how to recognize pocket pair

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya can't tell if they have pocket pairs, usually it's random they get it. You can guess by the way the stakes are raised

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to you all it is nearly impossible to detect pocket pair that have hit three of a kind so it is true that all hands loosed by this situation are just bad luck or bad beat..

V

vova54

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely it will be difficult to recognize . We need the situation itself

U

UgisKalnpurs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you can't know does your opponent have pocket pair or any other cards, all u can do is just to read the game and try to figure out what could it be , just by looking on what he is doing at table and how big betts, he makes.

S

StellarLunatic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Set woes

I know this thread is old, so sorry for the necro. But today I've been trying to find out a better way to put my opponent on a set from a middling pocket pair. Today, playing tournements on bovada (buy-ins ranging from $20-$100) I had 2 pairs, 3 times, that were all beat by a landed set. 2 of those times were by the same guy, back to back. I'm like "Wtf/fml!". Its demoralizing, to raise with KQ suited, flop comes 2 k 7, turn comes Q, river comes 4. The board is rainbow, no flush draws..maybe a broken straight draw.

Anyhow, I raise big pre-flop, everyone folds cept this guy, the flop comes, I bet, he calls. now, at this point I put him on a king, a brief moment of worry about the quality of my kicker, but then the turn comes a queen, and i'm just like, "hell yeah!". Long story short, I had top two pairs and donked away my money to a guy who flopped a set of 7's.

I know crap like this happens in poker but it's never fun, and if there was one thing about my game that I wish I could improve on, is having someway to spot crap like this.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can't really help that except by raising more pre and think that will hopefully keep out the lower card sets or rag trips.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no formula by which you can see exactly what cards your opponents. But you can guess what cards your opponents based on their game. But at a late stage of the range is large enough. Sometimes, you can most likely assume when your opponent has two pair or trips. AA or KK QQ. For example, if someone makes a raise of 3-4 per hand, it can be assumed that he had AA. Or reraised preflop. When the flop he reraised all-in or rtg size of the pot on the flop, it may say that he has two pair or trips. And he is trying to reduce the chances of getting a flush or straight at opponents. The all-in pre-flop position indicates possible KK or QQ

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when a player has a pocket pair, he strongly raises in rare cases, he plays passively trying to deceive.

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A large bet preflop usually indicates the player wants most everyone to fold. It's easier for a pocket pair to hold up against less people. If the flop has face cards and they don't bet I take this as a sign that they have a pocket pair.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flip would be that theyve hit and are attempting a check raise after betting like they have a pair preflop with QT suited.good players will mix their pre flop action well enough that what u think is usually what they want you to think.i would totally agree with your tell when it comes to average or less experienced players...for sure.P.S.i think its safe to agree with Poker Orifice on this one...gl all.

Last edited:
ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to recognize poket pair of opponent in late stage. Or how to recognize opponent hit three of a kind.

easy. they love to bet pot. lots of made people would bet pots. if you called pot on the turn and enemy player overbets river would mostly mean made hands. Betting every street and betting incredibly close to pot means made hands.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I will bet one pair on board but not two. chances are with two pairs on board the person has trips. For a pair in hole. It usually happens when you play a hand too soon. Your not do for a hand. You only win one in nine with a nine player table.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to recognize poket pair of opponent in late stage. Or how to recognize opponent hit three of a kind.

if the opponent makes several high flop bets. post flop you may suspect he has a strong hand.

magik9118

magik9118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello I find out that Most of the time at the begining of the tourney the player chek After the flop To re raise on the turn.and as the tourney goes on most of the players Get more and more agressive on the flop!!Why?:)

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First you need to recognize the players at the table and then it is easier to recognize what they are playing with their hands whether it is a pair or something else .

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There really is no way to tell that your oppo has a set maybe the way he is betting sometimes but that is the only giveaway and sometimes that can only mean the player is a donk and he only wants to hand you his chips. Really it depends and sometimes you never know a lot of times your just dreaming up monsters. remember hitting set is a rare thing in poker dn't go dreaming up things that happen every once in a blue moon. and think of the next closiest thing like two pair or top pair top kicker. that may be more reasonable.