How to play small pockets? A question pondered frequently.

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Superb post! It's nice that you start with the position. Maybe the most important think alone with the stage of the tournament/your stack.
Small pairs are the best in usage for just call and to wait for a set. Maybe in heads up you may try something with them far more aggressive

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can agree on everything expt EP. Playing raise puts you in a wierd spot.
if you are called behind...what are you representing, if you are reraised than do you fold/call/4bet??
IMHO it's limp or fold, after all it's just a 33. even if the pot is raiseв you can see where you stand. 6bb raise you are running against JJ+ maybe, but defenetly not 22 or AT, if the raise is 3bb - it a standrat that you would make and if you "set mining" operation fails... well you would fold etherway.

B

besece

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post, but I disagree with "never in an unraised pot"

I would open all pairs if folded to me on the cutoff or button unless there is a likely re-steal stack behind me. 22 is just as good as anything to pick up the blinds and antes and it's easy to let go post flop.

If it is then 3bet pre then the normal set mining rules apply. How likely am I going to get 8x the raise amount those 12% times when I hit.

I always comes back down to position and stack sizes.

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post. Obviously, it depends on the situation, but I was wondering what the minimum amount of effective big blinds in order to even consider set mining?

Even on boards with scary flush and straight possibilities, there are some great opportunities to stack someone if they make their hand and you make a boat...

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With small pokets you can open min-raise or 3bb raise for the balance. Next you must play fold vs any 3bets on the preflop. And check/fold another streets without sets

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position always matter and how much itis to see the flop i will most ikely alwayspay to see the flop as long as its reasonable, obviously trying to hit trips but sometimes most any other trips will be higher than yours if somone else is playing 10'sor higher, so in some cases even trying to throw a bigger bet to get out the muck hands like A5 and stuff like is worth a try but that again all depends on positon

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Good thread , I read it . I like playing more passively the pocket pairs preflop early on a tournament , and I don't think there is reason to show so much aggression postflop even in position , of course it depends on the board and on the opponent , but not so much early on a tournament , like on the example wit the pockets 55 .