck but if you have help resources too!

S

sabarr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No it’s not luck at all over a big sample of games. Variance is higher and the luck factor is in full effect in the short run. In fact, I think you get the players with the lowest skill set at these games because they will naturally win 40%+ of their games and feel like winners. Have at it and make some adjustments to your game. Not a luck fest over a big sample and I hope the weaker players continue to come. Side note- good cash game, MTT and SNG reg speed players will not be good in this format right away.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is quite difficult to play a hyper turbo, I would not call it luck, I would call it insecurity, since it is quite difficult to wait for a good hand, and the probability of winning is low :)
You should get better hands than your opponents all the time, because the growth of the blinds is not long in coming. But even getting a dominant hand on the preflop does not guarantee victory. Because you need to double the stack constantly, and even a pocket pair of aces will lose sooner or later.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never play hypers....not my style at all...but i am sure there is a winning strategy to be found long term with a big enough sample.

shove / fold ranges would be very dodgy i think...at the lower end...lots of 30% hands maybe...

i imagine its about getting lucky early on, and then picking on smaller stacks....just guessing though.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always thought the hyper was more for the players who lack patience more than poker skill. I am saying this from my own experience as patience is my downfall in poker and I love hyper because it moves and ends quickly . . . Definitely not a game of skill . . .

Frankqc666

Frankqc666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I finished first out of 171 players in a hyper tournament a few days ago... I feel a little bad reading this because I thought I was good lmao

I admit that in these tournaments you have to be lucky and win several coin flips. But I think it still takes a little talent at the final table to handle it well... but yes you need to be lucky

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course there's a lot of luck involved, at least way more than regular tournaments, but I do like to think that if you play well you can make some money with these tournaments

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not always. Here, too, you need to think about ever going out. But in general, it is difficult to bluff or sit, as the stack will quickly decrease. Yes, probably more luck is needed.

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me is that a Coinflip Tournament :D

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very rarely. It's a good way to relax and win if you're lucky.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say, in this cases, could be 80% luck and 20% skill

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coin Flip

Hyper Turbo is gambling, with a lot of variance.
players will call you loose and jam you more often

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that in such tournaments a lot depends on luck