how many bullets do you fire?

T

tuckerthecat

Guest
In a SnG last night I was delt AK, 5 limpers before me & I raise 4xBB ( 80 chips ). All but 2 fold. The flop comes 6,10,5 I fire my 1st bullet..a raise of 100, both call. The turn is an 8, I fire another bullet this time a raise of 300 ( pot size bet ) again they both call! Ack. The river is a 3, I give up the hand & check, they both check. 1st guy shows A,J other guy shows 2,2, I lose.
I've noticed in SnG's people will many times call big bets ( like half their stack worth) down to the river then fold to another big bet on the river. Should I have shot my last bullet & gone all in there? I think the biggest leak in my game is getting big cards like AK & losing tons of chips when someone will call with some garbage like 4,7 suited & catch a 7 & call my raises all the way down assuming ( correctly ) that I am betting overcards.
I play a tight aggressive game & would have bet that the same if I had any high pocket pair, I just dont get how people can hang in there with cards like 2,2 etc.
 
t1riel

t1riel

Legend
It's hard to say whether or not they would have folded if you made another big bet on the river. You can look at it both ways.

Why they would fold after a big bet on the river?

The player with the pocket dueces have been chasing a set all the way to the river. Since you checked, it cost the player nothing to check now.

The player with A, J was hoping to catch a pair and chased it to the river. Same as the pocket dueces guy, it costs him ntohing to check now.

Why they would call after a big bet on the river?

They are both donks.

If you were to ask me, I think they would both fold.
 
T

tuckerthecat

Guest
re

ya I dunno if the 2,2 would of folded & I thought he may have caught trips. I think I should of checked the turn & either folded a raise or check raised big. I've had an awful awful run lately ( well not too bad but breaking even ) & its hard to lay down AK when you have been getting garbage for 50 hands in a row.
The last 5 times I've had AA,KK or QQ I ended up losing huge amount of chips. Seems whenever I get good cards ( rarely ) I never ever hit a good flop. IE having AA betting big pre flop & the flop will come up 3 suited ( missing my aces) or J,10,9 or something else just as bad. Last 2 times I've had KK, I bet larger than average 7xBB & ended up losing to A, junk. People in these SnG's just refuse to lay down A, junk so now if I get KK & an A comes on the flop I'm just gonna check & fold to any large bets.
The last 4 SnG's I've played it was just insane on every all-in the worst hand ended up losing & not just coin flips, dominating hands are just getting crushed A,K vs A,4 all in AK vs K10 etc etc
 
t1riel

t1riel

Legend
tuckerthecat said:
ya I dunno if the 2,2 would of folded & I thought he may have caught trips. I think I should of checked the turn & either folded a raise or check raised big. I've had an awful awful run lately ( well not too bad but breaking even ) & its hard to lay down AK when you have been getting garbage for 50 hands in a row.
The last 5 times I've had AA,KK or QQ I ended up losing huge amount of chips. Seems whenever I get good cards ( rarely ) I never ever hit a good flop. IE having AA betting big pre flop & the flop will come up 3 suited ( missing my aces) or J,10,9 or something else just as bad. Last 2 times I've had KK, I bet larger than average 7xBB & ended up losing to A, junk. People in these SnG's just refuse to lay down A, junk so now if I get KK & an A comes on the flop I'm just gonna check & fold to any large bets.
The last 4 SnG's I've played it was just insane on every all-in the worst hand ended up losing & not just coin flips, dominating hands are just getting crushed A,K vs A,4 all in AK vs K10 etc etc

Sit n gos are far as quality play isn't bad, at least compared to freerolls. You have to remember that a sit n go is a lot like the final table of a tournament. It more luck than skill most of the time. Use your skill in the early stages while the blinds are big. Be aggressive. When it gets to the later stages, it's more of choosing what hand to make your move with and steal blinds if you can. There is a really good article on sit n go stragedy in our articles section. It's very useful. Here's the link:

https://www.cardschat.com/sit-n-go-strategy.php

Here another one on low stakes sit no gos:

https://www.cardschat.com/low-stakes-sit-n-go-tournament-strategy.php
 
Jocksrock

Jocksrock

Rock Star
you have just started playing online poker then?...because this is the norm.....the only real money making online poker players are the ones who can swallow thier anger when some bawbag beats you on the turn or river with crap....and the more bawbags at the table with crap...the more chance your solid hand will be beaten....

not that i am a big profit making player cause i cannot manage my own anger
:D :p ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :( :mad: (my face changes on a friday night when a bawbag beats me with shite)
 
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
it depends on the read of your opponent; obviously if you think he's hit the flop, there's no point in betting because he will call you down
if they seem reluctant to call then bet bigger on the next street; they may be fishing and hoping for their overcards to hit
IMO it all depends on your read of them and you make the right decision based on that
 
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Once called on the flop by two other players I give up unless I hit an A or K on the turn. If you're heads up, picking the right time to fire three bullets at the pot becomes more important.

