How to make a continuation bet ?

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually when I'm playing poker and I'm going to open two cards of a certain position, for example UTG where the range of hands is more restricted and on the flop it opens A, K or Q I always make a continuation bet representing the UTG range.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that u can exploit very effectivelly weak players by making 1/3 of the pot every time u're in position against them on a 1vs1 situation. Out of position u can't do that, it's a way different play and playing.
But I do recommend studying 'ranges' and 'range advantage', and them u'll thinly adjust your c-bets to get the most of this very profitable play.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
UTG our range usually should be tighter compared to any other position , in dry boards like A 2 7 , K T5 or Q 4 4 vs for example BB you can safely bet 1/3 or even 1/4 flop because we have the range advantage compared to our opponent and most importantly those flops are super dry and we don't need much protection.

In flops like 8 7 2 , T 7 3 etc we should bet bigger 1/2 or 2/3 etc mainly because those flops are dynamic(means that they can change in the next street/for example an A can come on the turn and so on) and we need more protection.

Personally I change my c bet sizings based on the above factors and furthermore on my opponent or the phase of the tournament. I mean my strategy is not super static and I don't use by default one and only sizing because I find it ''wrong'' if I am allowed to say that I have some ''experience'' at the game.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not only position and range matters here.

Of course, your range show broaden up the later you get in a position but you also have to be aware of who are the villains.

One thing you should be aware of is table selection. Of course that's only possible if you're playing cash and the platform that I know that allows you to do it is PS.

So, depending on who you're playing with, your position, how do you want to represent yourself at the table will make a big influence on when, how and why you're c-betting.

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Continuation bet more in position than out of position. Overall you should be continuation betting approximately 67% of the time. The size of the continuation bet is based on the board texture and your position at the table.