how to play top set?

F

faf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

This hand is from a first level (100/100) of a live tournament and my stack is very close for the initial stack which is 30,000.

EP raises for 300, MP calls, I am on SB with 4-4 and decide to call as well for set mining purposes. BB also calls and we're 4 hands going to the flop.

The flop comes 2-3-4 with two hearts. I decide to donk, since I have a monster hand but the flop is very wet and I'm playing multiway and bet 600. BB calls, original raiser folds, and the player in MP re-raise for 3,600.

I know that he does have A-5 (at least suited) in his range, maybe 5-6 suited but also many draws, lower sets and some overpairs which I beat. Still raising after I betted OOP into four players is a very strong move.

What's the better move here 3bet for something around 11,000 - 12,000 or just call for pot control?

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand that you're talking about isn't top set, this is over pair! ( I rode your hand was QQ, sorry)

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a top set. He said the flop was 234 and he had 44.

I have had A5 in the first level against someone that flopped middle set myself. We ended up in a raising match until we were all in on the flop. It is a tough situation on that board and would just call for pot control on your end.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think depends of the villain is your next move, if he's tight pre-flop you should 3bet because there's not too much A5, 56 in his range but if he's loose pre-flop I think you should just float.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not 3 betting. You said beginning of tourney, live, with another player behind yet, i think I try pot control. Live players tend to overplay the nuts imo so if def be worried about A5 but you still have 8 outs to beat that. For me, I want to see turn and river and not risking my tourney life in first level

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot control is the way to go but if you are feeling the moment just rip it in, you can always suck out that way after the flop with a full house if you are wrong.

You definitely shouldn't fold but yeah spots like that one are what make poker so awful to play honestly.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With this flop if you have a choice to go all-in or fold do better to fold. If your opponent plays better to limp 3bet, to find out more about his cards.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here you need to prevent the enemy to the nuts. I think you are responding properly so you need to look at the option how to raise the bid so that the opponent either dropped or went to the end. At this stage you have a good hand so you need to strike hard.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely call here. Why risk more than a third of your stack early in the tournament? If a heart comes on the turn it just might go check-check to let you see the river with 10 outs. Regardless of what comes you need to use caution...you did say A5 was in his range.

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the other cards from the flop, if there is no danger for flash or street, then I play slowly, with massive raising if someone put a bets.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since it is so early in the tourney I would call and see how your opponent reacts after the turn. With 2 hands in his range that already have you beaten and a possible flush draw this hand is very dangerous. But sometimes you will make full house on turn and can then extract a lot of chips from opponent with straight or flush....