Are Huds Even Needed for MTT's

grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have generally always used a HUD - but lately since Ive been playing more tourneys I have been doing considerably better without one. I don't know why exactly but it just feels totally different. I still use them on Cash games because I like to collect data on players im always running into but it just doesn't seem like I need one with MTT's - I actually took first yesterday for the first time in a good while w/o a hud and just the entire feel of the game is different....not sure why, anybody feel the same way? Or have some type of explanation to why not using HUD's in tournaments mite work out better for some than others??

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When more you play, more datas you will have, so if you want to be more profitable you need to play the most number of tournaments you can, is the best way for don't be prejudiced by the variance.

It's gives you some important informations about the players who are constantly play theses tournaments, but against players that no play so many times you need to use only your knowledge, but if you play only few times, you will have few informations.

Based on the fact that a player has certain attitudes due to the events and having to change and adptar according to the variables related to the moment of the game, it can happen that his little information is based only on moments of exception and leave him confused or make you have less profitable attitudes.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There’s a great deal of useful information available when using a HUD. That being said, if your a good player you can continue to thrive without a HUD. Just because you have some information doesn’t mean you know how to utilize it to ones advantage. If your playing many tables HUDs can be very helpful in spotting the table dynamics. I find I try to over analyze the HUDs tools. I sometimes will use one but I find not using one keeps me more focused and encouraging myself to pay the appropriate amount of attention to table details.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUD is by FAR the most important when multi-tabling several tables at once. The reason is that at a certain point your brain cannot track multiple hands running simultaneously, so just being able to make decisions based primarily on HUD stats is useful.

That being said, it becomes a crutch for a LOT of players. They don't think that hard about the action, or what their response should be, or the RECENT HISTORY going on between them and that player or in this specific event. They just see the HUD stats and go from there.

Now one is not inherently better than the other (with or without HUD), and if you don't let it become a crutch for you, you can still make great decisions one-tabling with a HUD while ALSO paying attention to all the action and recent history. But if you feel you are playing better without the HUD, then play without it. However, also don't be results-oriented and just say "oh, I just won a tournament while not using a HUD, I must be the man when I don't use a HUD." Variance is going to play a gigantic role in any short-term results. But if you actually FEEL like you are making better decisions, then by all means continue.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
HUD is by FAR the most important when multi-tabling several tables at once. The reason is that at a certain point your brain cannot track multiple hands running simultaneously, so just being able to make decisions based primarily on HUD stats is useful.

That being said, it becomes a crutch for a LOT of players. They don't think that hard about the action, or what their response should be, or the RECENT HISTORY going on between them and that player or in this specific event. They just see the HUD stats and go from there.

Now one is not inherently better than the other (with or without HUD), and if you don't let it become a crutch for you, you can still make great decisions one-tabling with a HUD while ALSO paying attention to all the action and recent history. But if you feel you are playing better without the HUD, then play without it. However, also don't be results-oriented and just say "oh, I just won a tournament while not using a HUD, I must be the man when I don't use a HUD." Variance is going to play a gigantic role in any short-term results. But if you actually FEEL like you are making better decisions, then by all means continue.

I'm definitely one of these players. I don't use a HUD anymore because I got to the point where I was playing "lazy" poker and purely making decisions based on the HUD info and not the way players had been playing at the time. Needless to say I busted countless times. I lost the HUD and my results improved massively straight away.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have generally always used a HUD - but lately since Ive been playing more tourneys I have been doing considerably better without one. I don't know why exactly but it just feels totally different. I still use them on Cash games because I like to collect data on players im always running into but it just doesn't seem like I need one with MTT's - I actually took first yesterday for the first time in a good while w/o a hud and just the entire feel of the game is different....not sure why, anybody feel the same way? Or have some type of explanation to why not using HUD's in tournaments mite work out better for some than others??
from my expirience,i use HUD when i play 8+ tournaments in same time because you cant watch and thinking in all table like you play 2 tables,when i play 2 tournament i dont use hud only if its a large buy in and good price pool.....

