Hyper tournaments. What is the correct strategy?

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Know your push fold eq and play for long term results and be ready for a lot of variance, hypers are beatable but you can't really tell until you have a huge data base of them.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
strange game, the only winning move is not to play

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strange game, the only winning move is not to play

Not true. There are plenty of players crushing these games they might not be for everyone but they can be very profitable over time.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They can in many cases be more profitable than normal mtts eapecially if you only have a few hours to play..

Like others have mentioned theres plenty you can do to gain an edge. They are just like any other mtt however things happen way more quickly. So you are forced to take on every single situation you come accross and you will face alot more all in shove or fold situations much earlier.

The worst thing you can do in these games is fold too much and try to avoid situations and min cash. In fact doing the opposite with help more because when you have chips to spare you can survive more all ins and thus gives you a better chance overall..

K

Kaosrp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper tournaments for me is a big bingo. You just win with lucky, you just have to push or fold, it's really terrible, I always avoid to play them.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper tournaments for me is a big bingo. You just win with lucky, you just have to push or fold, it's really terrible, I always avoid to play them.

Avoiding them is your choice.. saying things like its bingo poker is just a lack of knowlege on your part. Theres still plenty of skill involved in playing them. Its just a differant form of skill... one that is math and mass multitable orientated. You can play many more of these tournaments which makes up for the lack of edge you have in these games...

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really liked Harrington's concept of M when I started playing but I just read something that said it is not correct especially in fast tourneys where the blinds are going up fast. Harrington tell you to get more aggressive the smaller your M gets. M is your stack size divided by (sum of big blind and small blind and table antes) it tells you how many rounds at the table you can last if you don't bet. But it doesn't consider blinds that are increasing like crazy so I have to adjust for that now and that will lead to having to play even more aggressively earlier especially in fast tourneys.

P

Psykee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly. Trying to see a flop cheaply doesn't work too well in the Hypers.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not true. There are plenty of players crushing these games they might not be for everyone but they can be very profitable over time.

yea I get that, I just like quoting wildly flawed 80's tech movies

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play aggressively in such tournaments. I try to maintain the average stack. It is often the risk at an average hand. It is important to first get a good stack. To further could push the players with smaller stacks. And it does not risk the flight of the tournament. If we manage to get two or three more than the average stack, I often play tight for some time. The entire tournament is necessary to keep the balance between the size of the stack and risk. At the same time you can not play monotonous, so you could not read the opponents. I believe that without a good bluff and luck in such tournaments can not successfully play.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The field is a huge amount of non regs who will have no problem shoving very wide and a few regs who know the game well and are crushing. Expect huge variance so have a bankroll that can cover that regs will have a br of atleast 100x BI. These games are very short and can be very fun and also very fustrating, it's all about getting it in good and winning over a long period not individual games. goodluck :)
Dead on Moe. Since most hypers are small buy-in or ticket, you have to play a lot to try and get that big win. PS 2c hyper pays $4.40 1st place. The name of the game is variance. A bit of smarts, a bit of luck and a lot of patience can sometimes make them worthwhile.

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the hardest thing to play Hyper is to choose the range of hands to play when the tournament achives the level 10 or 12 when the blinds grow very fast and is already high and you are possbly short if you are not in the top of the rank in the MTT and if you choose to play more agressive to avoid that the blinds crash your stack so you need to select the range and spots to play...

My advice should be to keep playing tight in the early positions and more agressive in the last positions and mainly defending your blinds even with medium hands that can become strong after the flop...

Rgds,

polo kwan

polo kwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hyper game. just shoved more with good hands. and rumble to a deep stack then changed to normal way. steal a blind per cycle.

M

maminom

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
avoid..

just avoid them if your bankroll isnt big enought..because u will need a lot of guts to go far in those tournements..playing just tigh wont be enought;a the beginning sure..but at the middle,ull need to call all in with decent hands...

T

TaniaStar

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hyper game. you need to dial a large stack, then as often as possible styles in short

R

roygor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is pretty simple: because its a hyper tourney and its very quick, its all in/fold hands all the time at the beginning.

Later when you have larger stacks you should play more less aggressive.

J

jwlaw35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them cause they go quicker.. take advantage of the looser players and get chips and sit on them tight for the late game.. if I get 10x starting stack ill sit out untill about average stack