Just remember that a lot of donks will happily call you down with bottom pair, so be careful who you try it on.
 
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
The object of a SNG is to win. For you to go all in on the river with an AK with nothing else is not going to accomplish much there. At the beginning of the game its all about getting the chips even if its the blinds. Your original bet was too small. If you have found out that these players are donks then play them that way. A 200 chip bet at the beginning would have gotten rid of the crap players letting you to stratigise onward. Most likely all but the AJ would have folded and you could have caught him for one more time around by representing the same bet on the flop.
You might also want to go to a higher level of SNGs. If you are playing the $1 or $2 you will get callers on all sort of crap. On Titan they have a 20 seat $5 SNG, Bondi Beach, that gives you a little better level of player quality and not too bad a payoff for 1st, ($50). Try this one, its a good one too hone your playing skills.
 
neishe

neishe

Guest
I think a lot of people overplay ak after the flop, although ak is a very nice hand, if you miss the flop all you have is an ace high! In a raised pot you have to give your opponents credit for some kind of hand. Granted, in this situation your bet on the flop should have taken the pot there and then. however, when your bet on the flop is called especially in a multi way pot you are usually beaten and would do well to apply the breaks.
 
buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Awards
2
tuckerthecat said:
In a SnG last night I was delt AK, 5 limpers before me & I raise 4xBB ( 80 chips ). All but 2 fold. The flop comes 6,10,5 I fire my 1st bullet..a raise of 100, both call. The turn is an 8, I fire another bullet this time a raise of 300 ( pot size bet ) again they both call! Ack. The river is a 3, I give up the hand & check, they both check. 1st guy shows A,J other guy shows 2,2, I lose.
I've noticed in SnG's people will many times call big bets ( like half their stack worth) down to the river then fold to another big bet on the river. Should I have shot my last bullet & gone all in there? I think the biggest leak in my game is getting big cards like AK & losing tons of chips when someone will call with some garbage like 4,7 suited & catch a 7 & call my raises all the way down assuming ( correctly ) that I am betting overcards.
I play a tight aggressive game & would have bet that the same if I had any high pocket pair, I just dont get how people can hang in there with cards like 2,2 etc.
You should have fired that third bullet, when you gave up, that did it, you always have to fire as many bullets as you need to, if you fired once more you might have won the pot. buck:hello:
 
C

clarkyballs

Enthusiast
If you're going to sit there and fire bb's on every street, you may as well fire the bazooka after the flop. If some turd calls post flop with low pair, chances are he will continue to call if you keep gradually increasing the bet on each street...he is becoming more invested. Fire the big boy right away and send the donkey packing.
 
Osmann

Osmann

Guest
bubbasbestbabe said:
The object of a SNG is to win. For you to go all in on the river with an AK with nothing else is not going to accomplish much there. At the beginning of the game its all about getting the chips even if its the blinds. Your original bet was too small. If you have found out that these players are donks then play them that way. A 200 chip bet at the beginning would have gotten rid of the crap players letting you to stratigise onward. Most likely all but the AJ would have folded and you could have caught him for one more time around by representing the same bet on the flop.
You might also want to go to a higher level of SNGs. If you are playing the $1 or $2 you will get callers on all sort of crap. On Titan they have a 20 seat $5 SNG, Bondi Beach, that gives you a little better level of player quality and not too bad a payoff for 1st, ($50). Try this one, its a good one too hone your playing skills.

The main objective of a SNG is not to win it but simply place in the money. Once you're in the money you should start focussing on winning it.
 
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
tuckerthecat said:
I just dont get how people can hang in there with cards like 2,2 etc.
Expecting that other players' actions will always seem reasonable is a guaranteed exercise in frustration. So don't be concerned if you don't. In fact, be happy that there are people who play like this since you are definitely +EV against them in the long run. As for this particular hand, an important consideration is the opponents' styles of play. Against some, it's better to fire the third time, while against others, it's not. So without any info on the two opponents had been playing, it's difficult to say whether betting out again would heve been the best choice or not.
 
Top