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes.

The question is how many HUD stats are you relying on?

A lot of players use 6-8 stats which is ridiculous. I haven't been using a HUD for long and will probably make changes as I learn the application of various stats but I'm quite content with #hands and VPIP / PFR / 3BET / FCB.

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Copilot is a great one if you're looking for something that's a bit cleaner/easier to use. Love it's leakfinders, bankroll tracking, and auto noting of playstyles. Believe they still run a free trial for 30 days, with them you also don't get an annoying banner or anything in your way like HM or PT4.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have yet to use a HUD, but looking forward to checking them out in the near future...!

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm seeing more & more high stakes regulars are starting to play without a hud.
The reason being there's not enough hands on a specific player to decide what action to take so it can be a kind of mis-information.
So I think taking notes on how they played a hand or react in certain scenarios are a bit more valuable.
I do use a hud but don't pay much attention to them other than the notes. But some stats are a bit invaluable imo like 3bet stats from posiotions
On cash games it's a whole different story

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not use programs and play quite normally...

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also do not use additional programs.
and I'm able to play successfully.
I could not get used to it.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that if you win in poker no more than 1-4 tables, you can do without any software. But if you win more tables, then additional software is just necessary for a good game !!!

E

evenstacknow13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have never used one and i play fine!

grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh I just got poker copilot and so far im loving it - Im still on the trial so I am going through everything trying to figure out everything so I can study my game but so far so good! thanks!!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No whats needed is good solid play and your 70 to 80% all in flip to hold at crucial times:damnmate:
Huds can over complicate things for you or missguide you humans see in tunnel vision less things to be studying eases the pressure on skull maybe thats why it felt different for you.
Good luck in your games:)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not use the HUD now although they say it's bad for any player on the network
this is for MTT.
I'm also easier without it and the game is still more successful.

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I have never used a HUD before. I would think that they would help in tournaments too. The way I look at it is ... I can't use a HUD in live games and tournaments, so I'm not gonna use them online. Take care :cool:

Aristodemus_

Aristodemus_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use any HUD myself, partly because I will only play 1 or 2 tables and partly because I think the best way to improve is to make these decisions without anything other than the scenario at the table to judge. Even if I could get better results using a HUD (I honestly can't be sure), getting better is more important than short term bankroll building.

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh I just got poker copilot and so far im loving it - Im still on the trial so I am going through everything trying to figure out everything so I can study my game but so far so good! thanks!!

Jivaro is another one to give a shot; Price wise it's pretty hard to beat (30 day trial and then $5 a month). I also love how it will switch stats per-street, automatically.

It took a little adjustment from what I'm used to coming from Poker Copilot, and Jivaro doesn't have any auto-labelling via categorization or leakfinders, however.. it's definitely great in it's own way.

S

Soulguard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Huds are important in MTT's espacialy when u play more tournaments at the same time ... u got statistics on players and u can play more efficintly , Hud doesnt makes u win hands but helps u give ranges to opponents which helps sometimes

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Started using HUD recently

I just started using an HUD. I havent got enough stats yet on players, but I have definitely called a few more hands that I normally would have folded because I had just that bit more info on the player and the exact amount of odds. The one I use now was free for a limited time and am trying to find the one that I will purchase.:confused::confused:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you want to have less information? This is kinda like the too many bad player theory, you should want more info, more bad players and more money.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think of HUD as an encyclopedia - food for thought

PokerTracker director Steve McLoughlin doesn't buy into the idea that a HUD is a quick shortcut to becoming a winning poker player. He states: “See it as owning an encyclopedia. Just because you own it, doesn’t mean it’ll make you smarter.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want as much information as I can get. The HUD gives me more information but its not the only thing I use to make decisions. The HUD stats and notes help put villains on better ranges.