How to play aggainst a hyper aggressive guy in heads up poker?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Extend the range I would think and pick spots. Don't bluff based on board as much. I ran into a hyper aggressive HU player recently, over the course of 2 days got at least 5 buy ins off them. They'd go to showdown and shove, they didn't win one shove, and most of their shoves showed down with maybe a made low pair or mostly air. I found if I had a decent pair on board, I could call them down or just 3 bet their aggression and they would either shove bluff or fold. I don't think I ever actually saw this person win a hand on showdown, it was all aggression bluffing.

At the same time this can be dangerous if you think they bluff a lot, then you call or shove with mid pair or set only to see they actually had the flush/full. It's much different than ring games esp micro where a re-raise is generally "im beat, I should fold to that."

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggressive players are good to extract value , so it's just hit some value , if any set, is to make a good slow play and let him put a lot of chips in the pot, if you have any solid game just control the pot , then it is only play with good hands against them

L

Lumpz72

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much did you raise PF with AK? Unless he donk bets the flop, I would be pushing all in no matter what.

walkerbear

walkerbear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I basically call every now to the BIG BLIND and then even though he'll re-raise it super high or go allin I will fold. Then eventually, I will get AA or KK and I'll do a normal call and he'll go allin again and I'll call and show some 5-6 type crap and I'll beat him or at least take 75% of his chips.
After this, he will be in tilt mode and go allin every hand so call when you get a decent JQ, QK, KJ, AQ type hand call that allin and you'll get him again.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

YOSEF19888

YOSEF19888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi!
against hyrer lag player you shouldnt bluff
if he mini raises preflop you should play most of the hands and slow play him
if he raise big pre flop you should play only good hands like J10 or better
dont make bets after flop and let him bet for you
good luck
Have to play slow and sure not to get excited about a pair of old should let him do that mistake and it did not bounce up and over to the River

R

Ricardas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to 3bet him or 4 bet or allin before flop, and then he will stop be aggressive. As ge cant have a good hand every time

C

cj2327

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends how deep your stack is. If you can afford it, slow-play him with speculative hands and then take him to value town when you smash the flop. If you are short stacked, play fit or fold poker, realizing that 2nd pair is probably enough.

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually there is nothing difficult, especially if you have a good hand.

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tighten up your hand and pay attention to betting mistakes. Hyper aggressive players often turn good hands into bluffs, turning them just as exploitable as weak tight players.

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to have good patience , keep calm and play your game....

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The advice I can suggest is to at least pick up a pair on the board first with at least a good enough kicker.

Perferably if the opponent is hyper aggressive, re raise all in to see how far opponent is really loose. Then it is left to luck based on all-in push back.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Very solid advice above. I use check raises a lot against maniac players and if I have a really strong holding, check call and let them hang themselves by the river and shove.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you can wait for a great hand good enough to slow play and let the player hang himself. :) Or you can try taking the lead with a good hand and raise him. Sometimes players back off when they meet some aggression. If not at least you have a good hand, call and make him show you he has you beat. Often you'll win the hand.

B

bartleby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it also depends who has the chip lead, I mean I can wait for very good starting hand or to hit the flop if I have a decent lead but if not, then it's mostly wait for the A-high hand and raise or if the stack is really low just push.